Search

Where to go for Italian beach with 2 year old

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2016, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go for Italian beach with 2 year old

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a week-long trip in early June to Italy with our (then) 23 month old son. We live in London, so we won't have to worry about time changes. We are planning to arrive in Rome and spend a few days there (where we've been previously), and then want to spend the rest of our time at a beach town. We are looking for recommendations for where to go -- we were considering the Amalfi coast, but are concerned that it may be too difficult with our son -- we'll have a hiking backpack, which our son likes, so we could move around with him in that, but thoughts about if the Amalfi area is feasible or other suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 07:36 AM

If you want to stretch out on a beach where your son can play in the sand and the water, the Amafi coast isn't that kind of place.

Sperlonga, between Rome and Naples, has a nice beach in a fairly scenic spot, but not the same kind of spectacular scenery as the Amalfi Coast. It can be reached by train and bus, but a car might be an asset.

The Adriatic coast of Italy has many family-type beaches, and the sea is more placid there, but there's not so much scenery.
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 11:28 AM

Sperlonga or Gaeta. No wow factor like the Amalfi coast, but good family beaches and a lot more affordable.
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 01:24 PM

The Amalfi Coast is great for families. Maiori and Vietri Sul Mare have sandy beaches.

http://www.positano.com/en/e/beaches...ori-and-minori

http://www.positano.com/en/e/beaches-of-vietri-sul-mare

Vietri is also easy accessible as it is on a train line (Rome-Salerno-Vietri).
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 02:58 PM

I second the idea of Maiori, the beaches looked pretty nice there, and quite flat and accessible from the street.

Forte dei Marmi is nice too especially if you are able/willing to spring for one of the beach clubs each day.
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies everyone! It seems we may have some options in Amalfi -- thanks!

Since we haven't booked our plane ticket yet, I thought I'd also ask -- what are your thoughts about the lake district? Any sense for if that would be easier with a toddler? We're really just looking to go somewhere in Italy that we haven't been, where we can relax and enjoy good weather/food!

Thanks!
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 10:15 AM

Which lake district? There are three huge lakes in Italy (Garda, Como, and Maggiore) and many smaller ones, all of them fine with a toddler. I have a fondness for Orta, but others will disagree.
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 11:34 AM

If you are thinking of having a beach experience either on the Italian coast or in the Lakes, remember, early June is before the start of the bathing season and there is likely to be next to no facilities, loungers, beach hut/changing cabins and lifeguard on duty, maybe some at weekends but not weekdays. This is particularly so in the cooler northern Lakes.
Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 07:24 PM

You might also consider Lago Bracciano just north of Rome. A two year old will not need too extensive a beach scene - - the beaches there in June are modest but will be uncrowded, and the towns on the lake are very pleasant: https://www.virtualtourist.com/trave...no-TG-C-1.html