Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sorrento or Positano ????? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sorrento-or-positano-969300/)

dwmbit2014 Mar 5th, 2013 12:57 PM

Sorrento or Positano ?????

We want to add 4 nights to our trip to Italy ,What location is best to use as a base for this area south of Naples ?. Sorrento or Positano? We plan to visit Pompeii and do a trip to the amalfi coast, rest of time at leisure .Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks to all

ekc Mar 5th, 2013 02:05 PM

Positano is a perfect spot for leisure time. It is a picturesque town with good transportation to Amalfi/Ravello and Capri. You could see Pompeii on your way to/from Positano, to save time.

Surfergirl Mar 5th, 2013 02:16 PM

Well, Positano is on the Amalfi Coast, and Sorrento is said to also be on the Amalfi Coast, but is in the Gulf of Naples. Pompeii is closer to Sorrento. So is Capri.

But Positano is beautiful, and closest to Amalfi (the town) and Ravello.

I like both. Sorrento is busier than Positano, and Positano is more serene and picturesque than Sorrento, and from Positano, you can visit the village above it -- Montepertuso --- along with the other places mentioned, by ferry or bus, depending on the place. In Positano, you can take a day boat trip along the coast where you can dive off the boat and swim around. Or take a longer ride to Capri.

Meanwhile, in Sorrento, you're closer to Pompeii and Capri and day trips are better from there.

I'd pick Positano as a matter of personal preference, but seriously, you won't do wrong with either.

crckwc1 Mar 5th, 2013 02:20 PM

I have never stayed in Positano but twice have based in Sorrento for exploring the coast, both by car and by bus, as well as visiting Pompeii by car, and taking a day trip by train into Naples. One of our favorite views of the Amalfi coast is from Hotel Villa Cimbone in Ravello. It's been a few years, but the very best seafood ravioli I ever ate was in Amalfi at Stella Maris. You're going to love the Amalfi coast!

NeoPatrick Mar 5th, 2013 02:20 PM

Have been to both several times. One time we spent three nights in Sorrento (and did Pompeii from there, then also a several day trip to Capri, staying in Sorrento before and after) and also three nights in Positano.

It's hard to deny that Positano is a more romantic and beautiful spot, but frankly I think we enjoyed Sorrento just as much if not more. For one thing it wasn't 100% tourism.

Certainly the trip to Pompeii is MUCH easier from Sorrento than from Positano.

Jean Mar 5th, 2013 02:51 PM

No mention of Naples, but it's much easier to reach from Sorrento.

dwmbit2014 Mar 6th, 2013 01:10 PM

Thanks ekc,Surfergirl,crckw1,neopatrick and jean for all the input ,great ideas
Sounds like we may pick Positano,
we have priced tours to the ruins,and the amalfi coast and its only 20.00 more from Positano,so that wont be a issue.
We hope to find a real nice hotel/villa for our 4 nights in postiano???? anyone have a must see???,Our budget max is 300 euro a night for this part of the trip,we are coming from a villa in Tuscany and then on to rome for the last four nights,
thanks again for all the help