Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sorrento to Rome- travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sorrento-to-rome-travel-977425/)

Bhavana May 10th, 2013 09:15 AM

Sorrento to Rome- travel

Hi, I have to travel from Sorrento to Rome on 7th June (Friday).

RS recommends to take the bus. I know there are following 2 buses:

1. marrozi- this is in italian and i am unable to understand
2. Curreri- this says that currently the bus service is not there.

Does anyone have any idea on whether these are operating?
The buses drop us at Tiburtina stop. How much would taxi cost us to termini as our hotel is near termini and we will have luggage.

Also alternatively if we travel by train do we have to book prior for the Naple -Rome leg?

Which out of the two ways are better.

Thanks

PalenQ May 10th, 2013 09:22 AM

No you do not have to pre-book that train because there are zillions of trains and IME you can always get tickets once in Italy but if you pre-book you can nab nifty discounts on www.trenitalia.com - official site of Italian Railways but note those must be booked weeks or months in advance to guarantee discounted tickets as they are sold in limited numbers and sell out.

But full fare just show up IME - From Sorrento you take the CircumVesuviana commuter train to Naples Centrale for trains to Rome.

If you bus to Tiburtina station you could easily take shuttle trains to Termini for a few euros if your luggage is manageable - the stations are only a few miles apart.

For loads of great info on Italian trains check out these superb sites - sites - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id12.htmlIMO.

kybourbon May 10th, 2013 09:26 AM

>>>The buses drop us at Tiburtina stop. How much would taxi cost us to termini as our hotel is near termini and we will have luggage.<<<

Both Tiburtina and Termini are on the metro and a few stops apart.

>>>our hotel is near termini <<<

Could mean anything. Many hotels claim to be near something and end up really being a distance a way. Post a link to your hotel.

Tiburtina is also a major bus hub so there is likely a bus from there to your hotel.

>>>RS recommends to take the bus. I know there are following 2 buses:<<<<

I would be RS has never taken a bus. There is only one bus. The Curreri no longer runs the route. You might prefer taking the train as the Marozzi bus departs at 6am or there is a late bus (in summer) at 5pm. Trains are much more frequent. Local train to Naples (4€ - 75 minutes) and fast train to Rome (70 minutes - 9€-43€ depending on advance purchase discounts or regular price).

MmePerdu May 10th, 2013 09:28 AM

I don't know about the bus, have only gone by train. Unless you must be in Rome at a particular time, prefer one train over another or wish to save money I have no doubt you can arrive at Napoli Centrale by Circumvesuviana and buy a ticket on the spot. I, on the other hand, would be inclined to book ahead online for a fast train at a discounted advance purchase price. And arrive at Termini where you want to be. I'd always opt for the train over a bus, all variables considered. I just like trains.

PalenQ May 10th, 2013 11:06 AM

The fast trains on that route are some of the very spiffiest in Europe - very comfy as opposed to a bus where you cannot walk around and are cramped into a small space with so many others.

stevewith May 10th, 2013 12:45 PM

June 6 is a holiday in Italy, so if June 7 is a Friday, many Italians will hope to turn it into a long weekend. If it is possible to reserve tickets I ahead, that would be wise.

I carry no torch for Rick Steves, but he is actually a bus fan, in real life. He enjoys them. What he doesn't like is Naples, so I am not surprised he recommends taking a bus from Sorrento to Rome.

stevewith May 10th, 2013 01:01 PM

Also, i don't know what is meant by the remark that if you mention your hotel is near Termini "that could mean anything." When I say I have booked a hotel near Termini, it means the hotel is near Termini.

You can use google to calculate the kms between the 2 points and use a Roman taxi fare calculator to get a rough idea of the charge. It also matters how much luggage you are carrying, since you are likely to be charged for that, and how much traffic you encounter in Rome that day (part of the cost of Roman taxi ride is based on how fast the taxi is traveling).

But my guess is that your fare will land between 10e and 15e, depending on how much luggage you are carrying.

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/rome

nytraveler May 10th, 2013 04:51 PM

No actually a lot of hotels claim to be "near" something when they are a mile or more away. Poetic license (or just lying). It ALSWAYS pays to check out the specific address on a map.

Although not sure why a hotel would do this with Termini since the area is not the most pleasant in some places.

Bhavana May 10th, 2013 11:10 PM

Hi...thank u for the responses. Here is the hotellink. It appears to be close by and lot of reviews have also mentioned the same:

http://www.hotelmarcantoniorome.com/location.php

Is this area pleasant and safe to stay in?

MmePerdu May 11th, 2013 08:13 AM

There's nothing wrong with the neighbornhood except that Via Cavour is a big busy street. I recently stayed a bit beyond that hotel (a bit farther from Termini) but on a small side street, walked around after dark with a friend and would consider it a safe location. I prefer a more intimate setting which you could get nearby if you preferred while still being close to Termini.

I found being walking distance to the station very convenient especially for a relatively short stay, to and from the airport and to take day trips by train.

kybourbon May 12th, 2013 05:49 AM

Yes, Via Cavour is very busy (lots of traffic) and there are some seedier areas around the station. Not pleasant like staying in areas that are pedestrian only or where traffic is much more restrictive. While Via Cavour ends at the Forum, it would be a long trek from your hotel and the return would be all uphill. Have you already booked? If you haven't, state your price range and people can suggest places more in the center where you can easily walk to sites.

Bhavana May 12th, 2013 10:02 AM

I can cancel the booking without charges. Budget would be 100 to 150 euros per night for 2 pple. Would really appreciate suggestions for hotels please. Thanks

kybourbon May 12th, 2013 03:40 PM

How many nights and what are you planning to visit?

MmePerdu May 12th, 2013 05:10 PM

Also, was there a particular reason you originally booked near Termini?

Ddkiki May 12th, 2013 10:05 PM

Hihi
I am following this trails.. I need suggestion on accommodations too.. Same here. 2 person travelling and budget from 110 to 150 euros. However, I am arriving on 30May and needs 3 nights only and I am going also going to Naples/Sorrento after that. :)

Bhavana May 13th, 2013 12:33 AM

we are there for 2 nights: will be visiting the following:
Borghese Gallery (reservation done)
Colosseum
Roman forum overlook
Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel
St. Peter’s Basilica and Square
Trevi Fountain
Pantheon
Spanish Steps
Piazza Venezia & Mussolini’s balcony
Vittorio Emanuele monument

Reason why booked: Figured close to Termini hence easy to commute due to various travel options available as have read some threads about taxis not available easily. And We will just be going to the hotel for sleeping as we have very limited time.

Hey Ddkiki...If you are visitng Capri from Sorrento, we have booked a private 2 hour boat ride round the island...and am looking for another couple to share it with (to divide the cost). It will be either on 5th or 6th June. Let me know if interested and we can connect via email.

PalenQ May 13th, 2013 10:57 AM

Don't miss the Piazza Novana (sp?)_ to me Rome's most surrealistically gorgeous square with Bernini's famous fountain now rehabbed!

Ddkiki May 14th, 2013 04:23 AM

Hi Bhavana

I'll missed you. Will be in Naples/Sorrento on 3rd and 4th. :(

Bhavana May 14th, 2013 05:23 AM

Awww...never mind...it would have been fun to share some time with a fodorite. Hope you have a great trip! :)