Sorrento vs Amalfi vs Positano

Oct 7th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Sally

Sorrento vs Amalfi vs Positano

We are planning a trip to the Amalfi coast. We will have a car and trying to decide which place is better with a car.
Should we drive or park our car somwhere and bus/train it to one of these places. Is driving there easy enough?I would imagine parking fees in Amalfi would be astronomical. Any suggestions regarding where to stay, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 7th, 2002, 03:31 PM
Wendy

Sally,

IT depends what time of year you are going. In the summer, it is extremely difficult to park in any of the Amalfi Coast towns. Of course, if you are staying at a hotel on the coast, some have garages and you can leave the car there, then hop on a SITA bus from town to town (or take a boat for example from Positano to Amalfi and back). As far as where to stay, I would highly recommend Positano ( on the coast) or Ravello ( inland, but absolutely breathtaking scenery). Have a wonderful time!

Oct 7th, 2002, 03:52 PM
sara

We just returned from Amalfi a month or so ago. Our hotel was in Positano at the hotel Villa Franca, but we did travel to Amalfi and Ravello. Amalfi is beautiful but extremely touristy. Ravello is an added bonus...less people, and one of the most incredible panoramic views in the world at the Villa Cimbrone. It's a definate must see in the Amalfi. We just happened upon it while walking the city. Parking seemed overwhelming when we first got to the city, but our hotel valet parked our car and I think we paid $18.00/per day which we didn't think was bad. It's not a hassel at all if you're willing to pay. I'd definately drive there yourself rather than bus it because the view along the Amalfi drive is breathtaking, at least for the passenger. Have a great time. I've been having withdrawals since I left!!

Oct 7th, 2002, 05:58 PM
richard j vicek

Just a thought to consider and that is
to stay in a hotel inSorrento, which
gives you accessability of Pompeii,
Naples by rail. Capri by boat and
the Amalfi and etc., either by bus or
hired taxi, this will allow the driver
to really enjoy the many twists turns
and etc. or the Amalfi Drive.
Also at night you will have if staying
in Sorrento the bay of Naples, Vesuvius
and the lights of Naples. In the Amalfi all you have is the sea..
Just an opinion. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Oct 8th, 2002, 06:42 AM
topper

Topping

Oct 8th, 2002, 02:20 PM
az

Sally--WHEN are you planning to visit the A. Coast? Answers to some of your questions will vary depending on the dates of your visit. For much more info, do text search on: "Rome/Amalfi Coast/South driving, hotels, sites" and on "Rules for Driving the Amalfi Coast". Parking in Amalfi in public lots is not very expensive, but can be difficult if you are going during high tourist season.

Oct 8th, 2002, 03:30 PM
donna

Sally, we're leaving Friday for the Amalfi Coast, will be gone a couple of weeks. When I return, will do a post and answer alot of questions and concerns. When planning our tripI had the same issues where to stay, to rent a car or not, and parking in Positano. Someone referred me to a small B&B in Positano and I'm hoping I'll have a great B&B to recommend.

Oct 8th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Sally

to az
We will be in the area in mid July.

Oct 8th, 2002, 07:21 PM
az

sally--driving/parking will be a hassle in july. richard has pretty much analyzed the heart of the issue: do you want more "action", or are you seeking peace and quiet? for the former, sorrento is the way to go. or, on the A. Coast, positano. amalfi, ravello, praiano, and hotels in between, in that order, offer less to do--especially at nite--but more quiet/privacy. positano is the most touristy of the places i mentioned on the Coast, but ravello offers more spectacular panoramas--arguably the best on the Coast. we chose hotel tritone, near praiano, which offered total privacy, drop-dead scenery from EVERY room (many hotels on the Coast offer this from SOME
of their rooms), and parking with immediate access to the Coast road. can provide more info on the hotel, etc. if the text search did not work for you.
regardless of what you decide, you will have an unforgettable experience--enjoy.

Oct 8th, 2002, 10:54 PM
Peter

My suggestion is for Sant'Agata Sui Due Golfi. The best solution to visit Sorrento, Amalfi and Positano having no problems and enjoying relax and breathless views.

Oct 9th, 2002, 02:15 AM
Tim

I have one strong suggestion:

Don't drive over there -- you'll just get stressed, and miss everything.

Take the SITA BUSES. They're cheap, comfy, hourly and EXPERTLY DRIVEN. They stop everywhere. Buy the tickets at the nearest cafe or newsstand.

If you're staying in Amalfi or Ravello, take them up from Salerno (the Salerno train station is two blocks from the beach).