Southern Germany - special family place?

Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Southern Germany - special family place?

We will have about a week in Southern Germany. We are a family of 5 and I was wondering if there is a recommendation for an awesome deal on a hotel or house? Sometimes I let the accommodation drive the itinerary - especially when we need 5 beds. I prefer a home base rather than scattered nights.
Jun 23rd, 2013, 10:43 PM

When are you planning on going?
Jun 24th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

June, 2014.
Jun 24th, 2013, 04:25 PM

There was a guy who used to post here on Fodor's a lot called Bavaria Ben. He had the most awesome knowledge of accommodation in southern Germany, particularly Bavaria, and had quite a following here. He has a website:

http://www.bensbauernhof.com

I am sure you will get some good ideas from it.

Lavandula
Jun 24th, 2013, 06:06 PM

Where are you going to be? "Southern Germany" is pretty much where most visitors to Germany end up, and it's huge. Black Forest? Upper Bavaria? Franconia? Lake Constance region?

I like Bavaria Ben's site as well. If you don't know where you want to end up, peruse the trip reports there. I have one there myself, and there are dozens of others, most with helpful details, links, photos, maps, etc. - a good place for idea gathering, as lavandula says.
Jun 27th, 2013, 05:30 PM

If you like Salzburg as a base the Haus Am Moos is a great family B&B that is very reasonable.
Jun 28th, 2013, 03:55 AM

If you go to Southern Germany, you should visit Nuremberg. It's a wonderful city. It has these medieval buildings and a strong castle. When you walk up the small streets heading to the castle you pass by many bars and pubs and also one small "brauerei" Brewery where you can by typically franconian beer. Franconia is the region around Nuremberg. The region Fränkische Schweiz (Franconian Swizzerland) is near by and has a beautiful nature, if you prefer going for a walk, cycling or climbing.

Search this Thread