Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Something a bit FUNusual in northern England

Something a bit FUNusual in northern England

Aug 27th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Something a bit FUNusual in northern England

I posted this on another thread, but thought I'd let others know about it too, just in case:

If you're willing to head up to North Yorkshire, I can recommend something that's VERY unusual and lots of fun, too!

It's a place called The Forbidden Corner, near Leyburn.

http://www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/theforbiddencorner/

The website doesn't describe it very well, but here's what it is:

The Forbidden Corner is a private estate, with a very eccentric owner who used to be the English ambassador to Ecuador. He originally began to alter his estate as a way to provide entertainment for his many guests. In the beginning, there were mazes, and secret pathways....but now there is SO much more! A few years ago, he opened his estate, now called The Forbidden Corner, to the public, and it's been a runaway success.

When you enter The Forbidden Corner, you are given a brochure with clues. Generally, you are encouraged to follow the clues, which build into the clues for the next item on the map. There are secret pathways, caves, underground rooms, a hidden temple, mazes, a hand cast stone giant.... When you reach one spot in the garden, there is always a clue to guide you to the next spot. The clues are engraved in sculptures, rocks, hidden behind hedges, etc.

I can't tell you how MUCH fun this place is!!

I've only been to this unusual folly in the summer, when everything was in full bloom and the cover of all the foliage added to the mystery. However, The Forbidden Corner is open until Christmas, so going in the fall and winter might add a whole new element to the adventure.

Opening times are as follows:

Open everyday from 1 April to 31st October, and then Sundays until Christmas.
Monday to Saturday 12 noon - 6pm

Sundays & Bank Holidays 10am - 6pm
(or dusk if earlier)

Someone else has posted a few pics on the Internet, so take a look at those as well:

http://www.leafpile.com/TravelLog/En...ddenCorner.htm

Building work is continuing on the estate. In fact, I haven't been there in about 3 years, so I'm sure there are some things that I haven't even seen yet. My husband and I are going to take our son in a few weeks, and we can't wait to see the delight on his face. But even if you don't have kids, it's a blast. Last time we went with 4 other adults, no children at all. Our guests talked about it for days afterward. We had a great time!

Be aware that you MUST book tickets ahead, as it's an extremely popular place. The website tells you this also.

Aug 27th, 2003, 07:22 PM

Many thanks for the info, one more reason to visit N. Yorkshire again.

Search this Thread