Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sorrento webcam and Holy Friday Procession (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sorrento-webcam-and-holy-friday-procession-515580/)

francesco_m Mar 24th, 2005 05:11 PM

Sorrento webcam and Holy Friday Procession

I should have posted it a little earlier, but if you are online, are webcam addicted, and are curious to see what is going on in Sorrento at 3.00 a.m., this is the right time to get connected to Sorrento...loads of people on the streets...

francesco_m Mar 24th, 2005 05:12 PM

Well, I gave for granted that you knew the address, but anyway, here it is:
http://www.sorrentoinfo.com/webcam2.asp

LoveItaly Mar 24th, 2005 05:25 PM

francesco, I have the website for the Sorrento webcam but my computer crashed and know I do not have the password to be able to see the webcame. Can you give this to me. Grazie e Buon Pascqual.

francesco_m Mar 24th, 2005 05:26 PM

username: guest
password: access

francesco_m Mar 24th, 2005 05:27 PM

The procession is going by right now!!!
They do look like KKK, I know, but it's a completely different thing!

Grasshopper Mar 24th, 2005 05:34 PM

That's a lot of people out at 3:30 am! You're right. They do look like the KKK.

LoveItaly Mar 24th, 2005 05:37 PM

Caro francesco, mille grazie!!!!

francesco_m Mar 24th, 2005 05:39 PM

The white procession symbolize the Holy Mary looking for his Son...tomorrow night there will be a Black Procession, with the black colour (rather than white) symbolizing the mourning after Christ's death

francesco_m Mar 24th, 2005 05:43 PM

I love the atmosphere you feel during this procession with thousands of people in the old streets of town in the middle of the night. Too bad you don't have the audio...you could ear the silence of everybody, and the chorus (that walks ath the end of the procession) getting closer speaking loudly the "MISERERE" in latin...

Grasshopper Mar 24th, 2005 05:44 PM

Thanks Francesco! That was very interesting.

LAwoman Mar 24th, 2005 05:44 PM

Why do they have the procession in the middle of the night - is there some significance to the time?

LoveItaly Mar 24th, 2005 05:45 PM

Francesco, that was beautiful! Thank you for taking the time to advise us this. And thank you for the information. Take good care.

Grasshopper Mar 24th, 2005 05:49 PM

They're coming back again! This time facing the camera.

francesco_m Mar 24th, 2005 05:56 PM

You're wellcome Loveitaly...I'm sorry I didn't think of this before!
The time should be the time Mary was out in the streets looking for her Son captured and sentenced to death.
Tomorrow at 8.00 p.m. italian time, the Black procession.

LoveItaly Mar 24th, 2005 06:08 PM

Francesco, the idea that you took the time to post the information is wonderful. And I will look at the webcame on Good Friday. That will be 11:00am my time on the westcoast of the US.

I love your Sorrento, and also MassaLubrense. Maybe the next time I am in Italy we can meet and we can arrange for you to show me some of the favorite spots that you like.

francesco_m Mar 24th, 2005 06:22 PM

Loveitaly, I'm glad you appreciated my info. Take a look at this:
http://www.processioni.com/collezione_foto.htm
it's about the procession. On the same site you can also get the exact itinerary.
I said 8.00 p.m., but officially the procession starts at 7.30 p.m.

About your next vacation in this area, well you have my email, and if you want to write to me, I'll give you my website address too.

LoveItaly Mar 24th, 2005 06:37 PM

Francesco, the photos on the website were wonderful also.

I will write to you. Again thank you for sharing the Sorrento Easter tradition with all of us. I too wish we could have had the audio. But the photos are beautiful. Take good care.

SeaUrchin Mar 24th, 2005 09:26 PM

Oh I agree, loveitaly, it must have been a beautiful sight. I am sorry I missed it.

Francesco, I was in Sorrento this last Saturday and the webcam wasn't there, I am so glad it was put right back. Maybe it was getting cleaned for Easter.

Thanks for posting the website too. Happy Easter.

francesco_m Mar 25th, 2005 01:09 AM

I'll top this thread so that people will be ready to see the Black Procession tonight(italian time).

SeaUrchin, you were in Sorrento and didn't let anyone know? ...or did I miss something? You were lucky since weather has only recently got warmer!
People start behaving like lizards in the sun!!!
(P.S.: Grasshopper,...I know I'm late, but I was half asleep last night, and I didn't see your "thank you" ...so: you're welcome! ;-) )

Marianna Mar 25th, 2005 01:26 AM

Francesco, how thoughtful of you to let us know about this! I'm disappointed that I missed the procession last night , but I will try to watch today in between baking for Easter dinner. You remind me of another person, Vincenzo, who used to share so much information here about Italy, especially the Sorrento area.

I will wish for all what my cousin in Italy wished for me: Buona Pasqua a tutti!