Notices

Sorry! Another Venice Hotel Location

Old Aug 21st, 2014, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry! Another Venice Hotel Location

I'm debating budget hotels for our first 4 night visit to Venice at the beginning of December. I'm considering Ca' Arco Antico (San Polo, Calle del Forno--vaporetti stop San Silvestre) or Locanda ai Santi Apostoli (Cannaregio, off Strada Nuova--vaporetti stop Ca D'Oro).

Is there a significant difference in these two locations?--walkability, surrounding restaurant options etc. Both are well reviewed on TripAdvisor but I'm kind of losing my mind trying to decide.

We're good walkers and light packers and will be arriving and leaving by train. We're mainly interested in art and will be primarily visiting museums (Accademia, Ca Rezzonico) and churches.
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 09:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no significant difference in terms of location as a visitor to the very small city but in early December (and all of December) the risks of acqua alta (tidal flooding) can have an impact on your coming and going in some areas of the city, especially if you are traveling during certain lunar phases.

This thread contains a link to a map that shows areas of Venice with respect to their vulnerability to tidal flooding.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-3-nights.cfm
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's another active thread about where to stay in Venice in December: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-3-nights.cfm. In that thread we're discussing where best to stay to lessen the effects of acqua alta -- flooding of the lower-lying parts of Venice during high tides. December is one of the worst months for this and Cannaregio is one of the worst affected areas.

Here's a link I posted of flood-prone areas of Venice: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20...nice-animation.

There's some scary stuff cited in the other thread. But best to be forewarned about what could happen. And be sure to check the tide predictions for the time of your stay.
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sandralist--Thanks--I found the map a bit hard to read but it looks to me like the San Polo location would be a bit less vulnerable to acqua alta?
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 09:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, San Polo looks better.
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks--I read that thread and it's helpful because I've also been tempted by Dorsoduro because of it's proximity to museums--but it sounds as if it's not the best bet for December. I should probably stick with San Polo.