Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Something diferent in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/something-diferent-in-paris-65537/)

claudia Mar 16th, 2000 03:54 AM

Something diferent in Paris

I´ve been in Paris twu times and did all the normal things ( Bateau Mouche , Louvre , Eifell , etc ...) <BR>Now I´m going there to saty two days. <BR>Somebody can sugest somethong diferent to do there ? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>Cláudia <BR> <BR> <BR>

bob Mar 16th, 2000 04:54 AM

Get a good guide book that has Paris neighorhood walks. You can spend a lot of time visiting areas such as the Marais section and others.

MKS Mar 16th, 2000 06:16 AM

What is a good guidebook with neighborhood walks? Any names?

Caitlin Mar 16th, 2000 07:01 AM

Michelin green guide has neighborhood walks that are supposed to be good

fem Mar 16th, 2000 11:31 AM

We have used "Walking Paris" - Thirty Original Walks In And Around Paris - by Gilles Desmons. All areas of Paris are covered in great detail and directions are easy to follow. Enjoy. <BR>

Bill Mar 16th, 2000 03:49 PM

The Andre-Jacqumart (sp?) on the Boulevard HOuseman is really an interesting small museum, mainly architecture and design a good luncheon <BR>spot as well. Walkable from Rue d'Rivoli. <BR>If you haven't been in the OPera Granier <BR>its a marvelous tour or walk. Beautiful <BR>marble and gilt. <BR>Have a wonderful time and take the above <BR>advice and walk, walk, walk. <BR>Bill

Janet Mar 16th, 2000 04:38 PM

I am so excited about your trip. I went to Paris in November for about the 4th time as well and did some different things. <BR> <BR>Concert at St Chapelle-highlight of my trip. I went to the violin concert. it was fabulous, make that FABULOUS. I reserved a ticket on line www.ampconcerts.com. <BR> <BR>Passages--these are elegant 18th-19th elegant covered arcades and were lovely and delightful to be in. <BR> <BR>Canal St. Martin--a 3 hours trip through Paris with locks and tunnels. a lovely trip. Departs Bassim de la Villette at 9:45 and 2:45 to Parc de l"arsenal or goes in the opposite direction at those same times. I just showed up but for reservations call 01-42-39-15-00. They also have 2 other longer canal trips. <BR> <BR>Musee de l"Orangerie des Tiuileries--another highlight. The Museum as a whole is closed EXCEPT for Monet's Water Lilies. They were F A B U L O U S <BR>I was awed. Closed Tues. <BR> <BR>Lourve--the French Crown Jewels (ist floor, #66 Apollo Gallery). Napolean III apts on the 1st floor as well. I spend about 2 hours on various days there so I don't get tired and know exactly where I want to go. As of Nov 1, it will not be open at night any more although I'd confirm that. <BR> <BR>Catacombs--what a sight. On an island at 1 place denfert-rochereau and open from 2-4. Sat and Sun open 9-11 and 2-4 but closed Momday. <BR> <BR>Sewers of Paris--I didn't go this time but went on a previous trip. No one else I know has gone there. Very interesting and not smelly. (egouts de paris at face au 93, quai d'orsay) <BR> <BR>Basilica of St. Denis--where all the kings of France are buried except 3. Great. <BR> <BR>Village St. Paul and Marais area--I go here every time I am in Paris. <BR> <BR>Walking tours--go to a large bookstore and they will have books. <BR> <BR>Send away to the French Tourist Bureau if you have time and all of the above is in the info they sent me. <BR> <BR>Web sites--all are www and .com unless org and fr as noted: <BR> <BR>parisbandb; gconline; chezvous; francetourism; search-beat; paris-touristoffice; france; discoverfreance; franceguide; adx.fr; wfi.fr; paris.org. <BR> <BR>Enjoy <BR> <BR> <BR>

Carol Mar 17th, 2000 06:31 AM

Janet--what a FABULOUS posting--seriously, thanks for taking the time-- short, sweet and such useful information.

sabrina Mar 17th, 2000 07:34 AM

Take a walking tour of Black Paris, led by Julia Browne. It is outstanding and very informative. Look up her information on the cafe de la soul website, www.cafedelasoul.com

Lesli Mar 17th, 2000 10:09 AM

Paris Walking Tours: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pariswalking/ <BR> <BR>Daily tours of various neighbohoods by knowledgeable local guides for 60 FF (about $9), no reservations necessary!

Paul Mar 17th, 2000 12:55 PM

Try Pere Lachaise (cemetary). <BR> <BR>

steve Mar 18th, 2000 06:25 AM

I am an anglophone presently living in Paris and I will tell you my two favorite weekend activities (one for each day). <BR> <BR>1. Take the RER at St. Michel to Versailles-Rive Gauche and walk the gardens and the grand canal in Versailles. If you visit on a Saturday or Sunday after May, you will be able to see the fountains turned on. BTW, things still look very nice after the tempete. <BR> <BR>2. Take the train from Gare du Nord to Chantilly. From the train station make a nice walk to the chateau where you will find a surprisingly well-stocked art gallery and a beautiful garden. There is also a museum for horse-lovers and a race track. There is also a forest to hike through if you would like to do this. <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage.