Sound of Music Tours

Aug 4th, 2000, 05:42 PM
jill

Sound of Music Tours

Any specific recommendations on tour companies for SOM tour? Specific sites to see?

Aug 4th, 2000, 06:12 PM
steve

I have taken the tour twice - in '70 and '87. On the one in '87 we went out to the town where the wedding church is. I would recommend that the tour you take include that sight. Otherwise, I think they covered the same ground

Aug 5th, 2000, 06:41 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jill, A tour company called BOBS Tours
got good reviews from some of my clients
[no affiliation or relation---just a
great name]. We did the same route on our own and strongly suggest you do the
tour to see the area---stunning. Try to
spend a nite in St. Gilgen if you can.

Aug 5th, 2000, 03:52 PM
Marc

I agree, BOB'S Tours is Fun. We took their SOM tour a couple years ago and really liked it. "Albus" tours is OK,
but Bob's was in smaller groups and more
fun.
Here is their WEBSITE:
http://www.aha.at/bob/

Jul 13th, 2001, 03:15 PM
wilt

My wife and I recently did a SOM tour. The one operated by Panorama Tours is the original, and their buses were used by the movie company to get around to sets around the country. It was well worth it, and they provide many insights into the movie and locations.

Jul 13th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Thyra

My best girl pal and I took the Bob's Bavarian Sound of Music Tour while backpacking to Europe in ...gulp.. 1985! Had a blast, the hostel we stayed at was showing the movie on a continuous loop, so all the scenes were fresh in our head when we got into the little van. The guide was hysterical, and in between commentary they played the soundtrack. We really enjoyed it.

Jul 13th, 2001, 07:14 PM
bob Brown

Bob's group might be the best one, but you can rent a car and do it yourself better and more thoroughly for the price of two bus tickets.

We went with the Gray Line tour and at the end I was left angry and frustrated because we had time for nothing. It was a frustrating bus ride to St. Gilgen with a running commercial for Mrs. Braun's studel all the way out there. When we got to the town at lunch time, we had a choice: We could eat or we could see the church where the movie wedding took place. We tried to do both and did not have time; so we were late by about 5 minutes getting back to the bus, which was parked well away from the village center. The guide fussed at us for messing up the schedule.
I thought the trip a total waste of time and that the whole thing was organized to dump tourists in some of the surrounding villages. We made one stop at some village that had no connection with the Sound of Music. I am convinced now that someone paid a rebate to the tour company to order its drivers to stop there.
The fee that we paid for two of us to ride the bus would have covered a rental car for the whole day. We could have covered quite a bit of ground that day had we opted for the car!
The various sites are described in publications, so you can indeed do it yourself, and leisurely, too.