COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SOUTH of FRANCE - MEDIEVAL/HISTORIC RENTALS

Old Mar 28th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Looking into South of France, either the area of Saint Cirq Lapopie (believe it's the Lot or Quercy region) or even Aix en Provence but not married to either. My main goal is to find a 14th/15th/16th/17th century type holiday rental - be it houses, mills, castles - that is located within or in close proximity to a village that I could ideally walk to markets, cafes etc. It doesn't have to be a major tourist destination, just idyllic for a break for 7-10 days. I've visited a few sites but either the properties are so vastly huge ie 12 bedrooms / or overly modern or set on acreage that one would need a car each day to get to markets, etc. I'm not looking at renting a part of a property ie room but rather having the entire space for the duration of my stay and it having the flavour of history. If anyone has any insight / ideas would be welcome. At this point, looking for myself and not looking at really spending more than about $2000ish for a week or less' rental.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Did you try rentvillas.com or historicrentals.com (the latter requests you fill out a form and it also refers primarily to "suites" but they might have something)?

Also, do the reverse of a search on a broad web site by starting with a town or village such as Aix or St. Remy or wherever as the initial search point. Your budget should get you a nice property other than the high season of late July through August.

There are many old rental villas and farmhouses, most modernized to attract business, but still retaining original walls, beams, bread ovens, etc.

In broad terms the Lot is SW France while Aix is in Provence or South of France.
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM

St. Cirq is much smaller than Aix. Without a car, St. Cirq is in a region where you would be more "stuck". It is a beautiful village, but also quite hilly if that matters. Aix has the advantage of being easily accessible by train and has a lot more to do. If you want something smaller, 2 other great choices might be Uzes or L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. Both are very historic, and scenic and have great markets and would probably be easy to entertain yourself for 7-10 days

VRBO.com has some really nice choices in Uzes and L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue at reasonable prices. You are right that the challenge is to find a stand alone place within walking distance. But there are a couple of interesting ones there I think
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Hi Bridget; Here are a few choices, but you can find many more on this web site. www.vrbo.com/ www.vrbo.com/212457 or www.vrbo.com/160460 Enjoy iris1745/dick
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your ideas, very helpful!
Old Mar 28th, 2009, 04:04 PM

You might want to take a look at the Alistar Sawday site and check out the listings in the holiday homes book.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:04 AM

You might take a look to the french agency http://www.apartrental.com/en/south-france.html/
many availabilities.