Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sorrento Hotel Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sorrento-hotel-help-605036/)

csabia Apr 4th, 2006 10:17 AM

Sorrento Hotel Help

I've booked BW La Solara and am having second thoughts. Has anyone stayed there or does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonably priced hotel in the area with a pool that would accomodate 2 adults/2 children in 1 room?
Thanks

sandi_travelnut Apr 4th, 2006 10:55 AM

www.tripadvisor.com for reviews.

sandi_travelnut Apr 4th, 2006 10:56 AM

plus, what is "reasonable" to you? 100 euro per night or 500?

csabia Apr 4th, 2006 11:13 AM

Less than 250 euros per night.

i_am_kane Apr 4th, 2006 11:24 AM

I had considered the BW La Solara for the same reasons you have. However, in the end, we all felt it was just a little too far out of town.

You may want to contact the Grand Aminta, which can accommodate four in a room. The view of the bay from this hotel is outstanding.

The prices I was quoted for July, 2006 were 209 euro garden view, 228 euro seaview, breakfast included. The room would have one double and two twins. I want to caution you that the two twin beds are rollaways. For a long-term stay it would have been an issue for us, but it's only for two nights.

This hotel has a main building and an annex. From what I've heard, it's more desirable to stay in the main building. Free shuttle service into town. It's worth looking at:

www.aminta.it

e-mail: [email protected]

csabia Apr 4th, 2006 11:33 AM

Thank you. Aminta doesn't seem to have availability for 4 on our travel dates, but I emailed them directly just to be sure. Have you been there yet? It seems a bit out of town also. They run a shuttle similar to La Solara. So confusing. I really want a property with a pool. We'll be coming from Rome, so the kids will need to relax a bit.

Huitres Apr 4th, 2006 11:47 AM

I have never heard of the BW La Solara and go frequently to Sorrento. However, from what I've read, it is not in the town centre; and I would not want to stay in an American chain while in Italy.

I was in Sorrento 5 months ago and have a young child (now 6 yrs old). We always stay at the Hotel Lorelei e Londres, Via Califano, 12 (Tel 011.39.081.807.3187
Fax 011.39.081.532.9001) and like it very much. The hotel is within 7-10 mins walk to Piazzo Tasso (town center), and is perched along the seaside cliff. Their double rooms with wonderful sea view of the Gulf of Naples cost 95 euros a night, including breakfast. The 4 of you could easily fit in a double room and ask for another bed to be brought in for your 2 children (unless they offer triple rooms?). The rooms are quite spacious with a walk-out terrace that has chairs/table outside too. Rooms 14, 11, 12, 13 are best. The hotel has its own restaurant and there is also an elevator that takes you down to the sea level where they have their own pool and private beach. You do have to pay a couple euros for rental of a beach chair/equipment that can be added to your room charge. The Hotel Lorelei is within walking distance (10 mins) to the Circumvesuviana train station as well. To get down to the Marina Piccola, you can catch a local bus (1 euro) from the Piazza Tasso that will take you down the hill, where you catch the daily ferries to the Amalfi Coast towns (Amalfi, Positano, etc) also Capri, Naples, etc. While this is not a grand-style luxury accommodation, it is a very comfortable, terrificly priced place that is family-owned. It is a favorite among British travelers too as you will see many staying there. Here is a photo of the place:
http://www.davearlington.com/S-Italy/Italyframeset.html

Catbert Apr 4th, 2006 11:54 AM

I love the Aminta. The views are fabulous and the hotel is very comfortable. The pool area is especially nice. It's an easy walk to town but a hike back. The shuttle runs regularly so it's not a problem. I recommend you don't do half board at the hotel. If you get a room in the Villa make sure you have a sea view. You can see fire flies from your balcony.

SusanMargaret Apr 4th, 2006 12:14 PM

On the recommendation of Fodorites, we stayed at Hotel Settimo Cielo (www.hotelsettimocielo.com) in August. It is a 7 or 8 minute walk (uphill) from the centre of Sorrento. We booked a room with a terrace and had an amazing view over the water. The cost was 140 euros a night and included breakfast - served inside or outside the dining room, again with an amazing view of the water. The hotel also has a pool, which would be terrific for the children. The photos on the website will give you an idea of the location of this hotel, which is terrific value for money.

csabia Apr 6th, 2006 05:51 AM

Many of the recommended places are booked already.