Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Solo travellers - Who's still going to Italy?

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 02:12 AM
Vita

I'm planning on going next week, but the rumors in Europe are getting me a little spooked. Those who said they are going seem to be going with at least one travel partner. Just curious if there are any solo travellers that are still going.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 06:15 AM
bb

I'm still planning on going...leaving next week also for 15 days. As always, you just have to keep yourself aware of your surroundings...I can't say that I'm not a little bit apprehensive-you would be foolish if you were not. I'm taking a list of family friends and relatives throughout Europe just so I feel I am not totally alone. I think--and hope---that the beauty of the old world will have a calming effect for me.

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 06:29 AM
pleasetell

Vita - would you elaborate on those "rumors in Europe" that are getting you a little spooked?

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Vita

OK. But first let me say, I think I've been a little crazy for the past couple of days trying to find answers in the media to influence my decision of whether or not to go to Italy. I think the following examples merely demonstrate that a terrorist threat has always existed. I was planning on going before Sept.11 and, goshdarnit!, there's no reason why I shouldn't go now. Sorry if I spooked YOU. That said:

There was a story about the five Afghani men who were arrested in Rome. This story appeared on the site, CNN.com, and the Washington Post, but there was little info. It could be nothing but it had me wondering if something might be planned for Rome. The Post reported that they were, in fact, detained for being illegal immigrants.

Then I read in the Post that the former king of Afghanistan has been living in Rome.

There were suggestions on this site that terrorists might attack the Vatican since it's a symbol of Christianity.

There are various stories about terrorist cells throughout Europe, people in London buying gas masks, and the possibilities of chemical and biological warfare throughout the world!

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 07:45 PM
monski

You bet your bippy I'm going! Leave Sat 10/6 for 2 weeks in Italy. My first trip there, and the first time I'll be traveling solo in Europe. The occasional pre-WTC jitters I may have had about being a single female traveling alone in Italy have fallen by the wayside - in retrospect, they seem like frivolous musings of a spoiled American girl (um, that would be me). To reiterate what others have said, using our smarts and keeping safety top of mind will be key, but it's time to get back on the horse (for this girl, anyway - I understand those who may feel that it's better to postpone or cancel, based on their own circumstances). Best wishes for a GREAT TRIP to all who choose to go!

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Lesli

Yes, still going, and not particularly spooked. (Have done Italy solo for at least parts of trips twice before.)

Vita - I think parts of our itineraries overlap; if you're interested in trying to meet for dinner or something, e-mail me directly.

-- Lesli

Old Sep 25th, 2001, 09:51 PM
kath

My travel partners have cancelled so I am suddenly traveling alone for 3 weeks beginning Oct. 10. I want to have a planned itinerary with hotel phone numbers I can leave back home (not my preferred way to travel). Since I now have to make new arrangements to fit my new (cheap) budget I am hoping for some suggestions - Venice, Florence and Italian Riviera. Can you help???

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 04:33 AM
Rex

I am here in Italy (Venice today) - - and I sense NOTHING that should get a person "spooked"

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Vita

Thanks, Rex and all. It's comforting to know that I'm not being irrational about wanting to go. I'm getting excited about my trip again!

Kath, I haven't yet been to Florence, but if you're interested in cheap accomodations, Instituto Gould, a hostel in the Oltrarno, was recommended in my Let's Go guide. It's very cheap and some rooms have bathrooms. There were no single rooms with bath available for the time period when I will be there. Otherwise, I would have stayed there. (Phone 055 21 25 76).

I was supposed to go to leave for Italy a couple of weeks ago. I first reserved with Locanda Orchidea near the duomo, also recommended in my Let's Go guide. I don't think any of their rooms have bathrooms, but they seemed very nice over e-mail and were very understanding when I had to cancel my trip. (E-mail: [email protected]).

Otherwise, you might want to post another message so that your request doesn't get lost in this post. Have fun!

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 11:31 AM
robin-k

Vita, I was talking with my friend who lives in Italy. She's an American & at this moment, is here in States visiting family. She was amazed when I told her about people's concerns about going to Italy. She will be flying back to Italy on Wednesday and Liz has no qualms about traveling nor that there will be any reason for worry when she returns to Italy.

As someone who's gone to Italy several times in recent years, I know you'll have a wonderful time. Buon Viaggio !

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 11:38 AM
amy

Vita, I was wondering if you are still going to Italy as of the latest travel warnings issued by the state dept.If so, what is your reasoning.I dont mean to be antagonistic, just curious.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Vita

Amy, The travel warning does not seem different from previous travel warnings that I've seen. It's been painfully clear that Bin Laden is targetting Americans, but I also know that this thing isn't ending any time soon, and I want to get on with my life. Yes, I'm nervous about going abroad, but I can't bring myself to cancel this trip from fear of the unknown.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Vita

I should also mention that I live in DC and could see the Pentagon burning from my office building. I used to go on walks through DC and by the White House after work and still do.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 12:53 PM
robin-k

Vita:

I don't live in Wash DC or NY. You and some of the other posters on this forum, have come face-to-face with results of terrorists activities in a way that I have not experienced. Seen your queries over past few months, gathering info and I do hope your trip goes well.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 05:08 AM
Ken

Sure I am going. I've got 9 days in France, and 2 weeks in Italy (the first half of which is on an organized bike trip but the rest of the trip in Italy and all of France is solo).

If you travel alone there is absolutely no way that random people will know your nationality, unless you make it obvious yourself through either your dress or your behavior. Casual dress is remarkably similar throughout the western world, and if you see someone wearing blue jeans in Italy the odds are overwhelming they are Italian.

Keep an eye on your immediate surroundings (which you should do in any event to avoid the ubiquitous pickpockets and other minor hazards of travel) and use a modicum of common sense. You will do fine.

rgds,

ken