Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Some general advice about European travel, money matters, what to pack, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from Geremany and Austria and even though we have been traveling in Europe for years we are still learning.
Here are some general thoughts:

1. ATMs worked great for us but we almost lost money due to our own ignorance. At our ATM at home the machine doesn't return the card until afer the money comes out and the transaction is over. At the ATMs we used on our trip the card comes out first (with a message that says "please take your card" We thought that meant the transaction did not go through and almost walked away until we heard the machine spitting out the money. We almost walked away from 300 Euros!

2. A lot has been posted on taking wash cloths since European hotels don't provide them. The small hotels and pensions that we stayed in also did not provide kleenex. Of course you can buy a box at any local grocery store but it's a good idea to pack several of those small travel size packets.

3. Take some large zip lock bags. Some of the best sights in Europe are in gardens and along the roadsides so picnic lunches are great. Take some bags which will spill proof your food (plus you can fill a bag with ice for an improvised cooler for your wine, beer, or juice).

4. Buy bottled water and bring something to carry it in. A daypack with waterbottle holders is great or buy a strap that can attach to a bottle and wear it over your shoulder.

5. If you plan to do any grocery shopping be aware that stores do not offer free sacks. Either bring some canvas or plastic bags or be prepared to pay extra for them.

6. Many restrooms (public toilets and those in restaurants and beer halls) have attendents who should be tipped. Always carry a pocketful of small change (20 to 50 cents pieces).

7. Remember that the word for the place that we in America called "restroom", "ladies room" etc. is TOILET (no that is not a rude word in Europe). If you need to find one you should ask for the Toilet (or perhaps the WC).

8. Always learn how to say please, thank you, hello and goodbye in the local language. Every shop clerk, waiter, hotel clerk, etc. greets you when you enter and it is polite to greet them and also say thanks you and goodbye when you leave. Don't start your transactions at stores, post offices, restaurants without a polite greeting. We found our service better by being polite in the local language, not bursting into English and assuming they speak it. Although many people working in the tourist towns do speak English we always ask in the local language if they do before we start a conversation.

9. Don't expect to always get menus with English translations. If you have special diet needs (such as being vegetarian or being allergic to shellfish, etc) learn how to say that in the local language as soon as the waiter asks to help you, they can guide you through the menu better.

10. Use the internet for research before you go. There are great programs for maps (I liked viamichelin.com) to figure out locations of hotels, car rental offices, etc. Plus every small town we visited on our most recent trip had a website with an e-mail contact. We were able to find out about local festivals that we would have never known about otherwise. They went out of their way to answer our e-mails promptly and offer advice on sightseeing.

11. Every small town we went through had coin operated lockers at the train stations. These were easy to use and allowed us to see something other than the train station if we had an extra hour between connections. It was worth the 2-3 Euro to lock up our bags and take a walk through town.

12. Which brings me to the best advise that you will always hear. PACK LIGHT and wear very comfortable shoes. If you have new shoes or some that you haven't worn in a while break them in before you leave home. In Texas I don't wear anything but sandels from April until October. Even though I took my well worn pair of walking shoes my feet weren't used to all day walking in socks and shoes and I still got blisters!

Old Oct 11th, 2003, 11:39 AM

13. Carry a roll of sports tape - as soon as you feel a 'rubby' spot on your feet, tear off a piece of the tape and cover it (every day). You will avoid a blister and walk blissfully thereafter.
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 11:53 AM

abbekit, that's an excellent list! I would add, though that allergies, vegetarian limitations, etc. should be put into writing for your server to read, rather than you relying on trying to communicate orally under distracting circumstances. Especially if immediate health concerns (i.e., serious allergies) are involved. I have enough trouble explaining my shellfish allergy to English-speaking staff!
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 03:47 PM

#12 is great. A very well travelled friend of mine gave me this good advice years ago....Determine what you think you should bring and then take exactly half of that. I have been following this advice and am down to 1/4 of what I would have taken 20 years ago.

ATS: Many NA ATM's are similar...you must take you card before the cash spits out. Reason is so that people do not forget to take the credit card or bank card.

Here are 2 more: Take copies of your credit cards and passport and leave them in your luggage seperate from all else. When travelling, ensure you have 2 different methods of accessing you ATM and take 2 credit cards. Leave one hidden in your room. If you get pickpocketed, as I did in Naples, you will still be OK. Also agree that number 8 works really well and don't forget NOT to shout or speak loudly-everyone can see that you are tourists and have already made the assumption as to where you are from.

And finally...you will find that many handicapped washrooms have hot water while many of the regular ones just have cold!
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 09:42 AM
adoptionisfab

This is a great list. It has taken me many years to come up with a list this comprehensive. #12 is my favorite. I save my old worn out but comfortable soes for trips and then toss them before coming home.

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 01:26 PM

abbekit,
That is a geat post. Thanks.