Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Southern France vs. Austria-Germany? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/southern-france-vs-austria-germany-27790/)

John Jun 27th, 1998 01:09 PM

Southern France vs. Austria-Germany?

We have a group of seven adults trying to decide between trips to southern France and Paris or Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, and Budapest. Three of us have never been to Europe. Any advice and comments would be appreciated. We plan to travel in mid-October.

ED Jun 27th, 1998 04:21 PM

JOHN: YOU HAVE A DIFFICULT DECISION, I HAVE BEEN TO ALL THOSE PLACES, TO PARIS AND FRANCE 20 TIMES, HOWEVER I REALLY LIKE VIENNA AND BUDAPEST, I LIVED FOR 6 MONTHS IN BUCHAREST, ROMANIA. IF IT IS FIRST TRIP YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH PARIS AND SO. FRANCE. <BR>PARIS IS MY FAVORITE CITY IN THE WORLD, I KNOW IT BETTER THAN DALLAS WHERE I HAVE LIVED NEAR FOR 15 YRS. HAVE FUN, ED

John Jun 27th, 1998 09:26 PM

<BR>I've been all over Europe (except Scandinavia) and have hit all of the places you are considering. Since you happen to have chosen too excellent itineraries, my advice to you would depend upon what types of things you are most interested in seeing as a group and, when you are going.

Rich Jun 29th, 1998 08:29 PM

For those of you that have not been to Europe, i think you will enjoy Paris and southern France (assume you mean Provence, Riviera, etc.) just a little bit more as a first trip. Weather is apt to be marginally better in France, particularly the Southern portion. Depending on the specific itinerary you plan, each venue will be wonderful. Be careful to allow enough time to enjoy the areas you visit, not just whistle-stop through them. That will make all the difference.

John Rish Jul 8th, 1998 11:15 AM

<BR>Thanks for the good advice! After several weeks of discussing, arguing, debating, and occasionally yelling, we have made the decision to go to France. And we are all still friends and our marriages are intact! Plans include several days in Paris, then Tours and the Loire Valley, then the train to Avignon to check out Provence and the Riviera area. Obviously, many decisions are yet to be made, so any further suggestions are welcome. If the trip is as much fun as the planning, we're in for a real treat! <BR> <BR>

Lanny Jul 8th, 1998 12:22 PM

I am travelling to France on 27 August, starting at Lyon and sailing down river to Avignon on a week long river cruise/wine country tour taking in local sights in a series of day tours before picking up a rental car at Avignon and travelling through Provence and the Riviera district, settled for 6 days in a hotel in Nice. This is my second trip over to this area -- I am contemplating taking early retirement in southern France in the next handful of years, so if you keep my e-mail address, I return to Canada after 10 September so I should be able to give you a few tips you may find useful that I hope to have gleaned from my trip at that point. <BR> <BR>The other correspondents are right about all the places you want to see being wonderful. Last year I was in southern Germany, Austria, including Vienna (nosebleed prices), Bratislava and Budapest, which was particularly fascinating, and these are places your group should contemplate visiting in subsequent trip(s). <BR> <BR>

John Rish Jul 9th, 1998 09:33 AM

Lanny- Your trip next month sounds grat, and we will certainly look forward to hearing about it, especially the Provence region. <BR> Does anyone have any advice about the chateaux country around Tours? We'd be particularly interested in suggestions as to which chateaux to put on the must-see list--I'm sure Chambord should be included, but it would be interesting to hear first-hand opinions. <BR>

Neil Horton Jul 10th, 1998 08:24 AM

I don't think you will go wrong with either itinerary as both trips would be fantastic. I have been to all of the places mentioned. Just did the Paris/Loire Valley/Normandy last year and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. 4th time to France and noted a big difference in the way tourists are treated this time. The French were very friendly. Make sure you go to Mont St Michelle. It is great although it may be cold at that time of year. <BR> <BR>We are going to Munich/Black Forest this year and always enjoy Germany. People are also friendly and everything is so clean and neat. Vienna is one of the greatest cities on this earth. My wife had to drag me there the first time and I drag her back now. If you go to Germany, Munich go up the Romantic Road to see Dinklesbuhl and Rothenburg. Neat medieval type towns. <BR> <BR>One thing to consider which may help you enjoy the trip is do people in your group speak German or French. Not necessary because English is well spoken but always adds to the fun to brush off an unused language that you learned in High school or college. Have a great time <BR> <BR>Neil