Sorrento to Almalfi, Positano & Ravello

Aug 26th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Sorrento to Almalfi, Positano & Ravello

We are staying in Sorrento for six nights and want to hire a driver to visit Positano, Almalfi and Ravello. Please let me know how long this trip would take? Is it worth fitting the three towns in or should we keep it to two. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Aug 26th, 2013, 07:29 PM

It depends on how long you want to spend in each town. There are some great ferry rides that you can take to see the coast that will take you to these towns. We stayed in Positano last fall and did the ferry ride to Amalfi then took the Sita bus to Ravello. Lunch, shopping and touring the Villa's took us all day. Then we took the bus back down to Amalfi and the ferry back to Positano. Maybe use the driver to take you to Positano for the day or do the ferry to Positano and the driver to Amalfi/Ravello. Regardless it depends on what you plan on doing. These three towns are beautiful and exploring them will take some time,
Aug 27th, 2013, 12:58 PM
jgg

We just did that this past spring. We used Jerry of Sorrento First Choice (http://www.sorrentofirstchoice.com). We did all three towns a long with a few other interesting stops along the way. The weather was not ideal - heavy clouds all day, luckily it didn't actually rain until we were headed for the drive back to Sorrento. I do have in my notes that we were picked up at 9am, I don't have when we arrived back, but I recall it was a pretty full day - probably close to 5pm.
Aug 31st, 2013, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very helpful!
Aug 31st, 2013, 07:19 AM

It kind of works out with simple math. You're probably talking about 2-3 hours (very rough estimate, depending on traffic) time in the vehicle round-trip. Then you have three towns where you'll want to spend at least an average of 2 hours each(?), adding in time for lunch.

It's about a 9-hour day.
Aug 31st, 2013, 09:04 AM

Ditto for taking the ferry for part of the trip. It's a beautiful way to relax and see the coast.
Aug 31st, 2013, 09:08 AM

We too hired a private driver (don't remember the name but I can look it up if you wish)
There were 4 of us that traveled together.
We visited all 3 places you mentioned and felt that we had plenty of time at each place, having lunch in Ravello.
The driver was sooo nice and it was a great, relaxing way to see the area.
Aug 31st, 2013, 09:22 AM
WWK

Sorrento to Positano is about 30+ minutes by car, depending on traffic. You can also take a boat from Sorrento which takes about 40 minutes, and is very scenic and slightly less nauseating!

If you're interested in a driver, I can highly recommend Guemartravel.com, based in Sorrento. We just used one of their drivers a few weeks ago for a transfer Positano- Naples. I am blanking on his name, but the service and driver were fantastic!

And if you do go with a driver, plan on at least a half day to see all three towns, and try to get an early start.
Aug 31st, 2013, 09:55 AM

My experienced was same as JGG. I have a taxi on a fix fee basis pick us up in Sorrento at 9am. Visited Positano, then Ravello for lunch, then Amalfi, and back to Sorrento around 5pm. Whether it is rushed or not depends on your interest. While Positano was enjoyable when we arrived, I didn't care to stay much longer in Positano as morning progressed because tour groups after groups were pouring into the town and it overwhelmed the narrow streets. This is a liability as a day trip - you travel at the same time as group tours. Ravello was least crowded and would spend more time next time. Amalfi was also packed full of tour groups.
This was in April.
Aug 31st, 2013, 02:59 PM
WWK

As pointed out above, it's hard to avoid the crowds when you're day tripping. That's why we used to split up trips to the AC into at least two locations, so we could move around more easily. I know that can't always be done, but at least try to get a very early start.

Maybe you can tour /lunch in Ravello, then go on to Amalfi and Positano later in the day when it might not be as crowded.

One tip for Positano: If you do a quick overview, then take a leisurely walk in the direction of Fornillo Beach, you will hit fewer crowds than in town. And you'll see some stunning water views along the way, since the path-starting just behind the hotel COVO DEI SARCENI- hugs the sea.