Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sorrento - Lodging Needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sorrento-lodging-needed-17803/)

Tom Oct 10th, 1997 06:16 AM

Sorrento - Lodging Needed

Any suggestions for inexpensive, ocean view lodging in Sorrento, Italy? Thanks.

Mackay Oct 10th, 1997 06:35 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Aminta while in Sorrento last April. The people were very friendly. The hotel sits up on a hill and overlooks the bay of Naples. Only problem is, there was rarely a "clear" day. There is a lot of smog there. The hotel is probably a 3-star. We booked it through a travel agent in England. The hotel has a shuttle bus that takes you into the town centre, but the walk is wonderful, although a little hilly. There is a Foreign Visitors Center in Sorrento that has an outdoor cafe that overlooks the bay that is very reasonable in price and has fabulous views from above the harbor. Enjoy, we certainly did.

Mackay Oct 10th, 1997 06:35 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Aminta while in Sorrento last April. The people were very friendly. The hotel sits up on a hill and overlooks the bay of Naples. Only problem is, there was rarely a "clear" day. There is a lot of smog there. The hotel is probably a 3-star. We booked it through a travel agent in England. The hotel has a shuttle bus that takes you into the town centre, but the walk is wonderful, although a little hilly. There is a Foreign Visitors Center in Sorrento that has an outdoor cafe that overlooks the bay that is very reasonable in price and has fabulous views from above the harbor. Enjoy, we certainly did.

Mackay Oct 10th, 1997 06:36 AM

Jane Oct 11th, 1997 06:12 AM

Stay at the Villa Parco...ask for the building on the cliff...not at the gate...Breathtaking view..private patio on the cliff...small beach...nice pool...great food...a little walk to the main shopping...a bus ride to the launch to Capri...but not cheap

murphy Oct 13th, 1997 06:43 AM

Murphy Oct 13th, 1997 06:52 AM

Sorry about that last entry. I'd enthusiastically recommend Albergo Minerva -- it has it all: It's built on a cliff (overlooking the Bay of Naples, of course). Take an elevator to the 5th floor reception lobby - you step out onto a terrace with a pool (the view!) and enter the gracious hotel - by the way: this place is NOT expensive - 180,000 lira this past spring ($108). The staff if wonderful, they serve great meals (breakfast included in room rate), there is a lounge with a bar and the rooms are big! High ceilings, French doors onto a balcony or terrace (view!!) -- we just loved it. There's a little market on the short walk into the city center where you can stop for wine, water, sandwiches, etc. You'll love Sorrento - and the Minerva! Fax: 011-39-81-878-1949. Tel: 011-39-81-878-1011. Mary Ellena will be very helpful. Enjoy.