Reload this Page >

sorrento palace hotel

Search

sorrento palace hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 1998, 08:47 PM
marilyn

sorrento palace hotel

has anyone stayed at this hotel - is it nice - is location good - worth the price?

Old Jan 21st, 1998, 04:28 PM
MC

I haven't stayed at the Sorrento Palace but I will be staying there on my tour in May. I did however get some info from my travel agent and a friend who stayed there, plus some kind people on the aol message boards. Supposedly it is a very nice, large hotel (not quaint or charming if that is what you're looking for). It's a short walk to the town, it has a restaurant with good views, an indoor and outdoor pool. If you can get your hands on the Michelin Guide Italia (red book, not the green one) there is a list of all the amenities as well as a map showing location.
I'll be there in May, post a message if you'd like feedback when I return. Good Luck!

Old Jan 23rd, 1998, 09:50 PM
michael

I have stayed there twice over the years, not by choice. It is hard to describe what a large, modern marble monolith it is given that I really haven't seen an equivalent anywhere else. That is not to say that I don't like it. The hotel has great views, terraced sun and pool decks, and large public spaces swathed in marble and bathed in flourescent light. It is quite a climb up to the hotel from the town. It is a very popular stay for the tour bus crowd. On the other hand, there are often blue-blooded Italians walking about. It will be a fine place to stay for a while, but don't center your Amalfi coast trip on it.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 07:06 AM
elizabeth

To the top for Greg

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 06:33 AM
l

stayed there about five years ago. We had an outstanding suite, with a separate bedroom with a large room for our two boys. Overlooked lemon groves and pompeii mtn. (don't remember name, vesuvius??). good location, good food, but it was large and not a lot of character as far as what you imagined you might stay in Italy. But it was definitely a nice hotel.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Lisa

I don't know about the hotel you named, but I can recommend one in Sorrento that I really enjoyed. The Bellevue-Syrene was incredibly pleasant and I credit it with making my time spent in Sorrento one of the highlights of my last trip to Italy. It is quiet, it offers private waterfront access (through a lift), the decor is charming without being ornate, and it was affordable and within walking distance from all that we wanted to see. Strongly recommended.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Elsa

I agree with Michael's assessment of the Sorrento Palace. If you don't like to walk much or if going up hill is difficult then the hotel might be somewhat inconvenient for you. We were 56yrs. last year, and didn't find it difficult walking into town - about 5-10min. It is anything but charming, but it isn't bad. The bedroom was large, but non-descript.We had just stayed at the Le Sirenuse in Positano, so probably any hotel would have been disappointing after that. If I go again, I would try to stay in a hotel closer to town (it's not that I minded the walk, but the sidewalks are on busy, uninteresting streets.