some Gallic Symbols - photos from my recent trip to La Belle France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I've been home for 2 months, and still haven't written my dang trip report, nor the one for San Francisco, and I am starting to plan another one (Bordeaux?? Rome?? where will we go?) I figured I better at least put up some photos.

This was late May-early June.

Paris, Brittany, Normandy. I was in Bayeux for the 60th Anniversary of the landings (D-Day - le Choc)

Enjoy! please ask questions if you like, and I do promise to write up a trip report at some point. but since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are 160,000 words.

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=eldvm1b...&y=-v31lqj
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 03:44 PM

Great photos- Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had great weather.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:03 PM

"Gallic symbols"...I love it! Very clever. What a great photo with that heading.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

glad you liked them!

the weather was utterly perfect. CAVU (clear air, visibility unlimited), mid 70s, no humidity - for just about the entire trip, including Switzerland. A spot of rain the day I left Paris, and indeed saw this throughout much of my route that entire day (via Villedieu les Poeles, Dinan) but the next day - back to perfect again and it stayed.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:06 AM

Great photos, as always, Flygirl! Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

some more photos I forgot about...

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=eldvm1b...&y=-5xmqt2

these were with my ancient Canon AE-1, I am not pleased with many of them, especially as compared to my new Canon Powershot s400 digital, which are the above.

still have not written my report. dang it!

Rome and London are up next!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Ehanks Flygirl for sharing. I vote for the second dog photo.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mimi! Did you see the second batch? They were from Dinan, Perros Guirec, and some from Audierne.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Great photos! THere is one of a house/store front with blue shutters...
sigh...

and in the second batch, a street scene where a lady is putting out her trash...where is that? Its so "tutorish"? Brittany or Normandy?

You are gifted! Thank you...helps me "remember"
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 06:01 AM

So, that's what those Gallic symbols are!

Nice photos! What's the megapixels on your camera?
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

thanks!! glad you like them. I really did like the old lady putting out the trash one - in person. the photo is all blurry (old camera). It was in Dinan - Brittany.

the second ofoto batch was taken with an ancient Canon AE-1. I didn't realize it, but the lens was starting to go! By the time I got to Switzerland, it was shot.

grrrrrrr! I am taking it to London/Rome with a new lens, but, only loading B&W in that camera - to get some 'mood' shots.

the digital camera is 4 MP. I might upgrade that one this spring to a 5 or 6. although my one Eiffel Tower shot blew up to 20x30 inches beautifully so it's clear 4 MP is not bad.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 06:49 AM

I have an old (ancient) AE1 SLR with a 70mm lens. If this is the same (or similar) one that you used, then did you scan your images into your PC?

We currently use a Canon Powershot Digital and a Leica film camera when we travel. I use the film camera and my wife uses the digital. Although I like the prints that comes our from my camera, I'm looking for the best way to load the images into my PC. Thanks.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, I did, they are wonderful and bring back memories of how I like that area so much but VERY different from my home of the heart-Provence.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Mimi - glad you liked them, you are right - so different! But I still thoroughly enjoyed myself and want to go back. I can see why it's a popular vacation destination for Brits, there is a lot of outdoorsy stuff to do but the weather is better. I had FABULOUS weather but for one day (the day I mostly used my Canon AE-1)

ezlivin - we have the same camera. I think mine is an AE-1 Program, which I actually like less than the regular one, which I used to have until it was stolen (shortly after my arrival home from one trip 11 years ago - ironic. you can travel with a backpack all over Europe no probs, come home and wham it gets stolen). This is the third wide angle zoom I've put on it, I seem to be hard on my cameras. This trip next I am just loading it with B&W, and putting a new fixed aperture (52MM) lens on it - that's it.

My digital is a Canon Powershot S400. I love it!

I take my film prints to Penn Camera, and 200-300 dollars later I have a bunch of photos. this time I just put them on disk - didn't save much money alas. I figured I would pick the ones I like, for printing, later.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Just checked out the first 60 of your beautiful photos. Especially liked the Gallic symbols, particularly the embellished one. Will enjoy the rest of the show later in the day.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Thanks for posting the photos...sitting at the office, needing a fix..and there it was Love the Paris photos, but that house with the blue awnings..that says 'France' to me.
needing a holiday,
Mike
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Flygirl-
I know you posted this back in August, but I've just finished viewing your photos. They are Amazing! I love the shots you selected and the different angles you used to capture the moment.

The doggie photos really tugged at my heart. He was sooo cute.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

SuzieC & Michel- that house with blue shutters... that was a screeeeeech and backup for the photos. I was actually driving around looking for the menhirs... the owners probably thought I was nuts.

There were SO many houses that were made even more beautiful by the many flowers.

Another house near Audierne was similarly gorgeous... I didn't take it on the way to Pointe du Raz, (I went horseback riding close to there, by the way, if anyone goes, let me know, I'll give you the info - many photos of cliffsides and water were from that ride) but instead decided to get it on the way back..

but when I approached it on the way back, the owner came out and kinda gave me a funny look (I had already stopped by the side of the road) and I was too embarrassed to take it. Although I am sure she would have been flattered.

another photo you see in the second batch was on my cliffside drive, more gorgeous flowers, I was snapping away and the owner came out and was all excited to see me taking pictures, told me stories about his house and his ducks and rabbits all over.

Betsy and Travelribbon - thank you!

I am having a nice flashback. the weather was utterly perfect I tell you, save for one day.

sigh.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

topping for MelJ who is planning this trip very very soon!