Search

Sorrento Hotel Location

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorrento Hotel Location

Hi

I really need your advice. A friend of mine is going to Sorrento, and he is disabled. He can't walk for very long, and would like to use taxis and drivers while there.

His group has asked me to find them a hotel in Sorrento, and I am not all that familiar with the town, although I've been there.

Can anyone please suggest a location that would be central, close to transport or accessible to cabs and drivers? Any hotel names would be appreciated for such a location. My friend needs a lift/elevator, too.

Their trip is in January so a pool isn't a consideration.

Thanks so much.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Well, first,, it would help if you give an approximate budget.

Second, Sorrento somewhat - and the Amalfi coast more so -is largely vertical - requiring not only a lot of walking but a LOT of steps.

Third, January weather is unlikely to be very good - so it;s possible ferries may not run - or be limited. And many hotels and restaurants will be closed. So - I would pick another area than a beach resort for a Jan vacation, unless there is some specific reason why you have to be there - versus a larger city - with a lot more to do indoors, largely flat, and easy taxi access.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 09:40 AM

The center part of Sorrento is flat.

And it's not a "beach resort".

I do agree that we need a budget first.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I should have given a budget. So sorry. They haven't been as specific about prices as I would like; I guess 200 USD is good middle ground.

But knowing that the center is flat is very helpful.

They have chosen Sorrento because of access to Pompeii and Herculaneum, and because it is a pretty town with hotels and restaurants, and hopefully more accessible than the Amalfi Coast towns.

Two of the travelers would enjoy wine bars and cafes; one is totally into archeaology, and the other is the one with mobility problems.

I am shooting for the center for them.

I do hope they don't have awful weather, but the time of year was their choice and not mine.

They are spending several days in larger cities.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Oh, sorry, more from me:

Will many things really be closed in Sorrento during January? I haven't come across any hotels that list closings and I've looked at so many my eyes are crossed.

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 01:05 PM
LJ

We stayed at this hotel which seems to meet your friend's needs. It is glamourous for the budget, I think because it lacks the views of some of the coastal hotels.The dining room lacked ambiance but the food was good. There was an elevator easily reached from the front entrance and it was adjacent to the main piazza where the buses left.(We were with a school group so I tended to notice stuff like bus access!) Try venere.com for best rates and good online shopping for hotels if you have not yet done so.
Hotel Savoia - Sorrento
Via Fuorimura 46 - 80067 Sorrento
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 01:22 PM

If you decide to book through Venere.com, LJ probably can give you a code for 4% discount and he can receive a small credit. Or I can give you a code. Or ask on this board.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 01:22 PM

I really liked the location of the Villa di Sorrento hotel. It was just a few steps from Via del Corso just off the large piazza Tasso. I would recommend it to someone who could not walk very far. Lots of taxi stands and bus stops are near by.

We were there in November 05 and the room rate was 90 euros for a double. www.villadisorrento.it tel: 081 8781068 Deborah
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM

I wnet to Pompei and remember it as a very difficulf walking surface with cobblestones, uneven streets and fairly long distances. Please inform your friend of this if thta is the main reason for visiting the area.

David J
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would select a hotel close to Piazza Tasso. www.sorrentoinfo.com or www.venere.com let you locate hotels by area/map.

There is an accessibility link on the Pompeii web site, but the information is in Italian.
www.pompeiisites.org
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Hi

I echo David's comments. This link for Pompeii regarding the disabled may help - http://tinyurl.com/odd4o.

Have a look at the B&B Sorrento Relais - http://www.sorrentorelais.com. Their website states "Every room ...is equipped with JACUZZI hydro-massage bath... Each room has a terrace with a small table and chairs." The B&B is also very central.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:05 PM

It's true the center of Sorrento is flat and since it's a larger town and closer to Pompeii it's a better choice. But you need to be sure to stay right near the main square - or it starts to get more hilly.

If the person with problems walking plans on doing Pompeii definitely get as much advance info as possible. As I recall there is a ton of walking, much of it on uneven original Roman paving stones and paths.

Sorry I can;t help with a hotel - the one we've stayed at has fairly extensive grounds before you reach the entrance gate - that might be an issue.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

These suggestions are all great; thank you so much. I'm really trying to do my best for them, because I think very highly of the disabled young man, and the others who are treating him to Italy. Sometimes, people are great. I actually have tears in my eyes right now. Providing the accessibility information for Pompeii is so incredible. Thank you.

They are aware that he might have a rough time at Pompeii, and he is willing to use a wheelchair.

I have been using Venere all afternoon, but writing to hotels myself, as I want to make sure any place I book for them understands that there are some special needs.

Thank you all so much.
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 06:01 AM

I'll second the Villa di Sorrento, mentioned above. Nothing fancy, but it's Right There in the center.