Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sorrento - itinerary help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sorrento-itinerary-help-1649737/)

lms1988 Mar 6th, 2018 03:35 PM

Sorrento - itinerary help

Hi!

My husband and I are staying 5 nights in Sorrento in late April. We’ll have Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday for day trips.

This is what we’re thinking so far:
- Friday: day trip to Capri/Anacapri. I’d like to do a blue grotto tour and the Mount Solaro chair lift.
- Saturday: day trip to Pompeii and possibly Vesuvius.
- Sunday: day trip to Ravello and Amalfi.
- Monday: day trip to Positano.

Any suggested itineraries for these places? Easiest way to get to each place? Any must sees/dos?

Thanks so much!

isabel Mar 6th, 2018 03:44 PM

Well Capri is obviously by boat. There are ferries you can take as well as private 'excursions' that many hotels offer. Some of these include the Blue Grotto. If you take the ferry over you can get a Blue Grotto Tour once you are there.

Pompeii is easily reached by the commuter train from Sorrento.

Amalfi and Positano can be done by bus or boat (ferry). Since you are planning two day trips I'd do a mixture - things look different at different times of day so maybe one day take the boat there and the bus back and the next day switch it up. There is only one (maybe two in high season) boat in each direction though so you have to plan. I think it leaves Sorrento heading to Positano (and then on to Amalfi) around 10 am and returns in late afternoon. To get to Ravello from Amalfi there are buses. It is possible to do all three towns in one day trip from Sorrento but I usually go twice. The "getting there" is a big part of the experience, whether by bus or boat.

MmePerdu Mar 6th, 2018 04:49 PM

Consider making time for Herculaneum, also on the Circumvesviana train line between Sorrento & Naples mentioned above by isabel, very easy to get to from Sorrento.

PalenQ Mar 6th, 2018 05:19 PM

Ercolo is unique but not nearly comparable to Pompeii and of course a major classic Roman ruiin that could easily be twinned with Pompeii as on same CircumVesuviana commuter train line. But, IMO ascending Vesuvius on that day would be a much much more awe-inspiring adventure - walking up to crater overlook (from where shuttles let you off) to the crater thru old lava flows to me was one of the most unique and mesmerizing things I've done in decades of travel.

kja Mar 6th, 2018 05:44 PM

You might want to make time for the magnificent Archeological Museum in Naples.
Positano is unlikely to require a full day.
The Blue Grotto is only assessable when tide and weather comply; if it's a priority, see what you can learn about its accessibility before leaving Sorrento.

Jean Mar 6th, 2018 06:59 PM

DItto kja's comments. I would combine Amalfi, Ravello and Positano in one long day. Not ideal but entirely possible. Then, visit the Naples archeology museum and other Naples sights one day. Personally I'd skip Vesuvius. It's a time eater. We spent most of a day at Pompeii the first time, but if you need less time there, try to visit nearby Ercolano. Pompeii and Ercolano are quite different.

MmePerdu Mar 6th, 2018 07:54 PM

(Ercolano / Herculaneum = same place)

AJPeabody Mar 7th, 2018 05:16 AM

Sounds like part of what we did a few years ago.

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...-italy-939467/

Just skip the Rome part of the report.

Remember, Capri is best when the water is calm, so be flexible on the day planning. Also, Herculaneum can easily be done on the same day as Pompeii from Sorrento, if you have good walking shoes.

I agree that the Archeological Museum in Naples is not to be missed.

thursdaysd Mar 7th, 2018 05:20 AM

I preferred Herculaneum to Pompeii, but YMMV. I didn't get to the temples at Paestum, but regret it. If you could manage at least one overnight on Capri it is much nicer after the day trippers leave (and I found a cheap hotel with good views).

PalenQ Mar 7th, 2018 06:32 AM

Ercolo is neat - but in no way comparable to much vaster Pompeii - do both if you can but don't skip Pompeii for Ercolo. Ercolo takes a lot less time since it is much smaller - but yes still awesome:

https://www.google.com/search?q=herc...h=738&dpr=1.25

Try to d both!

MmePerdu Mar 7th, 2018 07:23 AM

"Ercolo as a boy's name is of Italian and Greek origin, and the meaning of Ercolo is "splendid gift or Hera's glory"."

"Ercolano [erkoˈlaːno] is a town and commune in the Metropolitan City of Naples, Campania of Southern Italy."

PalenQ Mar 7th, 2018 08:40 AM

Yes it should be Herculaneum for the archaeological site which is in Ercolo. I agree. Never can remember how to spell Herculaneum though!

MmePerdu Mar 7th, 2018 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ (Post 16689364)
Yes it should be Herculaneum for the archaeological site which is in Ercolo. I agree. Never can remember how to spell Herculaneum though!

No, PQ, wrong again. Put "Ercolo, Italy" into Google maps (or your choice) and see what you find. Apologies for the diversion, everyone else, but in place names spelling matters. There is no Ercolo.

PalenQ Mar 7th, 2018 10:05 AM

Ercolano it is. Ercole is a port. anyway back to theme of thread. sorry for mistakes.

MmePerdu Mar 7th, 2018 10:37 AM

PQ, are you feeling well? The port is Porto Ercole. This isn't like you. Maybe train websites is your real forte after all. I'll stop now.

kja Mar 7th, 2018 06:31 PM

To clarify:

Herculaneum (near modern day Ercolano) and Pompeii (near modern day Pompei) are both ruins dating from the same eruption of Mt. Vesuvius – but they were different before they were destroyed (Herculaneum was apparently a relatively small upscale resort town, while Pompeii was a large work-a-day city) and they were destroyed by different mechanisms (leaving more wood and so second stories intact in Herculaneum). It takes far less time (maybe 2 hours) to see Herculaneum than to see Pompeii (6 hours is not unusual).

So: they are different! Some people do not find the differences sufficient to justify visiting both; I am among the many who thought the contrasts fully justified seeing both. Your call! Do some research to see what site or combination best suits your needs – there is a TON of information available in most guidebooks.

@ PalenQ: You obviously want to help, and you have a wealth of insights to share, but every time you present mistaken or misleading information undermines your credibility. You obviously have access to the internet: Please consider checking your information before posting.

AJPeabody Mar 8th, 2018 09:47 AM

I have been known to say that Pompeii shows the bones, Herculaneum the flesh, and the Archeological Museum in Naples the soul. See them all to know the place.

kja Mar 8th, 2018 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by AJPeabody (Post 16690126)
I have been known to say that Pompeii shows the bones, Herculaneum the flesh, and the Archeological Museum in Naples the soul. See them all to know the place.

You've captured them perfectly, IMO! :star: :star:

PalenQ Mar 8th, 2018 05:04 PM

AND Mt Vesuvius lording above all poignantly reminding us more than ever of nature's omnipotence. Climate change could be our Vesuvius - living under it and not even thinking about how sooner or later it could destroy us!

AJPeabody Mar 8th, 2018 06:39 PM

There is a place in Pompeii where you can see Vesuvius through an ruined arch. The mountain, a perfect cone before the eruption, is seen with its top exploded off. The whole story of Pompeii in one picture. The original cone would top out almost a third of the way up inside that arch view.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...85f8c67a0f.jpg