Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Somebody...Anybody...I need info on Hotel Riva in Menton (French Riviera) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/somebody-anybody-i-need-info-on-hotel-riva-in-menton-french-riviera-177759/)

jack Mar 22nd, 2002 04:24 AM

Somebody...Anybody...I need info on Hotel Riva in Menton (French Riviera)

I just booked this hotel for a stay in Sept and am trying to find out info on it from someone who has stayed there, knows anyone who stayed there, passed by it, whatever....Hotel Riva offers a good rate and seaview rooms, but if the hotel sucks, I can try and find another.

Rex Mar 22nd, 2002 05:12 AM

Call me Pollyanna, but I believe - - generally - - in what a place tells me about itself. Do you have a web address for them? A telephone or mail address? How did you find them to book them? Ask them to send you a brochure through ordinary mail. I find that their response time to do that, their ability to spell your name right, and the general appearance of the brochure are all useful.<BR><BR>I guess we all become our parents at a certain age, because I sound like my dad writing this - - but if your whole trip is going to be framed by the notion that this airline, or this restaurant, or that hotel "sucks" and they're lying to me to get my business, I don't think you're going to have a very fun trip.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

George Mar 22nd, 2002 05:17 AM

Rex, no need to talk down to the guy. He's just looking for first hand info. As you don't have it, you didn't need to respond with a lecture.

jack Mar 22nd, 2002 05:27 AM

To Rex: Your response told me nothing except that you are presumptuous. As George so aptly put it, I don't need a lecture. I'm looking for information so if you don't have any, then don't respond.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Mar 22nd, 2002 05:38 AM

Jack, I do love Menton--you will too. I have stayed there twice but am not sure if the Riva is the hotel I picture.<BR>If so, think Hampton Inn on the Med. A good option is is the Prince de Galles that you can book thru Best Western. Good luck !

Rex Mar 22nd, 2002 06:41 AM

It was too lecture-y (so was my dad, always). I retract.<BR><BR>I stand by the advice to write to hotels and ask for a brochure. It frequently gives me a lot of useful insight into what kind of place it is.<BR><BR>I live. I learn.<BR>

jack Mar 22nd, 2002 07:10 AM

Thanks for the retraction, Rex.

John Mar 22nd, 2002 07:36 AM

Been by it but haven't stayed there, it looks like a bunch other 3-star hotels on the Menton waterfront. It's a ways from the old town, separated from the ocean by a busy-ish road. There's no beach at that end of hotel row, it's at the other end. But 3 stars ought to be comfortable enough.

HRH SBP Mar 22nd, 2002 11:34 AM

check out logis de france website and type in menton.<BR><BR>I have stayed at the Hotel Paris-Rome (named thus cuz Menton is halfway b/w the two cities). It is a 3 star hotel, very clean and comfortable, under 50 euros for a single room. actual closet with shelves, TV, decent sized bathroom with shower. <BR><BR>on the way far end of the beach road though - close to Italy. not an awful lot of restos or anything down there...<BR><BR>HRH

top Mar 22nd, 2002 03:43 PM

to the top<BR>