Southern, Eastern or Northern Europe

Aug 5th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Southern, Eastern or Northern Europe

Okay, I'll have two weeks in Europe. Following are my three options followed by what I have enjoyed of Europe thus far for comparison sake.

1. North (Scandanavia and Denmark)
2. South (Lisbon, Barcelona, Marseille Nice)
3. East (Warsaw, Krakow, Prague, Germany)

Barcelona and Edinburgh have been my favorite European destinations so far. They're clean, diverse, lively with nice architecture and plenty of photo opportunities.

Dublin and Madrid have been my least favorite destinations. They seem a bit seedy and mundane in my opinion.

So based on this, which itinerary should I opt for or would you opt for?
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:57 PM

What about Switzerland? I thought Interlaken was beautiful as well as Murren.
Aug 5th, 2005, 09:50 PM

My vote would be East--Berlin, Prague and Krakow are great cities. I haven't been to Warsaw but people have said Krakow is the choice if only one city in Poland. You could spend two weeks just in Germany but the 3 cities plus Dresden. Berlin and Prague are just about 4-5 hours apart by train, with Dresden in the middle. The architecture, history and arts are the major assets of both Berlin and Prague.
Karkow and Prague were saved from bombing in WWII so both have wonderful buildings. You can go to Zakopane and Auschwitz/Birkenau from Krakow. The Charles Bridge at night in Prague is beautiful and romantic. Berlin is my favorite city with the nightlife, food, culture and friendly people.

You will have no trouble finding English-speakers in any of the cities I found Krakow and Prague to be very inexpensive, especially for meals.
Aug 5th, 2005, 09:56 PM
rex

Or you could go to Eastern Europe: Russia, Belarus, Moldova, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia... in contrast to the Central European countries you indicate (as they prefer to be known, by the people who live there, since they are smack dab in the center of Europe)!

Best wishes,

Rex
Aug 6th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Rex, good point about *Eastern* Europe. I do want to go there but not at this time.

I should also say that I'll be visiting in late August/early September and that I'm a single guy traveling alone.

Kim, I've been to Switzerland (Zurich). I do want to visit other parts of Switzerland at some point as well.

I lived in Europe for two years and visited London, Edinburgh, Dublin, Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, Rome, Venice, Florence, Naples, Sicily, Zurich, and Vienna. I would certainly like to revisit most of these places again but first I want to visit new territory.
Aug 6th, 2005, 04:42 AM

..Have you considered Tallen, Riga, St. Petersburg?
Aug 6th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Well - I wold neer do Spain/Portugal in August - just too hot to be enjoyable.

And trip # 3 is way too much to do in 3 weeks. You would have to choose parts of it.

As for Berlin - much of it is incredibly seedy/tacky - thought there are some well-preserved buildings - much of it is faux 1950/60's US mall architecture.

At that time of year I would do Scandinavia - very pretty towns and cities - should not be so crowded that time of year, lots to see and do - and some interesting architecture (somewhat reminiscent of either Amsterdam or the Hanseatic League cities - but not identical). Also - lots of good water/sports activities.
Aug 6th, 2005, 05:01 PM

I have an idea. Forget all cities of more than 10,000 population and see the best of Europe. Pick your region based on seasonal considerations.
Aug 6th, 2005, 07:15 PM
rex

Wow, bob! That sounds like something I would say!

But maybe excessive. If/when I head to Hungary, or (back to) Poland, could it be that the best plan would be to pass on Budapest? ot Krakow?