Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Locations for watercolors or unframed prints in Vence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be traveling to Venice in Oct I would like recommendations for shops selling reasonably priced prints or watercolors of Venice. Also, do they also sell roller tubes for packing/ mailing? Thank you.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM

Don't worry. There are plenty of places to find such things all over Venice.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 12:18 PM

You want to buy prints (photographs?) while in Venice? FYI, you can buy prints of Venice online and have them shipped directly to you (hint hint - click on my name/profile. ).

I was last in Venice in 2009 and recall seeing some standard souvenir prints of Venice sold in the stores there; I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy mailing tubes as well but I wasn't paying much attention to that.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a [in my opinion] lovely modernistic print of Venice in a shop near the friari.

I think they have now moved [back to?] the ghetto:

http://www.melori-rosenberg.com/gallery.php

they packed the print up for me so that I would pack flat into my case quite safely.

i'm sure that there are others.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You must look carefully to make sure they are watercolors and not copies. Color copiers are so good these days and I've seen quite a few printed on textured paper sold as watercolors.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 02:08 PM

Fish in a barrel -- there are plenty. You are not the first person to think you might want such a memento.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 03:36 PM

Hmmm !
I thought you meant Vence, France
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM

Don't feel bad, Bob, I misread "Palma, Spain" as "Parma, Italy" in a thread the other day! I think I got this one right though...
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 05:24 AM

Note the title.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 03:57 PM

I commented on this guy when I wrote a trip report:

There’s an awful lot of art in Venice, and a lot of awful art. Ditto for glass. Street art seems to have a single theme – a bridge and a gondola. But we’ve found an artist who really CAN do gondolas, and he’s done a series of gondola paintings – from Giotto to Picasso, and they really grabbed me. http://www.collezioneimpossibile.com/introen.html refers, and it fun. How would Leonardo have painted a gondola? This guy’s thought it through, the result being a little Leonardo series of details, so similar to Leonardo’s sketches for, say, a helicopter. The Van Gogh gondola is painted in typical Van Gogh fashion, Picasso’s gondola is all over the place, ferro to port, multiple oars. Magritte’s gondolas are floating in the air. The one I liked most was the series of three, showing how Mondrian might have interpreted the gondola. I’ve never been able to “get” Mondrian, always seeing his work as a bunch of interesting patterns, primary colours. But seeing this mock-Mondrian has allowed me to maybe see his work in a different light. The gallery is easy to find – walk down the Riva degli Schiavoni, left into Calle del Dose, through Campo Bandiera e Moro, into Salizzada Sant Antonin, and it is on your left, next to a toy shop. (Apropos of nothing, an elephant that escaped from a visiting zoo was shot in the Church of San Antonin, in about 1815.)

This artist, Giorgio Ghidoli, has also painted some great views of ordinary Venetian life. One work that I covet, but can’t afford, shows a traghetto pulling in, probably at San Sofia. There’s a static quality to the work, and at the same time a sense of impending movement, men in overcoats getting ready to alight. I can’t afford the original, but there’s a sketch, a preliminary, that I’m of a mind to buy.

or:

Another artist has given me the solution to a long standing problem. Lou’s been suggesting, requesting, asking, demanding and finally nagging me to buy No 1, Santa Croce for her. She fancies having a micro-palazzo of her own, and I should just get on with it and purchase the place. The fact that I’d have to win the lottery – twice – to fund the purchase and restoration is not seen as any impediment.

We’ve compromised. Giorgio Ghidoli does good water colour paintings, along with gondolas as Paul Klee, Mondrian, Picasso and Jackson Pollock would have painted them, were they so inclined. I bought a watercolour of the Ponte San’ Antonin, almost the view from his studio, as I like San’ Antonin, the slaughterhouse for the escaped elephant. We asked Giorgio whether he’s painted No 1, Santa Croce, and while he indicated that no, he hadn’t, he’d be happy to produce a watercolour if we could furnish some photos. Too easy.

So I’ll at least buy an image of No 1 for Lou, which will hopefully get her off my back. The painting will be done in a week or two, so she’ll own No 1 before we leave Venice.

or:
We’ve been in Italy for eight weeks now. I have been ripped off totally once by a cab driver in Rome, slightly exploited (or rather, Lou was exploited) buying a dodgy set of watercolours, which have been proven to be photocopies. But oh, how we’ve had lovely transactions. We commissioned a watercolour from Giordio Ghidoli, an artist that we like, of a building that we like, and he’s done it. We can see ourselves as patrons of the arts in Venice, and the painting will be a treasure. I’d asked him if he had any studies of an oil that he’d done of the San Sofia traghetto, and no, he hadn’t. He’d sold the study I’d seen two years ago. But when we went to collect the watercolour, he indicated “You might be interested in this”. A pastel of the traghetto, arriving on the San Sofia side of the Grand Canal. It captures the stillness as the traghetto pulls in, the bow oarsman reaching for the post, the stern oar just guiding, the arches of the Pescheria just faintly shown, the passengers disinterested in what is happening because they’ve seen it a thousand times.

Ghidoli drew that, knowing that I’d not be able to resist it. Molto Veneziano!