Southern Italy (Benevento-Sorrento) –- Returning Home after 60 years - HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2009, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father was born in Benevento Italy which is outside of Naples. During the war when he was only 13 he was forced to leave for the US. So after all this time we are planning a family trip. This is something he has been dreaming about for a long time but I am overwhelmed with information. We are considering 15 days for traveling in Italy but will be doing so without a car. We would like to visit Naples (although I am somewhat apprehensive) and visit his hometown of Benevento (I have no idea what is there). From there we would want to visit Rome and some of its surrounding areas. I can only find limited information on Benevento. I am thinking that an apartment rental would be a better option for us. Here are some of my questions:

•Does anyone know anything about Benevento? Can one visit Benevento without a car?
•Does anyone have any suggestions of where to base oneself for a visit?
•Is it reasonable to be based in Sorrento and hire a driver to visit for a day? If so, does anyone have a good driver recommendation that is reasonably priced?
•I am a little hesitant about staying in Naples, however, would there be any good locations to be based there?
•Any apartment rental recommendations for Sorrento or Rome? We will be using public transportation and would like to be close to the center for ease and convenience? I am looking at a price range of $150-$200 US per night. I know I may have to go above this.

I want to this to be a good experience for him without a lot of hectic traveling.

Thanks for any advice,
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:48 AM

It looks like a fantastic voyage! Have you looked at the Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benevento

oo.com/p-travelguide-485859-benevento_vacations-i

Not having been to the town, I can't really advise, but it looks like there are nice hotels in the town if you follow the links in the links I posted above.

It looks like the town has good train connections.

Finally, people who can help might want to know if anybody in your party has mobility issues.

I hope your father has a wonderful visit! Do you think there is any way of getting in touch with people already there --- relatives? People who might help you plan?

Were it me, I wouldn't heistate to write directly to the tourist office in town, or the mayor!

http://www.comune.benevento.it/cittabenevento/home.php
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The drive from Naples to Benevento is more than an hour and two hours from Sorrento. The train ride from Naples to Benevento is two hours, and most options involve a change. Starting in Sorrento adds another hour and an additional change.

Depending on what else you want to see/do in the area, Caserta would be nice alternative base. 30 minutes to Naples by train. 45-60 minutes to Benevento. The drive from Caserta to Benevento would still take an hour or so. If you choose Caserta, be sure to visit the palace.

Depending on your father's energy level and any mobility issues, I'd sleep at least one night in Benevento rather than spend hours in transit in one day.

You didn't mention the time of year of this visit, but if during the hot weather months I'd definitely slow down, factor in mid-day rest and watch your dad for signs of dehydration and/or heat stroke.
Old May 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that my father is in good health and there are really no mobility issues. We are planning for a September visit but I haven't made reservations yet. I was debately between September and October, but thought October might be risky weatherwise further north.
Old May 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM

That is all very doable--you just neeed to plan the logistics. I agree with Jean to spend at least one night in Benevento. Weather should not be a major issue that time of year. I know 3 good drivers in that region but expect to pay about 35E per hour for their time.
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:25 PM

Sorry, I just realized one of the links I gave you didn't work. This one might help you.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...a-Hotels.html#

It might be that more than one night in Benevento would give your father a chance to talk to people. I tend to think people in Benevento might be as interested in him as he is in being there.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

In response to Bobthenavigator, you mentioned you know three good drivers, would you be able to list them. I am hesitant about driving myself, so I will probably need a driver to see Benevento.

Would everyone recommend that it is best to be based in Benevento for a day or so rather than trying to commute from Naples or Sorrento? Any suggestions for hotels or apartments to stay there, again my budget would be $150-200 US dollars and I realize that I may need to go above that.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Is it just you and your father on that budget?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:05 AM

Is there something else you or your father want to do in the area, outside Benevento?

