some thoughts about a recent trip to england and n wales

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from England last night, where I was there for a week+.

First, I flew business class on American. It was obviously nice to have a bigger seat, less busy bathrooms, and some free drinks.. But it was surprising how it really wasn't so different. I can see why people don't want to pay the prices of the regular carriers for something like business class, unless their employer is paying.

I discovered a hotel in Kensington by the name of Copthorne/Tara--right by the tube stop at high st. kensington. I had seen some nasty comments about it--but it was fine--$100/night on priceline. it was quite nice. they did give me twin beds, but I was alone and didn't really care. it was even air conditioned!

one thing i did in london that worked well was go to the tate modern during the later afternoon, and then stop for dinner at a pub -like place right next door on the thames, which was very nice and reasonable. it even had a patio which would have been nice except it was raining. I then went to the national theater for a play (they offer tickets for 10 pounds).

i had not encountered "oyster cards" for transport before. it's a great new development. at any tube station, you put some money on a card, then swipe it when you travel. the most you are charged any day is the maximum price for a day travel card. for indivudual trips, tube travel is 2 pounds (normally 4), bus is 1 (normally 2).

I went to a conference in chester via train. I had a great deal of difficulty understanding how to buy an advance ticket for the train via internet. I have since been told that the easiest way to do this is to book a ticket thru the Virgin trains web site--even if you are not using virgin trains. and then go to a machine at the station and have your ticket printed out before you get on.

Chester is a pretty little city--the cathedral is very beautiful early gothic.

from chester I took a short train to conwy. i stayed at the townhouse B & B, which was fine--very close to the train stop. (conwy normally is a demand stop--you have to tell someone you want to get off there.) The B & B had rooms with attached bath and rooms with bath down the hall. 35-45 pounds for bath down the hall, 60-70 for "en suite."

the castle is pretty magical. some of the turrets are still fairly intact. there is also a refurbished old house-16th century, i think, that is also very interesting. for a nice meal, go to the castle hotel.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

ttttt
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the report. Will you be posting pictures online?
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM

ttt
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

i will probably post pictures--if anyone has questions, pls ffeel free to ask.