Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sorrento or Positano? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sorrento-or-positano-509841/)

klasher Mar 6th, 2005 12:22 PM

Sorrento or Positano?

My honeymoon is in May and I am having a hard time deciding on where to spend my 3 days on the Amalfi coast. Which location is best for romance, sightseeing and beaches?

ira Mar 6th, 2005 01:42 PM

Hi K,

We very much enjoyed staying at the Hotel Le Sirene in Praiano - abt 6km E of Positano.

www.lesirene.com

((I))

lisjanemon Mar 6th, 2005 02:11 PM

I think Positano is much more picturesque and therefore romantic but you would probably have more to do in Sorrento. Depends on which is more important to you.

KayF Mar 6th, 2005 06:56 PM

If you want good beaches you are going to the wrong place. The beach at Positano is black pebbles, there is no beach at Sorrento, only boardwalk built above the sea to lie on.
I think Positano would be more romantic than Sorrento but if you want to sightsee, Sorrento is more central. From Sorrento you can easily get to Pompeii, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, there is a train and bus station at Sorrento but only the bus at Positano.
Kay

bbj Mar 6th, 2005 08:49 PM

Positano -- no question!!! One of the favorite places I've travelled in the world. We stayed at Hotel Sirenuse-wonderful! Sorrento was nice too, but IMO no comparison between the two. (If you go to Positano, be sure to drive to Ravello - beautiful; and if time at least a day trip, overnight is better,to Capr1--you'll love it; it truly is spectacular (esp. the private boat trip around the island!)

natalia23 Mar 6th, 2005 10:45 PM

Definitely Positano. The scenery is stunning and the atmosphere unforgettable. My husband and I walked from Positano to Praino along the winding road built into the side of the cliff faces - stopping for a long lunch at a beautiful restaurant on the way... Get the bus back to Positano. The views are just magic.

Weadles Mar 7th, 2005 05:21 AM

For romance and sheer beauty, Positano.

For sightseeing and wealth of restaurants, Sorrento.

For beaches, the Caribbean.

ira Mar 7th, 2005 02:47 PM

Hi K,

I'm thinking that maybe your honeymoon is more than three days.

Mind sharing the rest of your itinerary?

((I))

ilcapo Mar 7th, 2005 05:07 PM

Honeymooned on the Amalfi three years and recommend Positano. You may also want to look into Ravello (palazzo sasso - sea view - it is in your budget is hands down the best hotel I have ever stayed in). At the very least, make it down for day trip...validate that the Piazza is not under construction.

Jun04ItalyHoneymoon Mar 7th, 2005 06:30 PM

Positano is definitely more romantic! We stayed there and loved it. Sorrento has more nightlife, but it is more noisy. I really loved Ravello and would love to go back there to stay, although it is at the top of the mountain and not convenient to the beaches. We were not impressed with the AC beaches. Lots of rocks!

Cicerone Mar 10th, 2005 06:44 AM

Keep in mind that May is not beach weather on the Amalfi coast. It is still cool then, esp the earlier part of the month. You may luck out and get a warm period, but the odds are that it will be in the mid to upper 60s F and the ow 70s. Still pretty, but not weather for lying by a beach or pool.