Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

South West France hotel advice sought, please.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are talking about breaking the habit of a life time and spending Christmas in a hotel somewhere in the vicinity. We usually fly into Toulouse and have a car there so it makes sense for that to be the point of arrival. The problem is I'm struggling to find a hotel that would be good.

We'd like somewhere country inn style- doesn't have to be posh or Chateauish- but nice rooms, nice food, nice place to relax for a couple of days, arriving the 23rd and leaving on the 26th. I'd like nice views and it must have a salon or pleasant place to sit and read. I'd prefer not to have to drive more than 2 or 3 hours on the 26th, but am relaxed about whether that's from north into the Lot, south east towards Carcassonne, south into the mountains or west towards the Bearn.

Does anyone have a favourite hideaway they might recommend, please?
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:39 AM

Dear Shiela:

If you are landing in Toulouse, I can recommend a lovely restarant/inn just outside Cahors, about 1 hour north. CLAUDE MARCO is a delightful place located in Lamagdaleine, about 7km NE of Cahors. M. Marco is a superb chef: his restaurant has one Michelin star. He also has 4 rooms available, next to a pool. The rooms are very nice and range from about 95-150 Euros per night. I have had the pleasure of staying there twice and have never been dissapointed. The dining room is a beautiful vaulted ceiling, golden stone cave which seats a maximum of about 40 people. It is located alongside the Lot river, 5 mins or so from Cahors and about 45 mins from Figeac, should you decide to venture there..

Drop me a line if you require some more information..

Regards.
Luis
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

That's really helpful. Any more?
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:01 AM

Hi,
We've been to France 2 or 3 times but were thinking about starting our trip in Barcelona or Toulouse.
It appears to us that getting to Toulouse from the NYC area is actually easier than getting to Barcelona.
At any rate here is our question:
We have 2 weeks in mid May. Is Toulouse a good place to use as a base of operations to explore Western France/Eastern Spain including Barcelona for 2 or 3 days?
We love exploring small towns, villages, bike riding, hiking and reading books in small cafes.
Any of your thoughts are most welcome!
Thanks!
Wendy (& Pete)
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:08 AM

Der Shiela:

As I delve further into my memory and other sources of informnation, primarily from the French Office of Tourism, located a few blocks away from me in NYC, I shall be happy to pass it onto you vis a vis places to stay etc.

Wendy & Pete:

Flying into Toulouse from NYC requires changing planes at CDG.. not a big deal. Once you arrive in Toulouse, you can pretty much springboard to the Atlantic coast; 3 hrs away or to the west or the Meditereanean coast; 90 mins away to the east. Heading west wiil take you through to Gascony, the Bearn, and the Basque region. All three are delightful places which invite leisurely exploration.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:11 AM

post continued..

Heading southeast of Toulouse will take you into Cathar country (hillside fortresses used by the Cathars as defensive positions against armies sent up against them by the Catholic church) and into French Catalonia in and around Perpignan.

Drop me a line if you need some more info..

Regards..
Luis
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:54 AM

How about the Château de Mercuès?

http://www.chateaudemercues.com/
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:02 PM

I will second the Ct. Mercues. I have stayed there..it is lovely, along with being in a beautiful area.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Some places may be closed, Sheila.
Anyway, J. says hello.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, Mellen. It's closed

I've found some in books. I'll post them here in a bit and see if anyone knows them.

Any more?