Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Sorrento (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sorrento-229562/)

john b Jun 9th, 2002 03:31 PM

Sorrento

Can you help me? Pros and Cons between Hotel La Tonnarella and Hotel Minerva in Sorrento??<BR><BR>I would be very thankful for your help!!<BR><BR>johm

Marcia Jun 9th, 2002 05:46 PM

I can only tell you about the Hotel Minerva. We were there the end of May - had a very nice room with a terrace that overlooked the bay and Sorrento. Only a 15 minute walk up the hill and there are buses from the Piazza Tasso that run quite frequently. The staff was great - nice bar and area by the pool. It is very pleasant.

john Jun 11th, 2002 03:30 AM

Thanks!! Did you like the town of Sorrento?? How are the restaurants??<BR><BR>john

Anna Jun 11th, 2002 05:43 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Minerva about a month ago, very clean and pleasant rooms. We chose the Minerva over La Tonarella because it had a pool. We ate dinner one night at La Tonarella and I was kind of disappointed we hadn't stayed there. They had a nice dining room that overlooked the coast and an elevator that goes down to a beach. The Minerva also overlooks the coast, but it is across the road, while La Tonarella is on the coast side of the road. My guess is that the view rooms at La Tonarella would be quieter than those at the Minerva. To sum things up, we liked the Minerva, but if we return to Sorrento, I'd try La Tonarella.

Anna Jun 11th, 2002 04:05 PM

Our favorite restaurant in Sorrento was il Buco (www.ilbucoristorante.it), there is not much of any info at their website though. Dinner for 2 with wine was around 100 Euros. It would be wise to reserve in advance. We also ate dinner at L'Antica Trattoria (around 140 Euros with wine), I didn't think the food was as good as that at il Buco, however.

Andrea Jun 13th, 2002 07:21 AM

La Tonnarella gets the vote from me. Stayed there recently and it was divine. You would have to make sure you got a room on the sea side and not on the road side otherwise it could be pretty noisy as well. We were lucky to have a room with a terrace - the view took your breath away. We enjoyed restaurants L'Antica Trattoria and also La Favorita O'Parruchino - beautiful greenhouse setting. Ooooh - I'm so envious. Wish I could go back now!

Marsha Jun 17th, 2002 09:39 AM

Just spent 3 nights at Hotel Minerva. Some of the rooms have been redone and probably are nice, but our room was below the 5th floor reception area, and although we had a balcony and a beautiful view, the room was very noisy (trucks, busses, scooters, etc. constantly). Our room had long black hairs all over the floor...none of us have long black hair..and there was a terrible odor coming from the toilet.<BR>If you stay there ask for a room above the 5th floor. La Tonnarella is on the cliff below the noisy road. I walked there to try to get a room after our room was so bad, but they were full. My vote is for LaTonnarella.