Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Solo senior travel to Eastern Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/solo-senior-travel-to-eastern-europe-1173401/)

mazLulu Jan 2nd, 2017 02:14 PM

Solo senior travel to Eastern Europe

I'm a senior woman planning a solo trip in mid September 2017, I expect to be gone approximately 1 month (more or less)
I want to spend about a week in the Krakow area, and others to see Budapest, Prague, Dubrovnik and Montenegro. I would appreciate and info, suggestions, and or tips from anyone having done the same itinerary. I want the best and easiest routing, plane, train or hired car all a possibility. Not sure if I want to rent a ar and drive.
Thank you in advance for anything you care to share.

Andrew Jan 2nd, 2017 02:32 PM

You might better response if you "tag" your posts like this with the countries in question; you can still email the editors to do so (email addr is simple: editors - AT - fodors DOT com).

Krakow, Prague, and Budapest are well connected by train (there's a new direct train going in between Krakow and Prague this year I believe). I think the connection between Budapest and Krakow is not great unless you like night trains; I trained on different trips between Krakow and Czech Republic and between Prague and Budapest. So I'd probably train Krakow-Prague-Budapest or in the other direction.

I'd probably begin my trip in Dubrovnik/Montenegro (which are connected by bus) and end it up north. See if you can fly into Dubrovnik, bus down to Montenegro, then fly up to Krakow or Budapest from Dubrovnik (maybe better flights certain days of the week). (Dubrovnik's airport is south of Dubrovnik not far from the Montenegro border.) Then fly home from either Budapest or Krakow (the opposite city that you flew into from Dubrovnik), and train from Krakow to Prague to Budapest or vice versa.

You could bus from Dubrovnik north to the Budapest but there's no direct train; you could bus up to Zagreb and train from up there, but it would be quite a long ride. Flying would be easier, obviously.

The reason I suggest beginning in Dubrovnik is that I think it's better to be there in mid-September than in mid-October, when the Dalmatian coast tourist scene is starting to shut down - at least it was when I was in Dubrovnik in mid-October a few years ago. Up north, in Prague, Budapest, and Krakow, it probably won't matter if you go in September vs. October.

JulieVikmanis Jan 2nd, 2017 03:06 PM

Great advice, Andrew.

kja Jan 2nd, 2017 04:16 PM

I can easily understand your interest in seeing these places and can assure you that they can be readily managed by a solo female traveler!

Andrew has given you some great ideas. You can also get some options from rome2rio.com, but be sure to check on what you learn there, as it is not always up-to-date or fully accurate. (GREAT starting place, though!)

One suggestion, if I can step out-of-the-box a bit -- Dubrovnik and Montenegro are somewhat far afield from your other destinations, and you would be skipping a LOT in between Krakow, Budapest, and Prague to get to Dubrovnik and Montenegro. You might want to consider some other options -- not because these places aren't worth seeing (they are, IMO!), but because of all the places you will be missing with this particular possible itinerary. Just a thought....

mazLulu Jan 3rd, 2017 11:01 AM

Thanks to all,
Andrew, this was my first post on this site, I will do the suggested tags.
As I'm just in the starting stage, my times can and most likely will be adjusted to the month of September, which is when I usually travel.

kja, I will check other sites, and of course these are the places I'm most interested in since they seem to be the most popular...but even that is possible to adjust.