Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sorry, guys. But one more time on the Irish car rental issue! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sorry-guys-but-one-more-time-on-the-irish-car-rental-issue-601795/)

CAPH52 Mar 23rd, 2006 12:31 PM

Sorry, guys. But one more time on the Irish car rental issue!

As pretty much anyone who would open this probably already knows, I've been struggling with the car rental issue. I finally went with Dan Dooley yesterday.

I got a return e-mail saying they'd send me a confirmation within 24 hours. Well, when it got to be 24 hours and 15 minutes, I contacted them. I got a reply saying the confirmation had been sent yesterday. No confirmation in my mail box or my spam folder. They said they'd send it again.

Well, I've gotten 3 or 4 e-mails from them that were all replies to ones I sent. But no confirmation. I'm guessing that in order to send the confirmation, rather than just clicking on "reply", someone has to actually type in an e-mail address. The only thing that makes sense to me is that there's a mistake in that address.

But, the bottom line is, we fly out Saturday afternoon and I still have no copy of the confirmation. I suspect that they're probably closed for the day by now.

Should I be concerned? Or should I just make a copy of the e-mails I do have? I realize that there's a chance I'll get this resolved tomorrow morning. But my experience today doesn't make me optimistic!

Itallian_chaffur, you and others have told me that car rental is the worst part of the trip. But this is getting ridiculous!

By the way, Bob, right now I can't get on the other board!

Herschey Mar 23rd, 2006 01:41 PM

I just got back from Ireland where we rented though I'm not familiar with your precise issue which sounded like it was described in another thread.

First off, be sure to check your bulk mail or any other place catching your spam mail. I thought I hadn't received confirmation from a hotel and then realized it got dumped in my bulk mail folder.

I rented through auto europe at cork airport which I arranged in advance. I had 15% off the rates for cvarious reasons which came out to 150$US for 3 days including mileage and the full on insurance (except for personal injury). They tacked on 50euros for gas, meaning I had to return it empty to make it worthwhile, plus 8euro per day for an extra drive.

Not sure if that helps at all but in case you consider switching rental companie thought I'd mention the experience with mine. Btw, this was for an automatic compact car.

CAPH52 Mar 23rd, 2006 01:56 PM

Herschey, I'm hoping I won't have to switch. But I definitely appreciate your info, just in case!

I've checked my spam folder. As I said, I'm getting e-mails from them when they're replies to one I've written (when the sender can just click on "reply"). That leads me to believe that, for some reason, the confirmations are being sent to the wrong address. Hey, who knows, I could've typed my e-mail address incorrectly on the form. I checked the auto response I got from them yesterday (the one telling me I'd get a confirmation from them within 24 hours). But my e-mail address is not among the info listed.

I just tried to call their toll free number in New Jersey. But I guess I waited too late. I'm getting their machine. If I don't get another e-mail in the morning, I'll try that number again.

The fact that I was told that they did send me a confirmation leads me to believe that we have a car. And that it's probably already been charged to our CC. A fact I can't check as the card is in my husband's name and they won't talk to me!

But I would certainly feel better if I had that confirmation! Or at least a confirmation number.

maitaitom Mar 23rd, 2006 02:09 PM

CAPH,

If you go with another company, you can always sing, "Hang down your head Dan Dooley"
((H))

enzian Mar 23rd, 2006 02:12 PM

CAPH, can you call the office in Ireland in the morning? It seems like it would give you a lot of peace of mind to have a firm confirmation, and there seems to be a problem with the e-mail transmissions.

Itallian_Chauffer Mar 23rd, 2006 03:08 PM

I have heard wonderful things about Dan Dooley for years, but I have never actually rented from them (for a variety of reasons -- but mostly, due to price). I have pretty much decided, though, that I will not even bother to check their prices, from here on out.
I find their whole 'scare tactic' approach to insurance to be reprehensible. It would be a different story if the merely refused to accept the MC waiver, but to CLAIM to, while bullying and terrifying their customers into not using MC, strikes me as Bait and Switch Con Artist maneuvers.

In your case, go ahead and take what you have. If, in the unlikely event that when you get to Shannon they are unwilling, or unable, to honor your reservation, just 'walk the line' of rental agents and shop their best price. By the time you arrive Sunday, the bulk of the ST. Patrick's day travelers will probably have departed and they will likely have a surplus of vehicles available. That happened to us in Feb of 2002, and we actually ended up with a much nicer vehicle for almost three hundred dollars LESS.
I wouldn't advise this approach during the High Season, but you should be fine the end of March.

In either case, be sure to visually inspect whatever vehicle you do end up with -- particularly the tires and glass -- and have the company annotate any damage on your contract.
The good news is that everything else about your trip should feel REALLY EASY after all this.

Bob

oopsy Mar 23rd, 2006 03:16 PM

Poor Caph...this car rental has been such a headache for you! Can you call the NJ office in the morning and ask them to fax you a confirmation?

CAPH52 Mar 23rd, 2006 03:41 PM

Thanks, enzian and oopsy. Probably will have to make some calls in the morning.

Bob, your advice about walking the line makes me feel better. You'd mentioned your February experience on another of my threads. But I was afraid that, because we want an automatic, it might still be taking a chance. However, if we can't get this confirmation thing straightened out, we might not have a choice! So, as I said, I feel better knowing that you don't think we'd have a problem finding something.

And I do definitely understand why you feel as you do about Dan Dooley. Right now I'm not feeling really great about them either! But, as you said, so many people seem to have been so happy with them. So it'll be interesting to see how we feel after next week!

Jayneann Mar 23rd, 2006 04:13 PM

Hi Caph52,
I booked a rental with Dan Dooley a couple of weeks ago. I sent them my information and they emailed me back with a confirmation in less than 24 hrs AND a notice that they had charged my credit card the full amount of $900+ for a Toyota Avensis in July!!! Guess I didn't read the fine print! Anyway, on my quote form, there was a place I wrote in my email address, right after my name and before the currency line. The telephone number listed on my reservation is +353 (0) 62 53103. Might be worth calling for piece of mind! Good luck and have a great time in Ireland!!!

CAPH52 Mar 23rd, 2006 04:28 PM

Thanks, Jayneanne! I know my brother said they charged his card right away too. But, gosh, you're not going until July?!

KTLou82 Mar 24th, 2006 12:05 AM

CAPH52 - I also just booked a rental with Dan Dooley. I booked it yesterday and got a confirmation email very quickly after I got off the phone with them. I would definitely give them a call. I think I would definitely want to bring some sort of confirmation with me upon arriving in Ireland. I hope you are able to get this worked out!

JOHNOD Mar 24th, 2006 04:13 AM

Dan Dooley has an toll free number (800-331-9301) They have an office in New Jersey.

eyps Mar 24th, 2006 05:01 AM

Caph -

I second John's suggestion about calling the NJ office. Ask to speak to Attracta and explain your situation to her, my husband will only deal with her, she maybe able to help you.

- eyps

CAPH52 Mar 24th, 2006 07:50 AM

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate all the advice.

Just wanted to let you know that I finally got the confirmation. She cut and pasted it into a reply. The e-mail address I put in was correct. So I don't know what caused the problem. But, at this point, who cares?! I've got the information, that's all that matters!

KTLou82 Mar 24th, 2006 09:29 AM

Glad to hear it, CAPH. Have a wonderful trip!

CAPH52 Mar 24th, 2006 07:59 PM

Thanks, KTLou82!

LoveItaly Mar 24th, 2006 08:19 PM

Oh CAPH, everything is now in place for you and your family's trip to Ireland!! Wonderful dear one. Wishing all of you very special days and memories ((r))