I know if I were taking my mother to revisit her ancestral home, she would want to spend more than a day there and probably wouldn't really be interested in other sightseeing. Those private car service bills would begin to add up if I were commuting to the target town -- money I could be spending on a good hotel in Benevento. I suspect that in Benevento, you can easily hire a taxi to drive you around when needed.

But if you want to do things in the area other than visit Benevento, Sorrento is much more user-friendly than Napoli. Check tripadvisor for hotel recommendations.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:15 AM

check out the president hotel in benevento
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:35 AM

I would make Sorrento your base on the AC and hire one of these drivers to take you to Benevento. Why not plan it to go to Rome after you leave Benevento and just train there.

NAVIGATING on the AMALFI COAST
HOW TO GET THERE: You have to want to—it may not be easy. The best option is to land in Naples, but that is not always feasible. Most travelers access it from Rome by train to Naples—a trip of less than two hours. Once in Naples, you have a choice. The local commuter train, Circumversuviana, leaves from the same train station and takes about an hour to Sorrento, with a possible stop at “ Pompeii Scavi” to see the famed ruins. However, to access any of the coastal towns you must then take a SITA bus or a taxi.

The best option is to hire a private driver to meet you at the Naples station or airport and take you directly to your hotel. Expect to pay about 100E.
www.cuomonet.it www.tourofitaly.com www.francescomarrapese.com

WHERE TO LOCATE & WHAT TO SEE: Ah, what not to see? This is the most stunning scenery in all of Italy---be sure to pack the camera. Your daily activities will be somewhat determined by your location. SORRENTO is really on the Bay of Naples and not the Amalfi Coast [AC], but is the most convenient location for day trips to Pompeii and the Isle of Capri. The town is larger & relatively flat. In contrast, POSITANO is the most spectacular village on the AC but is almost vertical and a real challenge for your legs.
Hotel choices in Positano should be evaluated by their location in town relative to the beach or position on the hill above the beach. AMALFI & RAVELLO are other popular destinations but are further down the coast.

NOTE: Any of the drivers above can be hired for day trip excursions but should be booked well in advance. Expect to pay about 35E/hour.

Here are my top five activities for this fabulous coast:
• Seeing the coast from the water---the best option. Hire a boat and pray for good weather—here is one www.gennaroesalvatore.it

• Day trip to Capri by hydrofoil from Sorrento or Positano—in season

• Day trip to Ravello by local bus or driver. This lovely village is high above the coast with great views---see Villa Cimbrone.

• Day trip to Pompeii. Plan on spending 4 hours to see it well. You can take the commuter train from Sorrento or hire a driver.

• Shopping for ceramics and sipping LIMONCELLO. The latter is not to be missed---I still have it almost daily at home after dinner.

WHERE TO EAT: I hope you like seafood. Here are some of my favorites:
* In Positano: Da Vincenzo Buca di Bacco Da Constantino

* In Ravello: Cumpa Cosimo Villa Maria

* In Sorrento: Trattoria Da Emilia L’Antica Trattoria
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would spend at least two nights in Benevento. You might find some things closed that your Dad might want to see and need to visit them the next day. I think everything will be overwhelming for him the first day as memories flood back and will want to see more as he adjusts to being there again. It's likely there will be old friends still there to visit.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

It will be just the two of us traveling. In reference to his contacts there, unfortunately he hasn't communicated with his relatives after he left as a child. He was an only child, but had aunts/uncles. He communicated for a while with an aunt, but he lost contact with her long ago. He has tried this past month to locate her but he has been unsuccesful, however he has been told she is still alive. He did find another relative and he remembers him. I think for him he just wants to see his home town and hopefully meet his aunt again. I know it will be a very emotional visit for him.

Since this is our first visit to Italy we defintely want to visit other areas. I was planning on devouting 6 days to southern Italy. Would that be doable? From reading the replies it does appear I should budget 2 days at least for Benevento. From there I am planning on basing in Sorrento, but still having difficulty finding apartments.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:17 AM

Be aware that much of the sightseeing agenda on bob's list involves towns that are very hilly with staircases instead of streets, and that September most likely will be hot. I would not take an elderly person to Pompeii in September.

I hope you have a very successful visit! Best wishes to your father already from Italia.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:20 AM

just saw this thread!

I was in Benevento for the first time last year...we have a house less than an 1 1/2 away. Benevento REALLY gets a bad lot in the guide books, IMHO! I really enjoyed it...lots to see really...museum, Roman theater, the Arch of Trajan (very well preserved and super-impressive), Egyptian obelisk, Santa Sofia church, c. 760 (was closed for renovations when I was there last)...the "main" pedestrian street is surprisingly charming and fashionable with shops, cafe, etc. I do hope you post after your visit because I feel the town is definitely overlooked and under-visited!!!

There are easy bus and train connections - but, I had a car, so I have no idea where the train station is (in Avellino, for example, the train station fairly far form the main part of town, but the bus stop is right in town) I do actually think a car would be easy though if you want to explore a bit - Benevento is big...so you may want to drive around and the surrounding coutryside is beautiful and filled with hills and vineyards and it's much easier to explore with a car. (and driving in Benevento and Avellino is fairly easy - not like Naples or the coast at all!) If you do opt for public transport though, there are local buses that would go from the train station anyway and there are also taxis in Benevento (I'm assuming he still speaks some Italian?? will make things much easier as it is not easy to find English speakers in the Benevento and Avellino provinces!)

I'm sure I'm forgetting to say things about Benevento (have been meaning to write a blog post about it know with photos for a few months now) If you decide to explore the countryside, I have some links at http://southernitaly.wordpress.com/useful-area-links/ - mostly Avellino area though.

-Nicole
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:27 AM

A good place to try and locate people is Pagine Bianche (Italian phone book white pages):

http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html

Grand Hotel Italiano is located right by the train station in Benevento and shows doubles at 88 Euros:

http://www.hotel-italiano.it/default.htm

Le Stanze del Sogno is in the pedestrianized zone of the center and shows double (doppia) rooms for 65 Euro:

http://www.lestanzedelsogno.it/home.html

Since returning is the reason, and probably highlight of your father's trip, I would spend at least 3 days there.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:39 AM

If given the choice, you should definaetly choose the pedestrian zone over a train station location - many areas around town are very modern/industrial-looking. (although, for some reason, I can't get the photos to load on my computer right now, so I;'m not sure what it looks like)
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Zeppole - thanks for the tips, I know that the Amalfi Coast is notorious for being hilly. I guess, I should keep that in mind as far as what towns to visit. I didn't realize that September would still be too hot to visit Pompeii. What towns would you suggest to visit. My father is in fairly good shape and still does a lot of walking, although, he does have some medical issues. Would October be a better time to visit? I thought the weather can get rainy in October?

CasaDelCipresso - Thanks for the info on Benevento, doesn't seem as rural as the websites make out. My father does speak Italian, although it may be a little off base, but everyone seems to understand him. Maybe I should think about renting a car for a day or two. Can one do that in Benevento, what should I aware of. Although, I probably still feel more comfortable with someone else doing the driving.

Bob - thanks for the info on Amalfi Coast, sounds wonderful. I am beginning to wonder if I should devote my 15-16 days (which is still flexible-might be able to add a day or 2 if budget allows) to just Rome & southern Italy, or am I doing to much with my initial plan of flying into Venice and making our way down to Naples and then spending 6 days in this area. I tend to want to see everything, but again, I don't want to make it hard for him. Looking at the rates it appears that Sept is high for hotels, would October be better?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:06 AM

Just wanted to add have a fabulous trip - how lovely for your Dad! Please come back and report afterwards. I would love to read your trip report.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:15 AM

Here is the trenitalia site in English:

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

From Rome to Benevento you want to input "Roma Termini" to Benevento. It shows that there are direct Eurostar trains that take only 2 hours from Rome with 1 stop in Caserta.

Here's a website for a service to hire a car with a driver in Benevento:

http://www.mazzoneturismo.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -