Sound of Music

Old Dec 25th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound of Music

just finished watching the fabulous movie. Since I was in Salzburg in October it had special meaning for me. And the scenery was extraordinary. A great TV event!
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 10:12 PM

I saw it also--very beautiful. I teared up as few times, expecially when they sand analvice
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 10:13 PM

Irish, I second that! One of my all time favorite movies, cannot see it enough (sorta like Its a Wonderful Life for some people). I caught it too, although having never been to Salzburg I couldn't relate to it in the same way.

Happy holidays!
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 10:13 PM
ira

Hey Irish,

Good to know that younger folks appreciate it, too.

Old Dec 25th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ira, but I am not that young!!! Was 25 when the film came out. Still traveling,tho-the best thing in life to do!
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 10:25 PM
ira

Hey Irish,

I figured there was a 50% chance I would be right. Oh, well.

Old Dec 25th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

Ira, not a problem-better to be thought of as "young" rather than "old"!
Old Dec 25th, 2004, 11:41 PM

Has anyone taken the Sound of Music bus tour in Salzburg? We were in Saltzburg a few years ago but it was raining so the travel agent suggested we skip it. I was bummed even though I heard the tour was a bit hokey with Julie Andrews giving the guided tour via tv on the bus as it traveled along the Chiemsee River and other places where the filming took place. I was hoping to take the tour next trip with my kids who used to love watching the movie...over and over again.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 01:55 AM

We just took the Sound of Music tour in Sept. It was great. All the movie locations to enjoy and a sing a long on the bus. Everyone was happy and our tour guide was great. Life is too short too be sad. It will take you back!
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 04:47 AM

ira, if it makes you feel any better, I'm 32 and it's my all time favorite movie (and please don't tell me I'm not young! ). I have the dvd and I'm trying to get my kids hooked on it, too.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 04:52 AM

I've been trying to enchant my 5- and 7-year-old n & n with it, too, but I have not had a lot of success. Seems the menu of entertainment that they live on has made them pseudo ADD. I absolutely love the puppet segment and thought they would too. Are we raising a bunch of barbarians? Oh woe. Thanks for letting me soapbox a bit. J.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 06:37 AM

have taken the SOM tour twice - first in 1970 and then in 1987. Enjoyed the second one better because it went out to see the church where the wedding took place.

Having been to Salzburg several times, I can't resist watching whenever it is on TV. Asked my wife if she wanted to go there again - foolish question. I guess i'll be going again in 2006!
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Four grandchildren (or is it great grand children?) of the Von Trapp family are performers. I saw them on CNN last week singing songs from SOM. Quite good!
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 07:26 AM

Budget Travel Magazine just had an issue dedicated to movies that make you want to travel. The Sound of Music was number one. I watched it last night, and I have to admit the setting it gorgeous.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 07:44 AM

i also watched it, most of it! I have the DVD too.
We took our children on the Tour in salzburg 2 summers ago. We talked about it through the movie! The scenery is so stunning! I highly reccomend it!
I love that movie!
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 09:05 AM
P_M

I love that movie too, and it inspired me to visit Salzburg in 1998 and take the tour. It was a lot of fun, but interesting to learn that so much of that movie is pure ficiton. If you took the tour you know what I mean. In the movie they were always looking at the mountain as if Switzerland is on the other side. As many of us know, it's Germany on the other side of that mountain and we learned on the tour that Hitler's Bavarian Headquarters were on the German side of the mountain. So it's a good thing they didn't climb that mountain in reality or they would have walked right into Hitler's property. In fact, Switzerland was not even the country to which they fled. Additionally, they were married for about 10 years when the family fled, and Maria was pregnant with her third child, which would have been her husband's 10th. But, it's just a movie and not supposed to be a historical documentary. I warmly recommend the tour to anyone who loves that movie as much as I do.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 09:30 AM

P_M,
That's really interesting. We watched that movie last night, too. My kids (in their twenties) all love it! So, Ira, the young folks do appreciate it!

The kids were surprised to hear that it was based on a real family. But we honestly didn't know how much of it was true.

It did give me the itch to see Austria-- It looked so beautiful!
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Thanks guys. Glad to hear people are still enjoying the tour. My kids loved the movie, and I had to rewind the puppet scene many times to satisfy my daughter who must've been around 7 at the time the video first came out. I always imagined that I would go back to Saltburg but this time with the kids and do the tour. Planning a family trip to Europe when the youngest one graduates as it may be the last big trip we all do together as a family.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 04:26 PM

Seeing this movie after visiting Salzburg was an amazing experience. I took the Sound of Music tour when we were there and loved it. It is somewhat hokey, but it is wonderful to see the sights and is just so much fun. I've recently gotten my 7 year old niece hooked on the movie.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 04:30 PM

LOL, Jocelyn , You Old Thing You!! giggling!
My children saw this at very young ages and still love it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -