Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   South Kensington to Luton Airport; Travel time by cab and cost to Kings Cross Thameslink? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/south-kensington-to-luton-airport-travel-time-by-cab-and-cost-to-kings-cross-thameslink-609300/)

gladfon Apr 20th, 2006 02:37 PM

South Kensington to Luton Airport; Travel time by cab and cost to Kings Cross Thameslink?

Hi everyone,
We will be spending two days in London before visiting Spain next month. I've researched the different ways to get to Luton Airport, and I think using the Thameslink may be the best. About how long would it take to get to Kings Cross from South Kensington and about how much for the cab? Is this the best way? Thank you for you help. Gladys

TimS Apr 20th, 2006 03:45 PM

Thameslink Rail has changed its name to First Capital Connect. A taxi to Blackfriars might be a little faster than a taxi to Kings Cross Thameslink and you could catch a train to Luton there. Sorry, I don't know what a taxi would cost to either train station. Or if you're traveling light, take the tube from South Kensington to Blackfriars (14 minutes) on either the Circle or District line.

WillTravel Apr 20th, 2006 03:55 PM

It's easy to take the tube from Gloucester Road tube stop in South Kensington on the Piccadilly Line to Kings Cross. Then you can catch the train to Luton. When you get to the Luton train station, a free shuttle bus takes you to the airport. I've done a similar journey in reverse.

gladfon Apr 20th, 2006 04:32 PM

Thank you Tim and Willtravel for your responses. My husband and I are traveling with 1 22-inch, 1 24-inch, and 2 medium sized boarding bags. Are there many stairs to climb taking the tube from South Kensington Station to either Kings Cross or Blackfriars? We are healthy and active seniors, but it may be inconvenient to go up and down several stairs with the luggage.Thanks Gladys

TimS Apr 20th, 2006 06:32 PM

According to the Journey Planner at www.tfl.gov.uk, there are escalators at all three stations. However, the planner estimates an eight-minute walk from Kings Cross to Kings Cross Thameslink.

WillTravel Apr 20th, 2006 10:35 PM

That walk between the Kings Cross tube and Thameslink did seem interminable, but had I known it was only eight minutes that probably would have helped (although I think it was more like 12 with luggage).

PatrickLondon Apr 21st, 2006 01:39 AM

I'd take the Blackfriars route. The District and Circle platforms aren't so deep (about a couple of dozen steps at South Kensington and at Blackfriars). No hiking through long subways, as at King's Cross.

PatrickLondon Apr 21st, 2006 01:41 AM

Ah, but I see your point about the luggage. A taxi to Blackfriars would make more sense - probably nearer and much quieter than King's Cross. If I recall correctly, there's an escalator up to the Thameslink platform.

gladfon Apr 21st, 2006 03:59 PM

Thank you for all your replies. We're going with your advice and taking a cab to Blackfriars to catch the Thameslink train there. Thanks again. Gladys

gladfon Apr 21st, 2006 05:05 PM

Our flight from Luton Airport is with Easyjet at 13:15 and we want to check in two hours before flight. How much time should I allow for the trip from South Kensington to Blackfriars to Luton? I was thinking of leaving at 9:30 a.m. Is that too early. Thanks for your help. Gladys

TimS Apr 21st, 2006 05:34 PM

Blackfriars to Luton Airport Parkway will take 42 minutes. The shuttle bus from there to the airport takes 5 minutes.

Leave Blackfriars at 10:08 or 10:23 and arrive at Luton Airport Parkway at 10:50 or 11:05.

According to www.viamichelin.com, it's 6km from South Kensington to Blackfriars and the drive should take ten minutes. Heavy traffic could make it take a lot longer, of course.

gladfon Apr 21st, 2006 08:52 PM

Thanks again Tim. I guess we need to leave 9:30 or 9:45 at the latest. Gladys

TimS Apr 22nd, 2006 02:01 AM

I've been thinking about the viamichelin.com driving time estimate I gave you. I think it's too short, even without traffic issues. Since going by tube takes 14 minutes, it seems to me that it would take at least twenty minutes by taxi.

PatrickLondon Apr 22nd, 2006 01:05 PM

Easily 20+ minutes, depending on which route the taxi-driver takes, but they will know the best way to avoid jams.

gladfon Apr 22nd, 2006 07:51 PM

Hi Tim and Patrick,
Thanks for tweaking the driving time issue. It's hitting home that this trip is going to take most of the day. I've decided to eliminate one of the boarding bags to make it easier. I really appreciate your help. Gladys