South of Rome

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:57 PM
Karen

South of Rome

I am planning a trip to Italy. I have visited most of the northern Italy. Now I would like to see Italy south of Rome. Starting with Pompey (sp?) and Nopoli and further south. I will have about 6 days. Any sugestions for my trip. What to see, which towns to stop in, the Amalfy cost?? Any sugestions are welcome.
Thank you all in advance.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 02:34 AM
Lucy

Karen, I've spent a few visits in Napoli and the Amalfi coast, as well as Sicily. My recommendation would be for a couple of days in Napoli, (from where you can take a short train ride to visit Pompeii - or Herculaneum (Ercolano) which is similar/less crowds) and then head to the Amalfi Coast - Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi (my favorite), Ravello, Praiano, Maiori - all wonderful. You can visit a different beach each day (pebbley except for Maiori), rent boats, go for walks through the hills, explore museums and historical sites, and of course, eat! Everytime I go I can't wait to go back.
Naples is a lively, exciting city which has the best archeological museum, but if you're there on your own you have to be very sharp, and avoid certain areas in the evening - like the train station in Piazza Garabaldi. Still well worth a visit. Or you could go straight to Sorrento/Positano etc. and take the short train ride from Sorrento to Pompeii on a day trip. Hope that helps - enjoy.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 12:13 PM
az

Rome/Amalfi Coast/South
Karen--Posted an extensive report on my recent travels in these areas in May/June of this year. Will pull it to the top for you if I can find it.
Enjoy your trip.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 12:19 PM
Katherine

Karen,

I recommend Sorrento, and more specifically the Hotel Aminta. It's perched on the hill and has the most spectacular views and great service. They have a bus that will take you the 10 minutes distance to town (or an easy walk down and grueling walk back). From there you can take day trips to Pompeii, Capri, the Amalfi Coast. The town of Sorrento is also fun to spend time in.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Karen

Az, did you have a chance to find that report? I would love to read it. My e-mail address is [email protected].

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 05:39 PM
karen

Thank you for all your sugestions.
Az still reading your reports.
We will not have a car, we plan to take a train from Rome or Napoli. Our preference would be to stay closer to the beach (fishing village?) with a possibility of taking an organized tours or public transportation to the points of interests. Our budget is no more that $100USD per night. Any sugestions for a city, B&B, or a hotel? Also what is the best base/bases for out advanture?
Thanks in advance.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Kate

Hi Lucy. I was wondering what you thought of Sicily? I've heard mixed reviews. I've traveled through Tuscany and Venice, Rome, Milan, as well as some towns like Padova and Ravenna -- and I'm not expecting to have the same kind of experiences in Sicily -- but don't want it to be "too challenging" as far as safety, transportation, etc. I'd be traveling with another woman and we're in our late 20s. Thanks!

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 10:02 AM
karen

TtT

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 12:30 PM
tonyc

Karen;
On a trip South don't skip Calabria
Beutiful beaches, interesting ancient towns,Beautiful mountains, freindly people, and best of all the gateway
(via feery) to Sicily.
Forget all of the stereotypical bad things said regarding Sicily.
It is the soul of Italy.
It is full of history,great food, and the most sincere and friendly people I have ever met anywhere in Italy.
It also has great beaches, exotic islands, and it's own active volcano.
Combine all this under blue cloudless skies and cheap accomodations, and you have found the sweetest slice of Italy.

Old Aug 14th, 2001, 08:33 AM
M Kopka

If you like the beach, the western coast between Terracina and Gaeta has some beautiful little coves with hotels - some VERY luxurious for a relatively good price. Terracina itself is not so great - more city-like, but nearby towns of Gaeta, Monte Saint Circe are pretty; but it's the little coves that were the draw for me for frolicking on the beach, if you're going when it's still warm enough to swim....