Sorrento hotels: Villa Maria vs. Tonnarella vs. others

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently finalizing my honeymoon plans and am having second thoughts about our hotel in Sorrento. We plan to use Sorrento as a home base for exploring the Amalfi Coast.

I am currently booked for a deluxe double in the Villa Maria in Sorrento which guarantees a sea view balcony. It is close to the city center and has gotten decent reviews in the past.

My second thoughts have begun because I am wondering whether we should stay at a hotel that is more scenic like "La Tonnarella" even though it is not as close to the city center.

It is the first stop in our Italian honeymoon and I would like a little romance. (mind you we won't be true newlyweds since we have been married since November and due to professional obligations couldn't do our long trip yet).

I am also waiting to hear from some other similar hotels in the area: Rivage, Regina, Admiral, Del Mare, Minerva.

Other information: this is my 5th trip to Italy, my husband's FIRST trip to Europe!!!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Oddly enough, I've stayed at LaTonnarella and am booked in villa maria for early June because LaTonnarella was full for the dates I wanted. Villa Maria has gotten great reviews and it looks like it has nice views (and a pool). But I would go for Tonnarella for a honeymoon. I've stayed at the Minerva as well and loved the rooftop pool and terraces. Ah, decisions.....
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 03:14 PM

We had a wonderful and romantic stay at Albergo Lorelei e Londres; it has lovely balcony rooms overlooking the Bay, an elevator down to the water; an excellent restaurant (well, at least two years ago), and a funky friendly feel. It is not swank or expensive and does not have luxury feel, although the rooms were large and nicely appointed.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:31 PM

I like the Lorelei also, but they can't guarantee view rooms before you show up, so the trick is to get there early in the day and be very nice to the desk person. If this works, you get the best views from your balcony and it is easy walking distance to town. Ask to see the room before you take up your luggage!
I think the Villa Maria is close to the hospital so I would vote for Tonnarella or one of it's neighbors.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Meanwhile Villa Maria is noisy?
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 04:46 PM

I was thinking about staying there once, until I found a map and it is right next to the giant hospital, I have walked by it since then and it is pretty far from the cliff, nearer the road.
I don't know about noise, but not a romantic neighborhood.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I decided we wanted the more romantic feel of La tonnarella, despite the longer walk.

We have cancelled our Villa Maria reservations and now are reserved for a double room with a sea view balcony at la Tonnarella! Sadly they no longer had rooms with a terrace!

If only April would get here sooner!

Thanks for all your replies!