I am planning a trip to southern Italy, and I'd like to have your feedback on my itinerary.
Arrival in Rome in late June taking a three hour train ride to Sulmona
- Sulmona: 4 nights with a day trip to Scanno
Two hour train ride down to Termoli and fifty minute boat to the Tremiti archipelago.
- Tremiti Islands: 4 nights with no day trips.
Fifty minute boat back to Termoli and three hour train ride down to Lecce.
- Lecce: 4 nights with a day trip to Gallipoli
Two hour train ride up to Bari.
- Bari: 4 nights with day trips to Alberobello and Matera
Four hour train ride back to Rome
- Rome: 4 nights to revisit the city with no day trips.
End of my trip in the middle of July. Return home from Rome.
What do you think of the logistics? Am I being too ambitious? My main goal is to stroll, visit churches, spend time on the beach, eat and enjoy the atmosphere. I've been thinking about cutting off Bari and add an extra night to visit Alberobello from Lecce in order to make it shorter and less hectic (I'm not a great fan of day trips). However, while I would've loved to spend a couple of nights in Matera, I cannot visit it from any of the other destinations as a day trip.
I visited Campania and Sicily in 2008 combining train/boats, and while I had a great time, I have to admit that I was a little tired by the third week. Back then my itinerary was: Naples-Capri-Amalfi-Taormina-Cefalù-Palermo.
Thanks for your feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Budget trip
- 2 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 3 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 4 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 5 Driving
- 6 3 weeks driving the Netherlands
- 7 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 8 Algarve Town Selection
- 9 Tips for first trip to UK
- 10 paris to london- day trip
- 11 Browsing Barcelona
- 12 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 13 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 14 How many miles is a good 'walking tour'?
- 15 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 16 Buying a motorcycle in Europe??
- 17 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 18 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 19 ROMA Pass inclusions. - 3 days in Rome
- 20 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 21 Portugal
- 22 Pisa Central to Hotel Kinzica at late night.
- 23 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 24 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 25 GTG Paris December 2017