Southampton UK: Misc Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2018, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing a tran-Atlantic crossing (SOU to Ft Lauderdale) which sails on Sunday, January 7. I'm flying in a day early and will stay overnight in Southampton and have a few questions. I'm arriving at Gatwick on Saturday, Jan 6 @ 10:00 am and was going to take a train to SOU, but it appears that there aren't any direct trains from Gatwick to SOU on the weekends. So, I'll take a national Express coach leaving Gatwick at 13:20 and arriving at SOU Coach Station at 15:55. This is what I need help with:

I'm staying at the Premier Inn Southampton West Quay. I"ll have one medium sized (checked) suitcase on wheels and am fit, so can I walk from the Coach Station to the hotel? On Google maps and rome2rio, it look like I can take Western Esplanade and then turn left onto Harbor Parade. But, distances are deceptive and, more importantly, are there sidewalks and crossing lights for pedestrians?

Also, I want to go to a stationery store for a 2-ring binder, inserts, tabs, etc. I bought my old one at Ryman's but there isn't one close. Would you recommend WH Smith for stationery items?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 05:47 AM

Trains round here are a mess on weekends(that's when they do the maintenance work). I'd take a direct bus too under your circumstances.

Dead easy to get from the coach station to your hotel. Yes there are pavements (sidewalks) and pedestrian crossings along the whole route (places here are much better catered for pedestrians than in the US - I remember once having to drive from one side of a busy road to another during a US trip as it was impossible to do so on foot). It will take you no more than 10 minutes, walking along the route you've correctly identified (past the large multi-storey car parks which form part of the West Quay shopping centre).

WHSmith sells the stationery items you mentioned - there's one in Southampton city centre within walking distance of your hotel (though be aware the opening hours may be a lot less than you're used to back home).
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Gordon - thank you! I'm glad to hear that it's easy, and safe, to walk to my hotel from the bus station. As soon as I check into the hotel, i'll make a beeline for WH Smith and M&S since I noticed that Marks closes at 7:30 on Saturday. Assume that I'm best off taking a cab from the hotel to Ocean Quay Dock (I think Cunard said #6)?
Old Jan 4th, 2018, 06:19 AM

Yes definitely take a taxi from your hotel to the cruise ship terminal. I've seen people walking in dragging their suitcases behind, but everything is spread out and industrial looking down by the docks, so much better to be dropped off by car.

Be very careful to unambiguously confirm which terminal your ship departs from - there are several different ones spread out over a large distance.
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Back again - my flight was cancelled due to huge snow storm delays in northeast US, so now I'm flying into LHR. Buses are sold out, so i'm going to hire a car service from LHR to Southampton. Any one have any favorites? (I know it will be costly, but at this point, I've had to spend twice as much on a new flight so don't want to hang around the airport for a later coach or take trains w/multiple stops).