Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to take the kids in Brussels? Will be there first week of April

Old Jan 24th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chocolate, chocolate and chocolate and TinTin etc. etc. Lucky us for going at Easter! Anywhere that the guide books don't mention - off the beaten track?
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Things the guidebooks mostly don't mention are things that aren't so exciting for kids: the Art Nouveau neighbourhoods that are a feature of Brussels (although you can get info about this at tourist information stands) or the little neighbourhood markets like Place Flagey on weekends - but I would think this would not be as fun for kids as going to eat a waffle. If you like markets I could give you some of the names of others (bigger ones), if you think that'd go down well. Be sure to get some fries (frites) from a fritkot (fries stand). They might like the Atomium and Mini-Europe, which are very well-documented. Metro: Heysel/Heizel. There is also the comic strip museum but it features comics that are well-known to Belgian children so you should be a little prepared for that. And there is a city walk you can do which follows cartoon murals painted on the exterior of houses - I think that would be quite fun for kids and you could see quite a bit of the city. Many people don't get beyond the centre and it's quite interesting to go beyond that.

Lavandula
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 03:13 PM

http://visitbrussels.be/bitc/BE_en/e...ls-kids-map.do

Just found this - thought it might be of interest ...

Lavandula
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info. about the city walk and the kids map. We are aiming for the main sites as we are going for 6 days (so that has to include that large lagoon/pool!!) but was wondering if any locals knew of some cool kids activities.
Thanks again.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 03:13 PM

Uh, what pool is that ...? Is that mentioned in the kids' map?

If you have 6 days you have plenty of time in Brussels to do a couple of day trips out as well - allow 2 -3 days in Brussels if you intend to see more than just the centre. Another thing I though of is Hallepoort / Porte de Hal, which is part of the mediaeval fortifications of the old city, the only bit left. It's a museum now with suits of armour and the like, and a panoramic view of the city. Metro: Porte de Hal. And there is rather a cool car museum in one of the parts of the triumphal arch in Cinquantenaire, which is a park just outside the centre. Metro: Schuman with a slight walk through the park, or Merode, which is probably a little closer.

Lavandula
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for that info. I think the kids would really like the fortifications, and me! We will be staying in Ixelles very near to the Tenbosch Park. Any nice places for lunch/dinner at reasonable prices in this area, do you know? Also what places do you recommend visiting out of Brussels?
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM

Super, I know the area a little as I used to live in Ixelles too, at Rond-Point de l'Étoile (near the Bois de la Cambre, which is a beautiful big park). Near you there is a convenient shopping centre, the Bascule area (Chaussée de Waterloo), with an Inno (department store) and a Carrefour GB (supermarket). I used to shop there sometimes.

I don't recall anywhere very special for eating at the Bascule (although there are a few little cafés and shops), but I think if you would like an interesting eating area nearby you might also continue up Chaussée de Vleurgat and turn left into Avenue Louise. If you continue in the direction of the city you will eventually reach Place Stephanie, and nearby is Rue Jourdan, which is a restaurant and pub street, with an Irish pub and a few Italian restaurants. That whole area Stephanie - Louise is a posh shopping area (Inno again). Metro: Louise. For more amusement you can either go through some of the arcades or walk up Avenue Toison d'Or (more shops, a cinema) until you reach Porte de Namur (metro), and there the Chaussée d'Ixelles starts. This is a major shopping street. There is a Leonidas selling (quite good) Belgian chocolate near the start of that street and any number of cheap fast food outlets (Quick, Panos).

You could either branch off here and explore the African district (called Matongé, on Chaussée de Wavre), or continue right up Chaussée d'Ixelles - little shops the whole way. Once you pass Place Ferdinand Cocq the shops get funky (health food shops, cafés, etc, from memory). Then you reach Place Flagey, where there is a small market on weekends and a major cultural centre (the Flagey, lots of concerts), also complete with trendy café. There is a pretty park with ponds (Les Étangs d'Ixelles) and an old 17th c? abbey (the Abbé de la Cambre). I think you can't go in but you can certainly have an explore around it. Lots of little cafés around Place Flagey. Nearby there is also a small museum (Ixelles Museum) with a major collection of Toulouse-Lautrec posters: http://brusselsmuseums.be/en/musee.p...6&recherche=OK .

Finally in your area you should definitely see Maison Horta, designed by Victor Horta. It's probably the best example of an Art Nouveau house in Brussels. It's in Rue Américaine. Large parts of St Gilles/ St-Gillis, which is between you and the Gare du Midi by tram, are also Art Nouveau and very pretty.

Excursions out of town - the usual suspects. You could see Ghent, Antwerp, Brugge or Leuven; most people on this forum would prioritise Brugge / Bruges and give it a number of days, because it's postcard-pretty. Ghent is pretty too but real people live there so it's busier! And Antwerp is fantastic, a pretty town centre, great shopping, great food.

Other small excursions around Brussels: http://www.kasteelvangaasbeek.be/index.asp?lng=en
the castle at Gaasbeek, just south of Brussels. Further afield: Dinant (spectacular scenery), Spa, the Ardennes (La Roche-en-Ardenne), Aachen in Germany. All good, all interesting.

I don't know how much time you will want to devote to any of these activities but if you have 6 days you certainly have more time to see the sights than many other people so perhaps some of these will be useful to you. Do try to use the trams, buses and metro if you are staying in Ixelles, it will be helpful and save your feet!

Lavandula
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 04:06 PM

Your kids might like to see the Royal Museum of Africa in Tervuren, easily reached by tram from the Montgomery metro station The museum will be closing for a major renovation sometime in 2012 so might not be open when you visit
http://www.africamuseum.be/home

Not sure of your kids' ages/interests, but they also might like the Museum of Musical instruments
http://www.mim.be/en

Mechelen is another interesting town to visit.

My husband and I stayed in Ixelles last fall and really enjoyed that part of the city. We didn't eat out much in the neighborhood because our friends prepared so many meals for us.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 06:57 PM

My sons enjoyed the Army & Military history museum
http://www.klm-mra.be/klm-new/engels...ks/startpagina

The Comic Strip Trail - A trail with 30 walls covered with comic strips painted as murals on the sides of buildings. You can find information in all the guide books.
Manneken-Pis http://www.brussels.be/artdet.cfm/4328 and his sister Jeanneken Pis
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 04:24 AM

Some more somewhat random thoughts:

There are boat trips on the canals in Ghent that your kids would probably like if the weather is good.

You might want to introduce the kids to Tin Tin via the current movie and/or some of the books before you go to Brussels.

There is another good (food) market near you in Place du Châtelain on Wednesday afternoons. These markets often have food to sample so that might keep the kids interested.

Re restaurants in Ixelles: There are some interesting-looking African restaurants near St. Boniface church. Our two sets of friends who live/spend time in Brussels both recommended the Brasserie Les Brassins on Rue Keyenveld for traditional Belgian dishes. We had good Italian food at L'Angolo on rue de l'Arbre Benit.

It seems from earlier posts that your kids are 8 and 6?
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your very useful suggestions. Lavandula, you asked which pool I was talking about - Oceade. Where ever you are in the world, kids (and often adults) love spending time in water. Add 'waves' and tunnels and the afternoon is sorted!
very much looking forward to our Brussels visit. We saw the TinTin film when it came out a few months ago which my son loved, so the Tin Tin trail will be a must. Visits to possibly Gwent and castles/museums outside Brussels will also be on the agena.