Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Someone familiar with the coastalborder-spain/france

Jul 12th, 2001, 12:01 PM
sb

Please I need to get from Barcelona to Figueres (for the night) and then on to pick up car in Perpignan the next day on a Sunday. they tell me that the train and downtown car locations are closed on Sunday. I have no ides do I take the train or a bus?How do I get to the airport? Where can I find this info Thanks

Jul 12th, 2001, 12:39 PM
elvira

This is what I know:
Barcelona to Figueres via train. We didn't stay overnight, but spent 1/2 day at the Dali Museum then caught the train for a small town on the Perpignan line. At the Spanish border, we had to disembark to get on a French train (rail gauges are different, so the trains can't continue). We picked up a car in Perpignan center, but it was on a Monday. I would imagine that any car rental agency that services the airport will be open on Sunday.

There are buses to the airport, and a shuttle. It's only 5 km fron the city.

Jul 13th, 2001, 02:38 AM
Lesley

To get from Barcelona to Figueres take the train from either Sants or Passeig de Gracia station in Barcelona. The line is Barcelona to either Port Bou or Cebere. To get to Perpignan, take the same line (which runs on Sunday) from Figueres to Cebere. You will need to change here onto a French train, because as Elvira says, the gauges are different. From Cebere you will need to take the train to Perpignan. The airport is out of town not far from the motorway (is that where you are picking up the car?) Given it is a Sunday, I would take a taxi if the bus service isn't frequent.

To find the times of the trains in Spain, see the RENFE site (www.renfe.es/ingles/) and look under regional trains. The line is Barcelona Girona Figueres Port Bou (or Cerbere). (Port Bou is the last place in Spain, Cerbere the first in France)

Jul 13th, 2001, 06:29 AM
traveler

Which is closer to the ramblas?Garcia or Sants?---cccan you walkor what THANKS

Jul 13th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Lesley

Passeig de Gracia is closer. If you walk to the top of the Ramlas you come to Placa de Catalunya. Passeig de Gracia continues on the other side of the square in the same direction. I don't have a picture of the metro in my head; look at a map to see if you can do this by metro.

Jul 13th, 2001, 02:07 PM
Jean Valjean

The Passeig de Gracia station is much closer lo La Rambla than Sants.

If you are walking on La Rambla, get to Placa Catalunya, walk diagonally across the square, towards El Corte Ingles. Keep on walking west, and cross the street. If you see a Burger King across a rather wide street, then you know you are on Passeig de Gracia. Keep walking west on PdG, 4-5 blocks. The entrance to the TRAIN station is right in front of Casa Mila. Or, you can take metro line 3 at Drassanes (on la Rambla, near the port), Liceu (in front of the Liceu theater) or Catalunya (on Placa Catalunya), and get down on Passeig de Gracia and follow the signs.