Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Southern England-Northern France in June?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/southern-england-northern-france-in-june-1672715/)

cavergirl Oct 10th, 2019 01:27 PM

Southern England-Northern France in June??

We have been to England and France numerous times but never in the summer. We would like to spend about a month driving around Southeast/Southwest England taking in one or more Channel Islands, then going over to France to see Normandy and Brittany. Are we out of our minds trying to do this in June? I am concerned about crowds and traffic. Also any suggestions on must sees would be appreciated. I have just begun to work on an itinerary. Thanks in advance for your input.

Moderator3 Oct 10th, 2019 02:23 PM

Moved to Europe board and tagged for UK and France

janisj Oct 10th, 2019 02:26 PM

Just quick since I'm dashing out . . . but >>Are we out of our minds trying to do this in June?<<

Not at all. June is not high season in either country. In general schools are still in session through June and into early July - so May/June are a perfect time for this sort of trip.

StCirq Oct 10th, 2019 02:30 PM

No, June is a perfect time to visit. We don't start seeing what I'd call "crowds" her in the Dordogne until July 1.

StuDudley Oct 10th, 2019 02:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We were in Brittany for 4 weeks last year - during the last 2 weeks of June & 1st 2 weeks of July. We were in Normandy this year the 2nd & 3rd week of June & in Brittany the last week in June & 1st week of July. Minimal crowds. As others stated - in France schools don't get out till after my wife's birthday - July 6.

However - it was hot, hot, hot most of the time both years.

Attached is my Normandy & Brittany itinerary.

Stu Dudley

cavergirl Oct 10th, 2019 03:26 PM

Thanks. I thought that was where i was.

cavergirl Oct 10th, 2019 03:27 PM

Thanks so much for your reply and itinierary.

cavergirl Oct 10th, 2019 03:28 PM

Great. Thanks.

cavergirl Oct 10th, 2019 03:29 PM

I printed out your detailed itinerary and will review it.

bilboburgler Oct 11th, 2019 12:10 AM

South England and Northern France is a big place, what are your interests?

hetismij2 Oct 11th, 2019 01:41 AM

IS the month for both southern England and Northern France? or a month in each? You could easily spend a month in each and then some. If it is a month in total you will need to compromise on what you see.
You can visit the Channel Islands from France much easier than from the UK.
June is normally a good time for both areas, but can still have horrible weather. Heatwaves are the exception (for now) rather than the rule.

StuDudley Oct 11th, 2019 06:53 AM

>>>
>>>Heatwaves are the exception (for now) rather than the rule.<<<

There have been "exceptional" heatwaves each of the past 4 years in France in June. I don't have recall for 5 years ago This year the temps reached 113F in Montpellier. It was in the upper 90s in Brittany the past 2 years, and in the 100s in St Tropez & Bedoin/Provence in 2017. Year before, that it "fried" most the corn in the fields in the Dordogne in August, and in June it hit record temps in Italy.

Tne "new" norm.

Stu Dudley

kerouac Oct 11th, 2019 07:16 AM

June is perfect, because school has not let out yet.

During the unexpected heat waves, the coastal areas have been the best place to be. Nevertheless, you should worry more about it being cool and rainy.

hetismij2 Oct 11th, 2019 07:37 AM

Since OP is not planning on visiting the south of France I don't think they need worry about a heatwave. The chances of cool and damp in June are still hugher than hot and dry in Brittany. If it reaches 90F it will still be quite comfortable for most things. 32C is not a ridiculous temperature for on holiday. They aren't planning on building a house or digging a garden after all.

cavergirl Oct 11th, 2019 07:56 AM

As I have been researching and reading Stu's itinerary (it is wonderful - so detailed), i am beginning to think that the two can not be combined.

cavergirl Oct 11th, 2019 07:58 AM

I was thinking that might be the case, too about the Channel Islands. May just skip England and focus on Brittany and Normandy and add in the Channel Islands or perhaps a few days in the Champagne region before heading west. I haven't checked driving distances yet so not sure how feasible that would be.

cavergirl Oct 11th, 2019 07:58 AM

Yes. Sadly that seems to be the case.

cavergirl Oct 11th, 2019 07:59 AM

When i checked the weather averages, they are showing low 70's. Hard to predict weather anymore.

cavergirl Oct 11th, 2019 08:00 AM

Well we might build a house if we like it enough!

hetismij2 Oct 11th, 2019 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by cavergirl (Post 16999135)
Well we might build a house if we like it enough!

:)
In four weeks you can really enjoy Normandy and Brittany. Try and visit inland Brittany as well as the coast if you can. Rich in Arthurian legend and ancient trees, standing stones without the crowds of Carnac and so on. The stones at Erdeven are also impressive, not crowded and free to wak around. If you go there are more off down a path in the corner.