Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sorrento to Rome by Train (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sorrento-to-rome-by-train-14598/)

Byron Young May 26th, 1997 08:09 AM

Sorrento to Rome by Train

Has anyone taken a train from Sorrento to Rome ? Is this feasible - I know Sorrento has a train station ! How long does it take and how much does it cost ?

Gabi Richard May 27th, 1997 08:57 AM

I have been to Sorrento by train - i think i went to Naples then took a "local" train to Sorrento. Can't remember times and prices, I'm afraid, but we were travelling on a budget and i remember it wasn't too bad. When you go to Sorrento, make sure to go to Capri and along the Amalfi coast. It's one of the most beautiful places on earth!

hamlet Jun 1st, 1997 05:34 PM

Gabi's got it. The local train is called the Circumvesuviana. When you arrive at the Naples Garibaldi station just go downstairs to catch the Circumv. which leaves every 30-60 min, and it's about an hour more to Sorrento. Don't remember exactly how much, just a couple dollars, not a lot.

Murphy Jun 5th, 1997 12:43 PM

Murphy Jun 5th, 1997 12:47 PM

I was just there, too. Tickets are 8,000 ($5.00, approx) but roundtrips have to be used in 24 hrs. Sorrento is at the end of the 1 hour line and trains are frequent. You'll love Sorrento. Pompeii is on the Naples-Sorrento route - about half way. The Pompeii station is just steps from the entrance - don't miss Pompeii! FYI - the bus to Positano doesn't run according to schedule on Sunday, but people who travelled on weekdays didn't have any trouble. It's a 45 min. ride.

B & D Haegley Jun 6th, 1997 02:49 AM

There is a shuttle bus that runs free to Napels airport and allows a great view of the coastline that you should not miss. Just ask the hotels around the center square area for the time. The Napels airport is downtown and not too far from the train station.
There is a slow train you should avoid that goes to Rome. The faster train runs pretty frequently.

Rene McDaniel Jun 6th, 1997 04:38 PM

Several years ago, I took a morning train from Rome, to Sorrento. I remember changing in Naples, and making an afternoon stop in Pompeii. I walked through Pompeii for about 3-4 hours, and it was a really memorable and fantastic afternoon. It's so much better than the forum in Rome. In Pompeii you have a whole city to explore, you walk through the homes (enjoying the wonderful frescoes and mosaic tile floors), the marketplace, and you get such a "feel" for life in that city 2000 years ago. It is a really incredible experience, and directly on the route to Sorrento! Once you're in Sorrento, there are great bus connections to the charming Italian hill towns that hug the dramatic Amalfi coast. I ended up staying in the town of Amalfi, which I enjoyed tremendously. I never made it to Pasteum (further south), but I've heard the Greek temple there compares to the Parthenon in Athens and is quite incredible, as well. Bon Voyage, you should have an incredible trip!!!

Pam Jun 11th, 1997 08:29 AM

I'll be taking the fast train from Rome to Naples in July. Then we'll catch another train (downstairs?) from Naples to Sorrento. And then doing the trip back to Rome, as well. I have heard great things and am looking forward to it. Will let you know how it goes when I get back. Have a wonderful time on your trip!