Sorrento/Capri? What to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Sorrento for about a day and a half. My train arrives to Naples at 2:05. From there, I plan on going to Pompeii, on the way to my hotel in Sorrento. The next day I have a full day in Sorrento. The following day, my train departs Naples at 11:54. What is there to do in Sorrento? Will I stay busy for a full day? The tour books don't seem to have much written about Sorrento. Or, should I spend the full day going to Capri? Could I do Sorrento and Capri in one day? Any advice about anything with this trip would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM

If I were going to Capri beckers I would stay in Naples. You can easily visit Pompeii from Naples and the next day take the hydrofoil from Naples to Capri and come back at the end of the day (be sure to check the schedule of course). Enjoy early morning in Naples and you are right there to catch your 11:54 train from the Naples train station.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

My hotel and travel plans are final... Naples is not an option. Thanks for your suggestion though.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Hi beckers,

Please don't take this as harsh, but I never do understand why people make travel plans that seem to be cast in concrete, THEN ask where they should go and what there is to do there.

What was it that made you choose Sorrento?

On to your question - given the seemingly unchangeable plans you have, I would go to Capri for the day. Take the earliest transporation over and the second to the last back. I say second to last back because you never know for sure when and if a specific boat will show up on time or at all.

I've never stayed in Sorrento, but have passed through several times and wouldn't care to stay.

Pompeii is amazing, I've spent many hours over 2 visits
Amalfi Coast - gorgeous, 2 visits
Capri - pretty but very touristy during the day, nice if you get away from the crowds
Naples - wonderful, fascinating, want to go back

Hotels can be cancelled, train tickets can be purchased usually at the last minute, etc. You need to be a little flexible - it's Italia!

Hope this helps, buon viaggio!
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Due to certain circumstances, this was a last minute trip (long story), which was booked by a travel agent through a tour operator. Since it was so last minute and had to be booked ASAP due to the rising cost in airfare, we did not have much time to research everything. When I was researching things myself prior to even going to a travel agent, I never even considered going to Sorrento. Anyways, the travel agent had us stay in Sorrento because we definitely wanted to go to Pompeii. So instead of doing a long tour from Rome, we would be closer to Pompeii and get to see someplace else. However, I do regret that we also booked our trains with the tour operator because I do not the reservation times for they can be a little limiting. But once again, this was so last minute that we didn't have much time to consider everything and truly "plan." Also, I wish we booked an extra day in Sorrento to have more time to explore the coast. But there is always next time!
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM

I would definitely go to Capri for the day too. You can hike up to the town if you're up for it, (or take the cable car) get a cool lemon drink or some gelato with the other million people, take some pics, and then hike down the OTHER side of the island, for some pretty cool beaches. It's an island. Pretty hard to get lost. Just my $.02.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 06:08 PM

I just came back from a trip to Rome/Pompeii/Capri/Positano and LOVED this area. We rented a car from Rome, drove to Pompeii, then dumped our rental car in Sorrento before taking the ferry to Capri. We didn't spend much time in Sorrento, but I have to say that Capri had among the most beautiful scenery I had ever seen anywhere.

My favorite day there we rented a private boat to take us around the island for 3 hours (we traveled with 6 friends). The boat left from the docks at Marina Grande and did a full circle of the island, stopping at the Blue Grotto and a secluded cove for swimming. Capri town did swarm with tourists during the day (not pleasurable)- I enjoyed walking down from Capri town to Marina Piccolo instead, on the Via Krupp. Amazing views, and there's a little pebble beach and restaurants when you get there.

Eventually I hope to write a trip report...

If I had the choice I'd probably spend the day in Capri rather than Sorrento, but perhaps someone with more experience in Sorrento feels differently?
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you need a new travel agent - or, better, do without. There isn't much to do in Sorrento, it's mostly a good base for visiting other places, but Capri is overrun by tourists during the day, and is much nicer at night. However, if you do some hiking you can get away from the crowds. I would definitely plan to spend the day at Capri, unless you think you'll need longer at Pompeii, or want to see Herculaneum or the Amalfi Coast. Doing Pompeii justice really requires 4-6 hours.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd also suggest Capri for the day.

Where are you staying in Sorrento? I'm not as down on Sorrento as others, but your hotel location might determine how much you'll be able to see in the few evening hours after you return from Capri and the very few morning hours before you return to the Naples train station. I'd spend the evening wandering the area west of Piazza Tasso. It will be very busy late into the evening. The next morning, I'd get out early and walk as close to the cliffs as possible to Marina Grande and back. (The ferry dock is at Marina Piccola.) Most people choose Sorrento for its transportation options, but the views of the bay and Vesuvius are beautiful.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It's easy to take the ferry from Sorrento to Capri for the day or take a bus or ferry to Amalfi/Positano. The return ferries from Capri don't run late so you can't really stay late and have dinner.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM

Beckers,

Don't feel bad about being in Sorrento. Sorrento is really quite beautiful. Thousands of people go there for vacations every year. I've been there three times and stayed ten days once. I have also been to Capri and Positano. Yes, the little city center area is very touristy and busy, but so is Capri and many other places in Italy. I don't know where your hotel is located in Sorrento, but if you are lucky enough to be up on one of the cliffs, you will have fabulous views. If not, you can walk there easily and have lunch or dinner in one of those places.

You can easily take a boat to Capri or (another option) down the coast to Amalfi or Positano.

There isn't a lot to do exactly in Sorrento, except walk about, eat, shop, swim, take excursions to other places, etc.
All of that is fun though.

A couple of suggestions: It will be late and you will be tired the first night. Just pick a good restaurant, have a nice dinner and relax. If you aren't too tired, amble over to the Foreigners' Club (Circolo dei Forestieri) on V. d. Maio 35, for a drink after dinner to enjoy the music and the stars and the view. There is a drink minimum or cover charge, but well worth it, IHMO.

The next day, do take a boat, either to Capri or Positano or Amalfi. I love Positano because the views from the water are spectacular, and hiking up and down steps (lots of them), but that is personal. Capri is also lovely, especially for walking, but very busy and touristy during the day. In the evening, another nice dinner in Sorrento (the small marina is nice) and stroll the shopping area in the evening.

This is one of my favorite things - might not be to anyone else - but very early in the morning before returning to Naples, head down to the marina (the smaller one, as I remember) to see the fish catches being brought in. It was beautiful and amazing to see giant fish being lifted out of the boats with the aid of winches, and taking three or four hefty men to get each one onto a cart to take it up to the restaurants. Great photo ops.

One other idea, which might be a little crazy, but I would do it. If you leave early to catch the train back to Naples, you could visit Herculaneum on your way back. Catch the 7:30 A.M. train from Sorrento. Get to Herculaneum about 8:45. Walk to the site, which opens at 9:00. Spend an hour and a half. Catch the 11:00 train back to Naples. Arrive Naples at 11:15. I would say take the 11:30 train back to Naples because it is only 15 minutes, but that would be cutting it close. You would have only about an hour and forty five minutes in Herculaneum, but I sure think it is worth it, if you are interested in archeological sites. It is a wonderful contrast with Pompeii. Unfortunately, I don't know about luggage storage there.

I know this is long, but I want you to feel assured that Sorrento is not a bad choice. It is lovely, convenient, and you will have a wonderful time.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 07:25 PM

I once spent a very pleasant evening and night in Sorrento. Some clients of mine used it as a base, as you are doing, and they had quite a nice time. These were very sophisticated men, out to see archaeological sites, and the loved returning to Sorrento in the evenings.

You will have a great time.

My choice for your full day would be to travel by boat to either Capri on one (or more) of the Amalfi Coast towns. If Capri, make sure you plan some hikes out of the center of Capri town. It's only awful in the center, on the shopping streets. Pick some other spots to visit, and you will love it.