Day trip from York without car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be staying in York Thursday, May 15 arriving around lunchtime, and Monday/Tuesday, May 19 and 20. I would like to see some of Yorkshire outside the city but I won't have a car. I read that Monday is Market Day in Thirsk. I have enjoyed reading and watching James Herriot stories so I think a side-trip there would be fun. I also would love to see any historical sites, quaint towns or nature walks within reach of there. I'll be traveling alone so safety is a concern (not sure about long walks out of town?). I'm fit and enjoy exercise. I am coming from the Chicago area and this is my first time in Yorkshire.
Questions:
I am thinking one day out of York and 1 1/2 days in the city is a good split?
What would be the easiest way to get to Thirsk from York? Is the James Herriot museum walking distance from the market area? Are there other towns, sites or walks I could reach from there by bus or train? Any restaurants/pubs/tearooms not to miss? Any tours of the area that depart from York? Any souvenirs that would really represent the region?

I am staying with a friend in York so I don't need accommodations. Thank you in advance for your advice!
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 06:37 AM

There's a railway station in Thirsk but it's a mile and a half away from the centre along a busy road (there's a pavement but it's not a particularly pleasant walk).
I believe there are buses from York and these might be your best bet as they will stop near the Market place. The bus will probably take longer than the train but you won't have to do that walk!
Yes, the Museum is very close to the Market Square.
The countryside around Thirsk is pleasant enough but it's not comparable to the beautiful scenery you'd see if you choose to visit the Moors or the Dales. Have a look at the Thirsk Tourist Board site for more ideas.
http://www.visitthirsk.org.uk/pages/home.php
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Morgana. Is there an easy way to get into the Moors or Dales by bus if I left Thirsk after seeing the Herriot Museum or would that be too much to attempt for an afternoon? Would it be a better choice to go further afield from York to spend the day in the Moors or Dales (not sure which is more accessible from York) and skip Thirsk? I'm really flexible at this point. I appreciate your input. When I'm researching the Yorkshire websites, everything looks interesting (I've looked at your past posts, for example, Morgana) but I can't get a feel for how I would do it without a car.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 07:25 AM

Hi, Cristi (and fellow midwesterner). Another day-trip-by-public-transporation option is Castle Howard, if you want to visit a gorgeous, grand estate. Have a great time on your trip!
http://www.castlehoward.co.uk/house-...transport.html
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 07:35 AM

I go everywhere by car, as do the vast majority of people who live in the rural villages up here, so I'm not good at giving advice about public transport!
If you aren't that bothered about the Herriot Museum then I think a fantastic day out would be to go to Pickering (assume there must be a bus from York to Pickering) and then go on the North York Moors Railway which steams across the Moors to the coast. You can hop on and off the train and explore the little villages you go through. Does this appeal?
Have a look at this thread too -
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop....html#34056472
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 07:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We tested out this website last year in Yorkshire and it works pretty well

http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2...epeatingloop=Y

One possible route is to take the bus out to Pickering and then the local railway into the North York Moors
http://www.nymr.co.uk/
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 07:37 AM

Great minds Bilbo!
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 07:38 AM

alternatively you could catch the bus to Fountains Abbey, walk the place and then follow the paths back into Ripon and its Minster and then bus back.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

I would love to do the North York Moors Railway! I'll do some research with that thread and links and see what I can get planned. Sounds like just what I'm looking for if I can work out the transportation. Thank you.
Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 09:43 AM

It looks like the bus is just over an hour and from memory the walk to the NYMR is about 10 minutes, if you can get on trains that offer meals it is not a bad experience, I've done it in a summer evening with deer running beside the track
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

So I have done some research and now need help prioritizing my time. I will arrive in York (from Chicago area) on Thursday, May 15 by around 11 AM. I'll have the day to see York and stay overnight with my cousin at York St. John University. We'll be out of town (in Wales) Friday through Sunday. Then I have Monday and Tuesday to see what I'll see of Yorkshire before heading to London Wednesday morning. I'll be staying in dorm-type accommodations most of the trip.
So, option one would be to leave York early Monday morning and travel to Whitby, arriving around 11. I could spend 3 hours seeing Whitby then I could take the NYMR departing around 2:30. I could stop for a couple of hours at one of the stops along the way (Grosmont? Goathland?) then finish the ride and arrive at Pickering around 5:40.

I need to decide if I head straight back to York then so I can have a full day Tuesday in York or if I find a really cute B&B (remember the dorm type room in York) in Pickering for the night and walk around the area the next morning. I could then take a noon-ish bus back to York and have the afternoon in York.

So the question is should I spend more time in York or in the Northern Yorkshire area. Thoughts? Thank you!
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 06:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> I could stop for a couple of hours at one of the stops along the way (Grosmont? Goathland?)<<

Unless you want to do some hiking there is no reason to spend time other than just the time the train is in the station(s).

A few places you are missing include Castle Howard, Thirsk, Eden Camp, Fountains Abbey, several other beautiful abbeys. Whitby and the NYMRR are interesting, but IMO you are sacrificing a lot to see them.
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 10:38 PM

If I was you I'd consider stopping in Whitby overnight and not Pickering although I am not sure how this would work with your Nymr ticket. You could explore Whitby properly and also Robin Hood's Bay and do some coastal path walking too
Agree with Janis that you won't need long to explore Goathland etc unles you are planning walks from the stations?
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 01:46 AM

Here's some info about RHB.
http://www.yorkshire.com/places/york...obin-hoods-bay
Your problem is to decide what you want to do/see most of all in your very limited time. Only you can decide that.
I've lived in North Yorkshire for nearly 25 years and still have so much to see and do!