Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Solo traveler turned away at dinner in Italy - will it be the same in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,

When I was in Italy this past May, I was turned away from 3 restaurants while in Bologna, and this happened in one night. I traveled solo and that evening was the only time I had any problems finding a place to dine by myself.

Will I find this to be the same in Paris? Should I make reservations for 2 and then show up alone? Or are the French more receptive to solo travelers? Or, was my experience that one night in Bologna a rare occurrence?

Would love your comments!

Thanks,

Monica
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 06:34 PM

Hi Monica!

Just back from Paris and I can assure you there were many solo diners, both men and women...in fact, when we ate at Fous d'en Face a woman brought her dog in(I presume she was the owner)sat him in a chair at our next table, and then went about her business. He was very quiet and friendly.

Sandy
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 06:43 PM

Hi Monica,

I'm so sorry and so discouraged that you, as a solo traveler, was turned away in Bologna. Of all places, I would have thought a college town would be more receptive to solo travelers.

I hope you wouldn't find the same attitude in Paris...
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 08:06 PM

Was it possible that the restaurants in Bologna were fully booked before you got there?
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 08:44 PM

I've never had a problem dining solo either anywhere in Italy or in Paris. This seems very odd!!

In fact, often the owners put me in a friendly corner where they keep a kindly eye on me. I've been treated very kindly/respectfully, even more so than when traveling and dining with the hubby.

Very sorry to hear of your experience and hope it isn't repeated.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 08:58 PM

That happened recently to me in Rome, because I wanted to sit at an outside table, in a restaurant near Santa Maria Maggiore, but they said I would have to sit inside, because outside tables were for two or more. Since I speak Italian, and that is the only time that has ever happened to me, I let them have a piece of mind, in no uncertain terms-and of course, I did not take a table inside the restaurant, I left.

Paris isn't like that. I have dined in all manner of restaurants, indoor or outdoor tables, and never has there been a suggestion that I couldn't sit somewhere because I was dining solo. I am surprised that that happened to you in Bologna, of all places, and repeatedly as well-if that had happened to me, I would email the Bologna City Tourism Authority about it-that's hugely unacceptable.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:05 AM

OK..it happened three times but DID you finally get into a restaurant?

Did anyone TELL you the reason you were turned away was because you were alone?

Unfortunately, a lot of other possible reasons come to mind for these occurrences.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:23 AM

Since you're female, I assume they thought you were a prostitute. It's sad that kind of mindset (single woman going to a restaurant = hooker looking for johns) still exists...
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 12:46 AM

This has happened to me and is to be expected in small, busy restaurants. They'd rather a table for two were occupied by two people, not one. It's simple economics - empty seats in a restaurant mean lost revenue. The solution is to pick bigger, less popular restaurants which are more likely to have space, or to dine earlier in the evening before restaurants get really busy.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:50 AM

I have been to Paris many, many times..solo..never had a dining problem.

I always have reservations..that may be the difference!

Enjoy........
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:51 AM

Despite Geoff's advice which I would tend to agree and the implication that this can happen to men or women I do still wonder if the fact that you are a female had something to do with this.

And yes, Monica, I still would like to know where you finally ate that night, too.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:16 AM

I am a mature woman that travels solo.
The only time anything similar happened to me was in London of all places. But really it was because they were already fully booked. When it became clear that I would be leaving the place before 8 pm to make a show, there was no further difficulty and I got a good dinner for a decent price.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:25 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's more likely that they didn't want to "waste" a table that can sit two, rather than they thought the OP is a prostitute. Not that either is an acceptable reason, of course.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:26 AM

but just in case one can always try with "I'm not a prostitute, may I have a table for one please"
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:28 AM

I'm a solo male, and I did not have trouble eating alone in Paris.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:33 AM

Monica:

I’ve made seven solo trips in the past nine years, four in Italy (including a three-day stay in Bologna) and three in France, and the ony times I’ve ben turned away were when I was told a restaurant was fully booked. Occasionally I make reservations, but more often I take my chances with restaurants that have solid reputations (but aren’t Michelin three-stars), arriving there before they become ultra-busy, just before 8pm. In the approximately 80 dinners I’ve had over that time, I may have been refused maybe four times. And my second choice, so to speak, on those four occasions have worked out fine.

You won’t have a problem in Paris. Some solo-diner-friendly places, at least in my experience, include Le Manege de l’Ecuyer (Right Bank — rue de la Sourdiere), Au Jardin (rue Git le Coeur —been there three times), Camille (3rd arrondisement), Le Florimond (7th arrondisement — Avenue de la Motte-Picquet) very friendly, with terrific food), Yugaraj (rue Dauphine — amazing Indian food —been there twice), and Le Petit Troquet (7th arrondisement — rue de l’Exposition). Other Fodorites will have additional solid dining options, I’m sure.

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 04:55 AM

Monica I ate alone several lunches and dinners in Paris and had no problem. BUT I did call ahead to reserve and saw others (couples and groups) turned away at place I was eating in becaue they did not reserve. I am not talking about Michelin restaurants here. And there were many empty tables near me. That is one reason I always reserve ahead, even if it is the same day.

Once in a while single diners just get bad treatment and I am sorry this happend to you...three times! On a radio food show, FoodTalk, WOR-Am, here in NYC, the host was talking about just this subject a few weeks ago and was very annoyed by the fact that he was told there were no seats, and then made to wait, at a small, not fancy, Italian place here in the City...cause he was solo. So it does happen, for economic reasons I suspect.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:30 AM

If I were alone and restaurant staff said they couldn't accommodate me, I'd assume it was because they didn't have a table for one or didn't want to lose revenue by giving me a table for two. I wouldn't take it as an insult and certainly wouldn't assume it was because I might be a prostitute. It is obvious common sense that restaurants will want to accommodate the maximum number of people rather than have empty seats. The solutions are obvious: book in advance or accept that you need to be more flexible in your timing and choice of eating places.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:36 AM

I never had problems getting a table for myself in Paris, and I've never traveled solo to Italy so don't know about how it is to get a solo table.

However, Bologna is miniscule compared with Paris so most likely perhaps it was just what others said and they didn't have a table for one person at those restaurants you went to.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 05:43 AM

Monica,
Just got back on Monday from a solo trip to Paris. Went for 5 sit down meals (cafes/restaurants) and had no problem at all being seated. This is no different from previous solo trips to Paris. I don't see any problems for you either.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -