South of France itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to the South of France for 15 days in mid October and I could use some help with the itinerary. We want to arrive Nice (train from Paris (France Saverpass)), 3 nights in Nice. Day 15 depart Avignon (train to Paris). It's the fleshing out I need help with. We at least want to see Nimes, Arles, St. Remy, Orange, Montpellier, canoe trip at Pont du Gard, canoe trip on River Sorgue. I would like to take the train between towns and maybe hire a driver for day trips? Logical or no?
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 08:24 PM

Consider renting a car - then we'll talk.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 08:10 AM
sap

>>Logical or no?<<

No.

Is there a reason you would prefer to hire a driver? Some of the best parts of "the South of France" are the small towns and villages with limited public transportation. In 15 days, you're going to want to see more than just the inside of cities.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 08:34 AM

No, not logical. First off, there aren't necessarily "trains between towns." Second, the best thing about the south of France is exploring the countryside...in a car.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 09:06 AM

If you want to stick to cities and medium sized towns, train travel is possible. Orange and Arles are less than an hour by train from Avignon. To figure out what is possible, go to sncf.com and plug in the itineraries that you are interested in.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 10:58 AM
ira

Hi h,

I think that you need to do some more research.

As laid out, you are missing a lot of what Provence has to offer.

I also urge you to consider a car.

You might find the Provence part of my trip report helpful
Ira Returns From 22 Loverly Days in Europe - Sep, 2009
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-europe.cfm

Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input.
OK......3 nights sans car in Nice. Rent car in Nice. Nice to St. Tropez (2 nights). St. Tropez to Aix (3 nights). Aix to somplace in the Luberon (3 nights). Then to St. Remy (3 nights). St. Remy-Avignon, train back to Paris. Or, should we just stay in the Luberon for 6 nights after Aix. The day trip drives from someplace like Gordes to Nimes, Parc Natural Regional de Camargue (birdwatching), Pont du Gard, Arles, etc., don't LOOK too bad.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Good plan. I'd split the time up between the Lubéron and St-Rémy.

And yes, those day trips are very easy, especially from St-Rémy..
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 03:31 PM

IMO, there is a lot more stuff to do in & around the Luberon & St Remy than in & around Aix. I think Aix is a 1/2 to 1 day visit - so I would add 1 or 2 nights to the Luberon and St Remy (we prefer the Luberon).

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 09:24 AM

I think your itinerary looks good for the 15 days you'll be there. We're doing almost the same trip but in reverse in mid-September. We arrive Avignon by train from Paris, drive east to Nice and then west back to Marseille where we fly home from. We only have a week and there is a lot that we want to see so we're going to be pushing ourselves, staying at a different B&B or hotel each night and traveling and exploring during the day. Our nights will be in Nimes, Le Baux or St. Remy, Buoux or Lourmarin, Cassis, St. Tropez area and Nice. Ambitious!
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM

bookmarking
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM

"Or, should we just stay in the Luberon for 6 nights after Aix. The day trip drives from someplace like Gordes to Nimes, Parc Natural Regional de Camargue (birdwatching), Pont du Gard, Arles, etc., don't LOOK too bad.,"

should you just stay in Luberon for 6 days and make day trips (i think you mean, vs staying part of that in St Remy?) DO move to St Remy for the last part of your trip--a day trip FROM/TO the Luberon for places like Nimes, or even Avignon, would take way too big a chunk of time, IME.
If i ever do that trip again, i will nix an entire one week base in St Remy and do YOUR orignal idea (and as recommended here by more experienced FFers)--split time between St Remy (or athat area) and a place in the Luberon.

Charrisdoc, for what it'sworth, we didnt much like Lourmarin . ALmost TOO "cleaned-up" looking.We much preferred nearby Cocuron (sp?) for a lovelier, "real-er" look I don't know Boux--maybe someone ele can chime in here...or post question separately
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 12:45 PM

>>Boux<<

Of Peter Mayle fame (spelled Buoux). Really nothing in the village exept Peter's favorite restaurant (at the time "Year in Provence" was written). The ruins of the Fort are interesting. Didn't know that there was a hotel there.

Cucuron -

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Man, you folks know your stuff. How does this sound:
3 nights sans car in Nice (Hotel Windsor). Rent car in Nice. Nice to St. Tropez (2 nights, Hotel la Mediterranee). St. Tropez, via the coast road to Aix (1 night, Hotel L'Epicerie). Aix to Gordes in the Luberon (5 nights, Hotel Le Mas Perreal). Then to St. Remy (3 nights, Hotel Le Mas des Carassins). St. Remy-Avignon, train back to Paris.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 05:22 PM

That sounds pretty good to me! On your next trip you can visit Languedoc-Roussillon.
Once you start, you never want to quit!
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 05:34 PM

Yeah, looks good now. Don't like St-Tropez much myself, but understand its appeal, so good for you!
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Your itinerary is fine.

Don't know what the "coast road to Aix" is - because the road to Aix from St Tropez is straignt inland.

Mas Perreal is not in Gordes.

We've stayed at the Windsor perhaps 30 nights over the last 30 years. Good choice.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, St. Saturnin.
The drive I was thinking about was St. Tropez through Le Lavandou, Toulon, Bandol, Aubagne and up to Aix. Too ambitious for one day ??
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 07:32 AM
ira

Hi Hog,

Have you checked the price of point-to-point tickets at www.voyages-sncf.com vs the railpass?

I think that you will also have to purchase seat reservations for the TGV if you have a railpass.

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 07:56 AM

>>The drive I was thinking about was St. Tropez through Le Lavandou, Toulon, Bandol, Aubagne and up to Aix.

Too ambitious for one day ??<<

Yep - plus a very small percent of that coastal drive is scenic. Much of it is not directly along the coast either. Get to Aix ASAP & enjoy your time there.

I always recommend that people not try to visit St Tropez from about 11am to 5 pm when all the hords of day-trippers are there. Since you will be in St Tropez for 2 nights, on your full day I would drive the small scenic part of your "coast drive" from Croix Valmer to Bormes les Mimosas, visit the interesting village of Bormes, then return via the scenic N98 through la Mole.

Stu Dudley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -