Sorrento/Amalfi coast

Mar 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Sorrento/Amalfi coast

Touring Southern italy for 8 days in late August. Question is should I book entire stay in Sorrento as our base or 4 nights in Sorrento and 4 somewhere else -- positano, rafello??

Just now starting the planning process.

Thank you.
Mar 23rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
ira

Hi C,

When you say "Southern Italy" do you mean more than the coast between Sorrento and Salerno?

If not, you need only one base.

Mar 23rd, 2012, 01:18 PM

Hi:
I don`t think Ravello can be considered a good base; too isolated(but a must for a day or half day trip).
I will choose 4 nights Sorrento(good for Capri,Pompeii and Sorrento) and 4 nights Amalfi(good for Amalfi,Positano,Ravello,Paestum).But of course you can stay in just one place and visit all the Costiera; it is more a matter of preferences.Enjoy planning and your trip!!!
Mar 23rd, 2012, 01:19 PM

C:
In 2009 we visited the Amalfi Coasta and Rome; if you like, you can see my report by clicking on my name.
Mar 23rd, 2012, 02:03 PM

As you probably know, Sorrento is only about 30 minutes by bus from Positano; a little more by boat. Amalfi is further, but not much. So the answer to your question depends on whether you want to stay put or try another location.
Mar 24th, 2012, 08:31 AM

With 8 days I would certainly split up the time. I might even add a third destination. I did this last September--split the time between Praiano on the coast, Ravello in the hills, and Furore also in the hills. The options are endless and there is no one size fits all! And you could also stay put in one spot. If you choose the latter, my choice would be Amalfi.

You could spend a night or two in Ravello, or on Ischia, or Capri. Or a couple of nights in the hills above the coast (views!) perhaps at an agriturismo.

You should give us more of an idea of your interests and budget so you can receive better-targeted replies. Want to have lots of beach time? Hike? Interested in visiting ancient sites?
Special interest in food? Plan to day trip very day, or just relax in the gorgeous setting?

Here is the excellent report by Jelopez:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...1-to-oct-3.cfm

Will you have a car?
Mar 24th, 2012, 08:56 AM

Usually with eight days someplace (unless it's a major city) I prefer to break it up with two destinations - avoids a lot of travel time, backtracking,etc. But for the AC/Sorrento area I really preferred spending all of our eight nights in Sorrento and doing day trips. This is one place where the 'getting there' really is half the fun. Whether you go by boat or bus it's a scenic, enjoyable trip so making it more than once is pleasurable. We went to Positano and Amalfi by bus one day, then another day we went to Amalfi and Ravello by boat (well Ravello by bus obviously, and we walked back down to Amalfli). We also did day trips to Capri, Napoli, and Pompeii. We really loved Sorrento and thought it was a great base. Here's my trip report - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rful-weeks.cfm