Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sorrento to Vesuvius, Naples and Pompeii with lots of kids!

Jun 24th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm looking to organise a school visit to study volcanics at Vesuvius and Pompeii as well as pollution levels in Naples. I'm looking to take approx. 20 17-18 year old 6th form students in October.
It would seem that rather than going through a travel company, it would be considerably cheaper to organise this myself. I plan doing a reccy trip over the summer.
Does anyone happen to know how easy it is to travel from Sorrento (where our base will likely be) to the destinations listed in the topic title? Is it possible via public transport which I'd prefer to keep the cost to the pupils down or will we have to hire a coach?
Also, is Sorrento the best place to stay?

Any help would be very kindly appreciated.
Jun 24th, 2009, 04:38 AM

You can take the Circumsuviana train from Sorrento to the Ercolano Scavi Stop. At that station, there are shuttle buses to the Parking Terrace on Vesuvius. I think they run approximately every hours- with an emphasis on approximately.
So, the costs you will have to consider:
RT Circumsuviano train tickets,
RT Shuttle Busfare to Vesuvius from the Herculaneum Station (Ercolano) and of course the Tickets to the Crater Trail

GIve it the better part of a day. Also, The Scavi at Herculaneum are a 10-15 minute walk down the hill from the Train Station if you want to incude those, time permitting.

I don't know the current fares and fees, but I am sure any current guidebook will list these and you can find some good information about group excursion prices to compare your plan at one of the local Tourism offices or travel agencies (you can arrange the trip even while in Sorrento: here's a link to that list- you are likely to find agents who are English speaking answering your calls:

http://tinyurl.com/kjrr8y

Last suggestion- be very sure all your young people (17-18 yr olds will no longer be considered kids in Sorrento!) bring enough water and jackets against the wind.

Good luck in your research.
Jun 24th, 2009, 04:40 AM

Sorry- meant to say the shuttle buses run approximately every hour- but pre-check the schedule .
Jun 24th, 2009, 04:46 AM

To get to Pompeii from Sorrento is very easy the local train Circuvesuviana runs from early morning till late at night takes 30 minutes and stops a couple of hundred yards from the site entrance,Vesuvius will require a private coach though there are local mini buses that do the trip from Pompeii to Vesuvius and also from Ercolano Scavi (Herculeneum)to Vesuvius.
Don't know were you are from but EU Students and Teachers will get free entry to the sites in the area,don't know if this applies to non EU students and teachers.
http://www.pompeiisites.org/index.js...idLinguaSito=2
http://www.sorrentotourism.com/eng/index.html
these sites should give you lots of info.
Jun 24th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help bellastar. I think my next step is to buy a guide. The students I will be taking are all responsible and are really keen to study the region. I think the tectonics side of the trip is relatively straight forward to organise. The trip to Naples is concerning me more as people are advising me certain areas can be 'less than desirable'. Invariably, it is likely these are the places we will be more interested in studying pollution levels.

Any comments regarding the suitablity of young people wondering around with their teachers around Naples?
Jun 24th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Well, I might be the last one to ask about that one, LOL, because I have wandered all around Naples by myself and never had a problem (perhaps because I'm from New York CIty and fairly Street smart though)

I think that if your serious interest is in studying pollution levels, you should contact the local commune and see of an informational route can be established beforehand, supervised by a local group who knows the area.

I was last in Naples in late October of last year and was happily surprised to see the streets around the harbor relatively litter free and clear of the "piles" of garbage we have read about in recent times. The areas where illegal dumping of toxic waste from other areas of Italy has created such terrible condition for local people are probably not suit to a group of curious young people, unless local supervised- and even then- I would doubt it-but I don't know of any way to find out. You would be dealing with a hot button issue in a place where (if you don't have the language) you may not know what you are getting into).

My only other comment is that it may be interesting to study or find a way to study effects of pollution on the Amalfi Coast and/or the Sorrentine Penninsula. where there are many active efforts to keep the environment clean. It's a fragile environment, and I have always noticed how the hard work and local effort on that front seems to go blissfully unnoticed by many Tourists.

Also, as I have done on these boards in the past, I recommend the book "Gomorrah" by Roberto Saviano to read because although it's a few years old now it does contain alot of good information for non academics about the area and the pollution problems.

IF your concerns are deeper ones, (not tourist focused)- you might try contacting someone at the University of Naples for suggestions about appropriate tours for a group of young people.

Alternatively, for example (since I am sure you will do your own research)- here is a link to an article written back in 2008 about pollution in Naples. You might try contacting the journalist or the Agency mentioned: "Agenzia Regionale Protezione Ambientale Campania" for some possibilities.

http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?s...&article=54998

Sorry I can't be of more help- but I'm not a professional.

Naples is a vibrant bustling city with alot of opportunities for distraction, so I suggest having a careful plan for your group before going in. I don't have a fear of the city- but rather a respect for it.
Jun 24th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks unclegus and bellastar. We're a group from the UK so free entry to any sites would be fantastic.
You've both given me loads to work with here. I'll get busy contacting some of the agencies involved and let you know how I get on.
A visit to the University of Naples is a potentially great idea. Thankfully some of the kids speak Advanced level Italian as mine is almost non-existent!