Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sorry...Train Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sorry-train-question-613330/)

Maire May 5th, 2006 05:47 PM

Sorry...Train Question

I know there are a zillion places to learn about the trains, but could you answer this, please, if there’s an easy answer?

On the Trenitalia site, when a train is going from Point A to Point C, and there is a “Change Station” at point B, it shows the arrival time at Station B. How do you know how much time you have to change and/or wait? Thanks.

Musicteacher May 5th, 2006 06:46 PM

In the Info column to the left of the connection you want, click on the number (1, 2, 3, 4) and you will get a detail screen with the intermediate departure time.

Maire May 5th, 2006 06:51 PM

Thank you Music. Yikes, I just looked, and I have 5 minutes to change trains. Is that even possible?

Maire May 5th, 2006 06:58 PM

Or, do we just stay on the train, I wonder. . .I hope so.

kybourbon May 5th, 2006 07:32 PM

When you enter your destinations you will get a list of train options, usually about 4 on one screen. They will be numbered 1-4 on the left side. Click on the number you want and when the next screen appears you will have actual train numbers. If there are 2 then you will have to change trains. If you click on the train number, you will get a list of all the stops. That is helpful because you will be able to tell when your stop is coming up.

GeoffHamer May 6th, 2006 12:26 AM

If you are worried about not having enough time to change trains, then look to see if you can have more time to change. If you're going from A to C and have to change at B to a train leaving at, say, 1200, then do a separate search for trains from A to B arriving before 1200: you may find that you can start a little earlier, have a more relaxing journey, and perhaps have time for a coffee when you change trains.

ira May 6th, 2006 03:00 AM

Hi M,

>I have 5 minutes to change trains. Is that even possible?<

What is your route?

((I))

suze May 6th, 2006 07:53 AM

I'm no expert, but will chime in in a general way about trains.

Sometimes a few minutes is sufficient for changing trains. Be standing at the door w/ your suitcase as the train stops, get off quick, maybe you'll change platforms, then on to another train. Depends on the size of train station too, little towns are easier than cities.

All that said, my experience is mostly Swiss only a little Italian, which may be very different!

Maire May 6th, 2006 09:26 AM

Thanks, everyone. The train in question is from Rome to Perugia. God and AA willing, we will arrive in Rome at 8:00 am and want to get on the earliest possible train or bus to Perugia.

One train leaves Rome at 9:36 and has a 7 min. change in Foligno.

The next train leaves Rome at 11:14 and has a 7 min. change in Terontola/Cortona.

There is a train that leaves at 12:14 that is non-stop, but I want to leave Rome as early as possible; I know we'll be exhausted and just want to get settled.

If we have a choice between Eurostar or R (which I guess means Regional?), does it matter?

ira May 6th, 2006 10:46 AM

Hi M,

ES* trains are more likely to be on time, are newer and are more comfortable, eg, the AC works most of the time.

You will more than likely make the 11:14. You should have no trouble making the connection in Terentola. Have your backs ready to go when the train stops.

At worst, you will have to walk down a flight and up a flight to cross the tracks.

((I))

Maire May 6th, 2006 10:57 AM

Thanks, Ira. I think my biggest concern is getting off one train and not being able to figure out where the other one is, but luckily daughter is better at navigation than I am. :)

Does make me think, though, it might be a good idea to know ahead of time if/when another train leaves in case we do miss connection.

Maire May 6th, 2006 11:00 AM

Also, do you have to revalidate your ticket before getting on a connection?

GeoffHamer May 6th, 2006 01:11 PM

If your journey is covered by one ticket, you only have to stamp it at the start of the journey; you don't stamp it when you change trains.

Maire May 6th, 2006 01:12 PM

Thank you, Geoffl.

Musicteacher May 6th, 2006 01:47 PM

If you miss the 13:31 train out of Terontola-Cortona, there is another one at 13:44.

Maire May 6th, 2006 04:41 PM

Thanks, Music. That's a relief.