Question about a rate quote

Old Sep 1st, 2012, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about a rate quote

I found a place that I would really like to stay at in Pienza, particularly when I saw on their website that their rate is 65 euro per night. I sent an inquiry about my dates and the proprietor email me back promptly to confirm my dates were available, but quoted me a price of 100 euro. Is it rude of me to ask her about the difference in price? I don't want to get off on the wrong foot - she seems like a very nice person and I don't want to offend. I can stay my original length of time if the price is 65 euro, but at 100 euro, I might have to cut short a day. What do you think? I have not been to Italy before, so don't know if quoted rates are open for negotiation or not. Thanks for any advice!
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 12:31 PM

Rates are usually subject to the dates you request. High season being more than low season obviously and others in between.

I see no harm in asking about it though.

Have fun!
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 01:02 PM

Does the website quote rates for specific time periods or not? Because lots of hotels now either quote rates if it varies by season, or they have booking software on their own website that will quote you the rate by the dates you put in.

If the website does neither and just says the rate is 65 euro, I don't see any reason not to ask why you were quoted 100 euro. this place sounds kind of amateurish by the way you describe it, any website can at least list the rates by date even if they aren't sophisticated and don't have booking software.

I asked a hotel in Paris about that once and they didn't take offense and they had actually made a mistake (the website gave a lower rate for August when I was reserving, and the person who quoted me the rate for a reservation forgot about that). So it was me who should have been offended, I guess. When they quoted me the rate, I just asked about the summer promotion I had read on the website for my dates.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. They do list the weekly rates by season (and my dates actually fall into the low season), but for daily rates they just list one rate. I'm wondering if it's maybe because I am traveling alone? In any case, I'll find out soon. I sent an email to them and we'll see.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 02:07 PM

It is never unreasonable to ask a question about rates.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 02:15 PM

It may be an old, not updated website.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 08:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I put a link for places on your other thread. There are lots of places in town that are pretty cheap. I've found many places in Tuscany charge more on weekends and many don't keep their websites up to date so prices listed may be old. I paid 45€ for an apartment in Pienza a few years ago (Sept.)at Il Giardino Segreto.

http://www.portalepienza.it/Siti_com...ttacamere.html

Here's a list of hotels. Several of them (most) are outside the historic center, but they are just across the street. Rutiliano is the farthest, but only a five minute walk (has parking).
http://www.portalepienza.it/Siti_com.../alberghi.html
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 08:22 AM

what do you mean, because you are traveling alone? If anything, you should get a slightly lower rate for a specific room if you are alone rather than two people. It wouldn't make any sense to quote a rate 30 pct higher to penalize someone for traveling alone, I don't even understand that. I guess if you think the rates are per person that could make sense but a website should be very clear on that point, if it is per person or for a room. If you are talking about some rate that includes meals plus room then maybe they would be quoted differently, I guess they'd have to be. But that is a huge difference, I would ask. It is true sometimes websites are out of date but if rates are quoted for a season with current dates, that excuse is out.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 11:56 AM

I have noticed that some websites are per person.. and not realized it at the beginning when I was attracted to the very reasonable rate.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Oops - my mistake. I guess I was so excited about the whole thing that I neglected to read the "per person" clearly listed on the web-site. And they did actually lower the rate for me as I am traveling single.

kybourbon - thank you so much for the incredibly helpful links!
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:18 PM

rosecity15.. very easy mistake to make!