Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sorrento or Naples (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sorrento-or-naples-685600/)

mustsee Mar 6th, 2007 06:32 PM

Sorrento or Naples

I'm travelling to Italy in May and have to make a choice between basing myself in either Sorrento or Naples for 3nights so that I can visit Capri and the coast. While it is easier to get to Naples, from Rome I've been reading that it is a rough city to be in. Please advice!!

chrispet Mar 6th, 2007 06:36 PM

I have never stayed in Naples, but driving by, it didn't look overly appealing. Sorrento is fabulous!! Stay on the water, close to downtown. I walked everywhere and felt very safe

TravMimi Mar 6th, 2007 06:38 PM

I'm a Sorrento person. I like to take an ES train from Rome that stops at Mergellina station, get a taxi or hop a tram (5 min trip) to Beverello and take the 30 min hydrofoil to Sorrento.

kfusto Mar 7th, 2007 04:54 AM

IMO, Sorrento is beautiful and totally tourist oriented.

Naples is gritty and authentic.

I'll take Naples any day. :)

Pausanias Mar 7th, 2007 05:10 AM

I also prefer Naples, but Sorrento might be more convenient for what you want to do. It has easy connections to Capri, and the coast -- I presume you mean the Amalfi Coast -- is on the far side of Sorrento from Naples.

If you have any urge to see the attractions of Naples, though, I wouldn't be put off by negative reports. It's safe enough if you follow the usual big city precautions.

TravMimi Mar 7th, 2007 06:59 AM

I like Naples. I live in Sorrento and know Naples very well. Most tourists however don't. One can, in the blink of an eye, turn a corner and be in one of those "uncomfortable pockets". It's sad because this is why we see so many negative reports on travel message boards about Naples. It's one of my favorite big cities in Italy.

ekscrunchy Mar 7th, 2007 07:06 AM

Mimi you offer excellent advice here and I thank you.

Regarding Naples, what area would you recommend for a visitor as far as hotels?

And for Sorrento, Imperial Tramontana and Bristol sound good and not horribly pricey off season. What is your opinion of these and can you recommend a few of your favorites a bit below the highest price level?

Many thanks.

ira Mar 7th, 2007 07:12 AM

Hi M,

I love Naples.

My Lady Wife doesn't.

From Naples, you can easily visit Mt. Vesuvius, Pompei Scavi, Capri, Paestum and the Archaeological Museum.

You can take a daytrip along the AC by training to Salerno, ferry to Amali, SITA Bus to Meta, and Circumvesuviana to Naples.

We liked the Spaccanapoli district. See www.albergosansevero.it for hotels.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

TravMimi Mar 7th, 2007 07:20 AM

The area in Naples between Mergellina and Beverello pier on the lungomare, and the gardens has some beautiful hotels. In Sorrento: I do like the Tramontano. Quiet area beautiful views.
If you plan on using the train often you could be closer to the station. If you use hydrfoil more, Il Faro at marina piccola is very nice.

Huitres Mar 7th, 2007 08:10 AM

Sorrento offers easier access (IMO) to the Amalfi Coast and Capri because you are right there. In Napoli, you would have a longer ferry ride down to Amalfi, Positano, etc. From Sorrento, you can still do Rome, just wake up a bit earlier and hop on the convenient Circumvesuviana the 50 mins into Napoli Centrale, then catch a 7:00 am train into Roma's Termini station, arrive by 9:00 am.

I have very close family friends living in Napoli (Vomero) and it is lovely where they live. When I have stayed in Napoli, I stay down in the Chiaia district by the waterfront and Villa Communale area. I have walked many times from there to Molo Beverello port. It is a nice area close to the Castel Dell'Uovo, etc. Alternatively, staying up in the Vomero area is lovely too (near San Martino, etc).

In terms of convenience and being able to relax and not worry, Sorrento is preferred. I stay at the wonderful Lorelei e Londres (95 euros a night for ocean view room with terrace, breakfast) and also at a family-run pensione, Hotel Mara, if Lorelei is full. I love Sorrento and its ambiance, albeit the touristy scene. Buon viaggio!

TravMimi Mar 7th, 2007 08:16 AM

Huitres - That's the area I was talking about. If it's a beautiful day and I have time I even walk the lungomare from Mergellina train station to Beverello.

ekscrunchy Mar 7th, 2007 08:20 AM

Wonderful. Will put this information to use for an upcoming trip. I am trying now to decide between Campania and Puglia!! (see related post..)

Hoping to get an early jump on flights for next spring.
Maybe I will finally be able to use my ff miles if I plan far enough in advance!

Dayle Mar 7th, 2007 08:23 AM

Hi Mustsee,

I like Naples too! I have not stayed in Sorrento, but by traveling through a few times, it would not be my choice to stay for visiting the Amalfi Coast.

If you plan on visiting the Archeological Museum in Naples as well as Pompeii, I would stay in Naples.

Is there some reason why you don't want to stay in one of the smaller towns on the Amalfi Coast for visiting there? I would choose any of either Positano, Praiano, Ravello over Sorrento.

To me, if you stay in Sorrento, you might as well be in London.

Have fun!

TravMimi Mar 7th, 2007 08:30 AM

I like to mention, if you want to see the Archaeological Museum don't try it on Tuesdays, it's closed.

Huitres Mar 7th, 2007 08:48 AM

Wow, TravMimi, that is a long passegiata indeed from Molo Beverello to Mergillina station in Napoli! I have done it a couple times with my then 4 year old (2 years ago) - pushing her in the stroller. It's nice strolling through the Villa Communale, etc. I even stopped at the US Embassy to say to friends there. :) Is the Naples Acquarium in Villa Communale open yet? It has been closed the last couple times I checked, didn't know if it had re-opened?

mustsee, re: Napoli, there are also some nice hotels in the San Lucia area, adjacent to Chiaia that are quite ritzy, if one wanted to stay on Napoli's waterfront. They are within walking distance to the Piazza Plebiscito and Norman Castle. The access to the port is very convenient and you are not in the heart of the city and congestion.

I wouldn't compare being in Sorrento like being in London. True, there are lots of Brits there, but if you go to side streets and meet the locals, you can still get the Italian feel and experience. I speak Italian, look Italian and never get spoken to in English, so I don't have the problem with Sorrento having lots of British visitors. It doesn't impact me nor my child and our experience there. It's a wonderful place.

TravMimi Mar 7th, 2007 09:07 AM

Huitres - I don't get what's with the Acquarium. It's open then it isn't, then it is. I don't go often so I really can't say. Best bet with the Acquarium is checking the day before. It's supposed to be a Monday closer, and opens at 9 to 6 or so.

mari5 Mar 7th, 2007 09:41 AM

I would say Sorrento. Smaller town feel, safer, and easy to get hydrofoil to Capri, OR bus (or tour) to Almalfi coast. You can then make a day trip to Naples, or Pompeii etc.

ekscrunchy Mar 7th, 2007 11:03 AM

Ira, are you recommending the Albergo San Severo as a Naples hotel?

In your trip report you say that the room stank of sewage and that the price was too high for what was provided!

I am sure I am missing something here...